Take a look at this Grado graph!
Oct 6, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #61 of 70
Oct 7, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #62 of 70

Quote:

now that is interesting, they're just about the same in neutrality compared to the K701's....

Ditto.  I'm flabbergasted with that graph. 

I think headrooms FR graphs are "fairly" accurate, as they seem to be consistent with other measurements performed by other testers.  If this graph is accurate, Grado might be more uncoloured after all. 

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #63 of 70

Quote:
And also, the HD800, T1, and ED 9 arent in studios because studios need isolation, durability, and uncolored sound. ED.9 is made to sound pleasing, not accurate. 2 different things. 

I'm not so sure in "some" ways.  While it's true that studios are often looking for closed phones for isolation, I know several studio dudes that use open headphones for checking mixes (not tracking).  While the HD800 and T1 are very neutral and accurate, is there a reason that studios still stick with HD600, K701 and DT880/990?  Maybe the former are still too new or expensive?

And the Edition 9 produces some ungodly weird sound sig which for the life of me I can't figure out how it costs so much.

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #64 of 70
Actually, these graphs better reflect what I've heard of these Grados, with the K701 and HD650 as reference:

[size=x-small]
HD650-Accumulate.gif
[/size]

[size=x-small]
K701-Accumulate.gif
[/size]

[size=x-small]
SR-225-Accumulate.gif
[/size]

[size=x-small]
SR-325i-Accumulate.gif
[/size]

[size=x-small]
RS-1-Accumulate.gif
[/size]

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #65 of 70
I've used those graphs a lot to compare between brands.  The frequency response is not the only graph, either.  The measurements won't lie as long as they're all done the same way.  The "refinements" on the more expensive phones from a particular manufacturer may not be evident in the frequency response curves because they may be their "house sound" and that's just the way that manufacturer likes their sound (like Grado).  I did find it interesting, though, that the Grado GS-1000 cans do not share the same typical response as the lesser expensive models, esp. in the mids.  This departure is probably why most Grado lovers seem to dislike the GS1000 model (and is precisely why I'm considering buying that model!).  I think it's nice to compare phones the person knows to ones he/she wants to try to see if they might be a suitable fit.  Obviously, though, the person just has to buy-n-try to really know the answer.  So far, the graphs mathematically describe my exact experiences thus far. 

Radiohlite:  Thanks for those 3-D plots.  I share the same experience with my K701, HD600, and some SR325 and RS1 I've had before.  Do you have a graph of the GS-1000i?  Also, it's interesting to note that the human ear frequency sensitivity changes with respect to sound pressure levels.  It gets very complicated!  So even though a headphone frequency response may be flat over a certain section of the graph doesn't mean that we will hear it as such. 

Oct 8, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #66 of 70
"I think it's nice to compare phones the person knows to ones he/she wants to try to see if they might be a suitable fit.  Obviously, though, the person just has to buy-n-try to really know the answer."

I was lucky, I guess.  Went to a dealer in Austin and was able to compare the GS-1000 with the 325i w/ G-Cush.  Next week, the friend that has the GS-1000 and I will go and compare the 1000 and 325i with the 1000i.  Should be interesting.  I've requested some burn in on the 1000i to try and level the playing field.

Oct 8, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #67 of 70

Quote:
Actually, these graphs better reflect what I've heard of these Grados, with the K701 and HD650 as reference:

[size=x-small]
HD650-Accumulate.gif
[/size]

[size=x-small]
K701-Accumulate.gif
[/size]

[size=x-small]
SR-225-Accumulate.gif
[/size]

[size=x-small]
SR-325i-Accumulate.gif
[/size]

[size=x-small]
RS-1-Accumulate.gif
[/size]

Nice graphs radiolhite - that's a great webiste (even if you don't speak Japanese).

The spectral decay / impulse graphs are rather interesting, especially when you start to see "worse" impulse / decay response from more expensive headphones.  It appears to be quite unanimous that smaller and simpler drivers produce better decay responses, which if you think about it might make a good bit of sense when you compare the simple enclosures of supra-aural headphones like the KSC75, Grado SR60/80/125/225, PortaPro, PX100 etc (which may offer less ringing and resonances) combined with the small physical size and mass of what is presumably a smaller diameter driver.

Impulse response though, seems to be less correlated with anything that I've seen yet, though I will say that flatter headphones seem to measure better w/r/t impulse response.  The DT880, K701, HD600 and HD800 have great impulse response.  Interestingly, Stax has a weird impulse response, whereby the signal decays after the initial impulse at a decent speed, but then has all of these non-zero point fluctuations for several milliseconds - FAR below audibility, but there nontheless.

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #68 of 70
I'm looking for a grado for my Gilmore Lite as I heard that they pair up nicely.
Any suggestions?

Nov 7, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #69 of 70
Well, just remember. All of Grado's pads are interchangeable between their headphones, if that was any bit a concern.

Other than that, it's really up to you how much you want to pay for smaller and smaller improvements.

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #70 of 70
It just occured to me... almost a year later... that there are some big differences here. For instance, the dB spread for most of the bass puts the Grado listener hearing about twice the volume there. Same thing at 9kHz. I liked the detail I heard from a pair of SR225i cans. By detail, I mean hearing things I didn't know were there and having the instruments clearly defined like never before... almost feeling the bow's rosin drawn on the cello. It was very nice... until I got into some sibilant portions and it felt like a cat scratching on my eardrum.

Quote:
Actually, since getting my Ety MC5s which are certainly uncolored and give me a reference point, I've been noticing just how uncolored my SR80s (with bowls worn on-ear and somewhat forward- this gets rid of the big upper-mid hump heard when  bowls are worn circumaurally) really are. You'll also find lack of coloration mentioned as a major virtue in a  number of audio magazine reviews of various Grado cans.

Again, see the headroom SR60 graph, which corresponds very well with what my 80s sound like worn as described. You'd be hard-pressed to find a flatter FR curve short of a K701. In fact, I'll post these two superimposed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back