Takstar HF 580 Planar Headphones
May 29, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #361 of 1,250
I hope Takstar won't increase the price anymore. I feel my honeymoon with hf580 is over. I've been doing quite a bit side by side comparisons with sundara and there really is no contest. It seems Sundara has been permanently discounted at $349 so it makes $199 Takstar seem less of a deal.

I've previously said hf580 equals he560 but I'm not sure about that either. Hf580 is wonderfully musical headphone but it does have this hollow, reverby sound to it occasionally.

Take AC/DC thunderstruck for example. That guitar melody at the beginning sounds off. It sounds darkish and a bit nasal.

With some tracks snares sound more like paper bags popping. They sound quite the same but it is not the same.

Seeing he400i and he-4xx are cheaper, have better pads and detachable cables hf580 comes less of a deal every time Takstar bumps up The price.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #362 of 1,250
I hope Takstar won't increase the price anymore. I feel my honeymoon with hf580 is over. I've been doing quite a bit side by side comparisons with sundara and there really is no contest. It seems Sundara has been permanently discounted at $349 so it makes $199 Takstar seem less of a deal.

I've previously said hf580 equals he560 but I'm not sure about that either. Hf580 is wonderfully musical headphone but it does have this hollow, reverby sound to it occasionally.

Take AC/DC thunderstruck for example. That guitar melody at the beginning sounds off. It sounds darkish and a bit nasal.

With some tracks snares sound more like paper bags popping. They sound quite the same but it is not the same.

Seeing he400i and he-4xx are cheaper, have better pads and detachable cables hf580 comes less of a deal every time Takstar bumps up The price.

I'll wait 6~9 months for the price to drop to sane levels.

Just like the hype over the Pro82 when very few vendors had them. 6 months later when the market was saturated with them, the prices dropped to more reasonable price range. The current market prices reflect what I think is the fair value of the Pro82. Not the asking prices for them when they first burst onto the market.

Agree on the HE4XX. That I think is fantastic value for the sound. A simple, completely reversible mod on them opens them up further.
I replaced the original grills with laser cut ones that provided better airflow, along with a steel gauze. It certainly "opened up" the overall sound for me. You can actually just give it a try by removing the grills and listening on them for starters to see if you like the way it sounded. (the results on my profile pict )

May 29, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #363 of 1,250
I actually made an assumption about he-4xx sound quality. I don't (yet) have one. I have he400i, he400, just sold he560 and I have sundara. From what I gather he-4xx is about equal to he400i so I mentioned it.

Agree on waiting out the hype. Hf580 is well worth $199 but bargain factor diminishes fast.

I never was a fan of Pro82. Not bad...but I'm difficult to impress :)

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #364 of 1,250
I actually made an assumption about he-4xx sound quality. I don't (yet) have one. I have he400i, he400, just sold he560 and I have sundara. From what I gather he-4xx is about equal to he400i so I mentioned it.

I also had brainwavz alara for a review and should receive Aeon flow open today. Damn addicting planars :)

Agree on waiting out the hype. Hf580 is well worth $199 but bargain factor diminishes fast.

I never was a fan of Pro82. Not bad...but I'm difficult to impress :)

It's good to see that in this world of $4000 headphones I am not the only one that is a bargain hunter.

I have to say I hope I have a different opinion than you on the hf580 tho because I have a set on the way and I could not stand the he-560. The treble ruined those for me.

A planar under $200 is still a bargain in my eyes: there aren't many. I will wait to post opinions on the matter of sound until mine arrive. I will be comparing them mostly with my 6xx and t20rp.

May 29, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #365 of 1,250

wow yeah the price keeps going up.

May 29, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #367 of 1,250
I'm sure you like treble on hf580 better. It is a lot smoother. I also found treble on he560 problematic.
I'm with you with this opinion. It's smooth but last frequencies going a bit high.

May 29, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #368 of 1,250
I get more of a kick out of mid-fi than uber high end If I am honest.Just noticed it reminded me of something.

upload_2019-5-29_17-35-37.png

Glad I ordered mine.

upload_2019-5-29_10-6-37.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-29_10-7-0.png
    upload_2019-5-29_10-7-0.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 0
May 31, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #369 of 1,250
@FireLion What Sennheiser is that?

I kinda nailed how to increase sub bass. Not sure if I keep it this way because airflow is too crumpled. I made chambers of high density foam to the back of the driver and dampered it with a felt, a foil and a cleaning cloth. I may still try with only deeper chambers and it see how it will plays and keep it open as possible.

Still waiting more modding parts that should come in the next week if not lost in the delivery.

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #372 of 1,250
I actually thought about orpheus when people complained about how one can not get detachable cables on $200 headphone. One can not get those in a $50 000 headphone either :D

Hmm, maybe Takstar was mimicking the HE 1 a little *too* closely by making the cables non-removable... Though they didn't include an amplifier encased in marble with motorized knobs and vacuum tubes that rise up from inside, so they weren't tracking the design 100%. :wink:

May 31, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #374 of 1,250
@FireLion What Sennheiser is that?

I kinda nailed how to increase sub bass. Not sure if I keep it this way because airflow is too crumpled. I made chambers of high density foam to the back of the driver and dampered it with a felt, a foil and a cleaning cloth. I may still try with only deeper chambers and it see how it will plays and keep it open as possible.

Still waiting more modding parts that should come in the next week if not lost in the delivery.

Just change to any of the chinese hm5 pads(just got my hybrid velour pads, but haven't put them on yet - depth and inner pad material is pretty much identical to the clothish pads I posted earlier though.) and you will see a big bass bump. These also EQ very well, like most planars. Stock pads are pretty meh.

Edit: by material I mean to say the inner wall of the pad is exacly the same preforated pleather. The hybrids have a harder foam than the china cloth pads.

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #375 of 1,250
Ditching a marble encased tube amplifier is a good way of making a product more affordable. :D

They're not going for affordable, they're going for ultra premium. Even with the (probably scrap) marble I'm sure total cost of the amp + headphones is under 1k. They're just going for that extremely low volume sale insanely high profit margin strategy for just those headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back