taking the k240 sextett apart , step by step
Dec 29, 2007 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

minivan

100+ Head-Fier
i received my k240 sextett yesterday, was very impressed with it's sound quality for what it worth, it seem to combine the nice soundstage of the k701 and the grado sound signature into one. thanks fitz and other head-fi members that made contribution to the k240 sextett thread
wink.gif
due to it's old age, the foam had disintegrated in the headphone ,craps keep falling out at the back. decided to took it apart and give it a good clear, i took photos during the disassemble process in case i forgot how to put it back, but realized this can used as a guide, so here's my .2c contribution
biggrin.gif

note that, except the 2 screws, everything can be pop out, none of the parts i took apart are glued. from what i read, i think mine is a mid production, from my memory fitz said the grilles are glued, may be the one he took apart is a different production to mine. i used foam found in those computer parts box, i read that fitz dont recommend this type of foam, but they look very similar to the original foam plus i can't find those particular type of foam. with the new foam inserted, the sound seem to be warmer and not as harsh as before. also just notice in the supermarket , they sell elastic band woman used for tied up their hair, look very similar to the one on the headphone. i will buy some and try them on in the future.

Dec 29, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 26
Looks nice.
Never seen a headphone with 6 drivers in it before.
tongue.gif

Dec 29, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 26
nice guide!
now i can put my sextett back together
tongue.gif

i've also cleaned the foam in my sextetts
should i put some foam in it and what kind of foam?

i'm considering a recable on mine
what cable should i use? i've heard good things about mogami but i can't find it where i live

Dec 29, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice guide! i just cleared out all the foam in my sextets as well

did you re-terminate your headphone cable? the jack looks slightly different than stock

oh..thanks for pointing that out, i received the phone as it is. so it's not stock then. never mind, the cable and jack look very cheap to me, i will be recable it in the future for my balanced setup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice guide!
now i can put my sextett back together
tongue.gif

i'm considering a recable on mine
what cable should i use? i've heard good things about mogami but i can't find it where i live

i just use the foam i found in my old pc motherbroad box. they look and feel the same as the original foam. for the proper foam you should ask fitz for advise. i will use canare starquad cable to recable my phone.

Dec 30, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #8 of 26
I think you're the first to post a pictorial on disassembling a sextett, good work. Yes you have a mid production, see the link in my signature for details on how to tell them apart. Not all grilles are glued. Yours apparently are not.

And what you described about the sound is just what I love about the sextett. It has the energetic liveliness of a grado, but no harsh treble, the signature AKG midrange and a decent soundstage (way better than a grado).

Dec 30, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #11 of 26
Nice guide!

Fitz did all the work for me, and mine look like brand new (well better than new, because of the balanced Black Clover cables), so I probably won't need to take them apart at any time, but a reference guide is always a good thing to keep around.

Thanks!

Dec 30, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by onyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Adding the foam back in can help with the fit by distributing the pressure more evenly, but the foam used by AKG doesn't impact the sound directly. It's 1/4" thick reticulated foam (filter foam), which is different from regular open cell foam like that used in some packing materials. If you use regular open cell foam, it will change the sound to some extent.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #13 of 26
how did you pop the ring of plastic off? I'm having the hardest time getting off. I'm cleaning outthe old phone so that I dont get all these black gooy things (most likely the disintegrating foam) on me when I use my sextetts

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #14 of 26
the easy way is to lever a screwdriver against the inside of the ring using one of the supports of the cardan joint as the fulcrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back