Takstar HF 580 Planar Headphones
Jun 5, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #392 of 1,250
First impression with the chinese HM5 hybrids pads: Darker than my HE-500 and more subbass. The soundstage is smaller. I dont know if I like it. Need more impressions
These China HM5 pads lowers middle so it can get too dry if not done some modifications to the cushions. I like it when fixed with mods.Original pads give u more middle and make sub bass more distance. But it's not perfect and I have more pads coming...

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #393 of 1,250
I'm looking for a dark headphone, on the smooth side. Would this fit the bill?

Jun 5, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #394 of 1,250
Not really... This is bright and quite balanced sounding headphone at the beginning. But after some modifications it has seriously smooth middle to treble and slightly lowered middle to treble. Maybe a bit heavy sounding on the bass but not I could say a dark.

Jun 5, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #395 of 1,250
Not really... This is bright and quite balanced sounding headphone at the beginning. But after some modifications it has seriously smooth middle to treble and slightly lowered middle to treble. Maybe a bit heavy sounding on the bass but not I could say a dark.

How big are the ear openings in the pads? I'm looking for something approaching 75mm tall by 50mm wide.

Jun 5, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #396 of 1,250
I'd say these are about as smooth/dark as hd650. For darker planars I'd go for Aeon Flow Open or Brainwavz Alara. But compared to anything by Hifiman, Takstar is definately on the dark/smooth side. For dynamics iBasso SR1 is slightly darker, Ollo S4 bit more and Audioquest nighthawk is the extreme (that I find listenable).

Jun 5, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #397 of 1,250
I'd say these are about as smooth/dark as hd650. For darker planars I'd go for Aeon Flow Open or Brainwavz Alara. But compared to anything by Hifiman, Takstar is definately on the dark/smooth side. For dynamics iBasso SR1 is slightly darker, Ollo S4 bit more and Audioquest nighthawk is the extreme (that I find listenable).
I'm looking for something much darker than the Nighthawk. Any suggestions?

Jun 6, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #400 of 1,250
How big are the ear openings in the pads? I'm looking for something approaching 75mm tall by 50mm wide.
China HM5 65x40mm, originals 60x40mm. Very rough measurements

I'm looking for something much darker than the Nighthawk. Any suggestions?
You can get this guite dark sounding with China HM5 pads and add cover the front of the driver with fabric tape.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #402 of 1,250
Jun 6, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #405 of 1,250
Yeah, not a fan of the Chinese hybrids. They're pretty cheaply made compared to the cloth ..sorta hybrids and not very comfortable.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Foa...-Over-The-Ear-Headphones-for/32916697818.html These I'm a fan of and the angled HM5 brainwavz sheepskin.
That can also work. It may measure bretty to close to those China hybrids.

Yay I got HDR-V6 cushions. It's super tight fit. Maybe slightly too tight. I also made teethed foam ring inside the cushions. It measures quite good. Very bright. Those who like bright sound. It feels like very soft memory foam, not 100% sure but it's atleast quality pad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Memory-Foam-Ear-Pads-Cushion-Covers-for-Sony-MDR-V6-MDR-7506-MDR-CD900ST/133036503424?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Measurements are token with my latest modifications.
MDR-V6 pad.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back