Taction Technology KANNON Headphone
Oct 20, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #571 of 976
^ This is something I'm also curious how I will experience the two circumstances and whichever I prefer, however in my case I'm not so sure if it comes due SPL (I doubt it as the volume isn't crazy loud, bass is slightly louder in heavy bass tracks but typically the mids volume for my listening so far is at a very modest level) but I believe it's more the shaking of the headphone cups that makes me also feel the bass on my current headphones, when I hold the headphone cups in my hands I can feel the beats making the headphone cups vibrate so and this makes a whole new level of excitiment as compared to when you don't feel it. Anyway the Kannons can't come soon enough.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #572 of 976
^ This is something I'm also curious how I will experience the two circumstances and whichever I prefer, however in my case I'm not so sure if it comes due SPL (I doubt it as the volume isn't crazy loud, bass is slightly louder in heavy bass tracks but typically the mids volume for my listening so far is at a very modest level) but I believe it's more the shaking of the headphone cups that makes me also feel the bass on my current headphones, when I hold the headphone cups in my hands I can feel the beats making the headphone cups vibrate so and this makes a whole new level of excitiment as compared to when you don't feel it. Anyway the Kannons can't come soon enough.
waiting.jpg

The Taction Kannon experience is pretty awesome. No need to play it loud to get the head thumping and fist pumping.

Oct 20, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #573 of 976
waiting.jpg

The Taction Kannon experience is pretty awesome. No need to play it loud to get the head thumping and fist pumping.

Yea and this is the best thing as your hearing is priceless, if you can get as good experience when lowering volume, that's a win-win. I've for a very long time now listened at a constant volume level setting that I never try to adjust basically to avoid pumping up the volume to dangerous levels as our hearing sense works that way the higher we listen to the higher our brain starts demanding for equal "satisfaction". For me when listening at a constant volume my brain actually rejects higher volume and prefers this "used-to" volume setting (it also works in favor for when mixing/mastering to be able to better judge the mix). I've mostly started using a constant vol setting in fear for longterm damage since I'm listening quite a few hrs daily due being a YouTube hardstyle music promoter and hobby mastering engineer so yes it's like at least a couple of hrs listening time daily in my case, some days is easily 6 hrs listening or more.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #574 of 976
Sorry @flashmp3 I was waiting for @Hawaiibadboy to respond to you, but since @jameswalker and @Ataraxy put their pennies on the table, here's my two cents.
I do not have the JVC SZ2000 but I have the Fostex TH600 and TH-X00 (mahagony). I also have the Taction Kannon. I played this YouTube video with my iPad and iPhone connected to my iDSD Black Label and all of the above headphones. I also downloaded the song on iTunes ($0.99!!!!) Here is what I hear:

Fostex TH600 and TH-X00, iDSD Black Label XBass On, No EQ
Old School wall of sound slam your face and ears with SPL and digging deep to make 20Hz come alive at 20 vibrations per second massage. LOVE it!

Taction Kannon, iDSD Black Label XBass Off, No EQ

With the Taction off and XBass on, a pretty neutral sound signature. Can still hear down to 20Hz, but impact is small. Turn on the Taction I get some farting distortion so I turned off the XBass. Ahhhhhhh. Now that's what I'm talking about. Every downbeat comes alive as the Taction adds some torque and twists the headphone cups. Add some shake when the frequencies go down low. Takes me back to high school jazz band playing some Tower of Power on my baritone saxophone sitting next to the drums and the bass guitar speakers.

Two different takes on BASS. I love it both ways.

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #576 of 976
I'm curious about when these will be available in China, since I just tried looking them up on Taobao, and are nowhere to be found. Am really eager to hear how these feel and sound, compared to my portable rig with my extreme sound settings.

At the New York Spring Meetup this past June, I asked Monsterzero about the Kannons after he heard my portable setup. He described the experience of the Kannons as "different," versus my rig, but it was a little difficult to explain.

I'm curious as to how a big 30-Hz-to-40-Hz vibration on the sides of your head will feel...without the same sub-bass vibration frequency in your eardrum.

