Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 6, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #2,971 of 4,535
For movies B8 is a bit problematic - long-term comfort isn't great.
Pro 82 is perfect for movie-watching (and everything else :jecklinsmile:), but if you watch a lot of action movies, the extra bass of GM200 makes it worth considering too: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33012705103.html

Sep 8, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #2,975 of 4,535
I just found a new store on AliExpress created in mid August and claiming to be “Takstar Official”:
https://takstar.aliexpress.com/store/5228019
The link also seems to work as a simpler AE subdomain: https://takstar.aliexpress.com/, so it all looks legit to me.

Just contacted them about Pro 82 and to verify their identify. Maybe we will have a direct way to communicate with Takstar, finally! :tada:

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #2,976 of 4,535
During the last Aliexpress sale, I tried to purchase another SMSL Idea, before they are gone for good.

I purchased one from SMSL-Audio store, They have replied to me that Idea is out of stock, and they should receive a new shipment in 30 days.
I have asked them if they are sure that another shipment will come in 30 days, and they said yes.

This looked a bit fishy to me, so although I did extend order's processing time, I did order another one from "Forexmen Audio Store" - this one shipped immediately.
Few days later SMSL-Audio contacted me offering a black Idea instead of the red one, and ended up confirming end of Idea's production for good:
upload_2019-9-13_19-18-44.png

I agreed to the black one, so I should be OK for a while with two extra Ideas :jecklinsmile:

Both stores are now sold out, here is the only store still listing Idea: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32863629296.html
Get one before it's too late.

Sep 13, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #2,977 of 4,535
Today I hooked Pro 82s to FX-Audio DAC-X7. Not good sound on 3.5mm out but much much better on the 6.25mm one (seems they like low impedance out). There was a deep bass thumping that I wasn't aware they are capable of producing, very spacious sound, lots of details and what's more important everything sounds fluid. Honestly, I'm surprised with these cans - every time I connect them to a better source/amp they just sound better and better... they are very transparent and capable of taking advantage of good sources.

Sep 13, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #2,978 of 4,535
Today I hooked Pro 82s to FX-Audio DAC-X7. Not good sound on 3.5mm out but much much better on the 6.25mm one (seems they like low impedance out). There was a deep bass thumping that I wasn't aware they are capable of producing, very spacious sound, lots of details and what's more important everything sounds fluid. Honestly, I'm surprised with these cans - every time I connect them to a better source/amp they just sound better and better... they are very transparent and capable of taking advantage of good sources.
I always say that when you are listening to Pro 82s, you are actually listening to your sound chain - Pro 82s don't really have their own sound.
The only other headphone that I could say this about is Stax 009 (which I own, but rarely listen to).
Stax L300 is equally transparent, but it definitely has its own sound. The other 4 electrostats I own can't compete with Pro 82s' transparency.

Sep 14, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #2,979 of 4,535
My V1 have a sound to me, do I like that sound, yes.
All my headphones have a signature to my ear.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #2,980 of 4,535
My V1 have a sound to me, do I like that sound, yes.
All my headphones have a signature to my ear.

Try listening to Pro 82 with a dozen of different Amps and DACs, and you'll see how different Pro 82 will sound.
Of course, no Amp/DAC will ever change Pro 82's FR, but they will determine the level of transparency, quality of bass and the timbre.

For example, recently I listened to Pro 82 through Geek Out 1000 and Geek Out V2+ (both as DAC only, using O2 as an amp):
Geek Out 1000 - Sounds very similar to Oppo HA-2SE, but adds a small coloration, making the sound more "liquid", without making it warmer - a very exciting, yet natural sound.
I need to listen to it some more to decide if it can be another "synergy" combo - it definitely has the potential.
Geek Out V2+ - Takes the "liquid" sound one step forward, basically sounds like Oppo HA-2SE with a hybrid/tube amp. The notes become a bit too thick for me.

Pro 82 V1 has a less flat FR than Pro 82 V2, but it's still neutral enough to let your sound chain (and of course your music) to shine through.

Sep 15, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #2,983 of 4,535
Hey @Hal Rockwell, eager to read your more detailed impressions.
Will you compare to Pro 82 w/ and w/o bass boost?

I might, but much later. Lately, I'm on a tight schedule, and I still have products that I received and didn't even get to unbox.

If you have specific question, I might find the time to answer, without writing a complete review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back