It certainly sounds like a lot of fun, but will the overall experience seem as "real," as if you're at a live show?

(With my extreme sound settings, I can totally make my V-Moda M-100s hit and throb at low volume, and with it sounding crisp and clear at the same time when choosing a suitable preset for the song that's playing.)

Anyway, there's about 5-to-10 percent of the songs in my music collection where I have to "settle" for a preset that sounds good, but not great. How so? There's some song recordings that have a lot of low-end rumbling noise in them, and/or were dubbed from a vinyl record. My system exposes this stuff bigtime, and am wondering if the Kannons do the same.

So with the Kannons, have any of you had to "settle" for a lighter tactile setting when encountering these types of song recordings with low-end rumbling noise?

Finally, the Kannons certainly seem ideal for use with a PC while sitting at a desk, and don't seem to require finely-tuned extreme sound settings, as my rig does. But on the flipside, how easy are these to deal with while walking outside in the rain for an hour, carrying an umbrella? And what about toting around a dual-listening setup in your bag? My two pair of M-100s and two Cayin C5 portable amps can easily fit into portable carrying cases and be put into a handbag, along with my Rockboxed iPod Classic.

Hopefully in the future, Taction Technologies can come out with a more portable version of the Kannons that still fit over the ear.

Thoughts, anyone?

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #577 of 976
I think these are so crazy they are unlike anything before. SZ to crushers or whatever they are compared to are not good compares. Absolutely awesome. Extreme bass sensation with low volume in mids and treble and overall sonic clarity ...as much as you can realize while your face shakes to the beat. These things are amazing

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #578 of 976
Anyway, there's about 5-to-10 percent of the songs in my music collection where I have to "settle" for a preset that sounds good, but not great. How so? There's some song recordings that have a lot of low-end rumbling noise in them, and/or were dubbed from a vinyl record. My system exposes this stuff bigtime, and am wondering if the Kannons do the same.

So with the Kannons, have any of you had to "settle" for a lighter tactile setting when encountering these types of song recordings with low-end rumbling noise?

I am admittedly still (perpetually) waiting for my pair,but I can comment some based upon hearing your slammin' set-up vs. a Kannon prototype.
Your def getting insane slam from your EQ presets and your gear,and based upon the test tracks you played for me I think most bass centric HPs will deliver decent to great slam,with the Kannons being no exception.

Where the difference lies is being able to get a tactile bass response from non-bass centric music.I tested this track when I heard the prototype for a reason...

its poorly mastered,its live,it fits my daily listening regimen and non bass heavy...and at low volumes I was still getting good bass response.I wouldve preferred the guitars to be more forward,but the bass was there,which was a first for me from any headphone.

Lastly Im not sure any headphone will remove noise from poorly recorded crap.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #579 of 976
(With my extreme sound settings, I can totally make my V-Moda M-100s hit and throb at low volume, and with it sounding crisp and clear at the same time when choosing a suitable preset for the song that's playing.)

Wanted to clarify this statement.

I normally don't listen at low volume, since I like to have fun and feel like I'm live at the show.

But with my rig, I just now played around with the sound at low volume (which includes flipping the volume gain switch on my Cayin C5 portable amp...to low), and chose the best EQ presets and sound settings for this purpose.

With the right preset, it sounds like listening to a giant sound system at low volume, with excellent-sounding treble and bass to match. It doesn't exactly "hit and throb at low volume," nor would I want it to; it should match the rest of the sound.

Basically, in DiscoProJoe's Rockbox EQ Presets at low volume, it's best to use one heavier midbass category, and three brighter treble subcategories than you'd use with the sound cranked up. (If you run out of treble subcategories to go up on, then you'll also have to use the Rockbox treble feature to add the additional extra treble.)

Strangely, you shouldn't need to use any greater sub-bass increments at low volume than you'd use when playing it loud. At least that's how I felt with my M-100s when trying different settings. Why? I have no idea.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Oct 23, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #583 of 976
Sure am, though they haven't had a huge amount of use lately as I have been doing a few home repairs.

I actually "restructured" my gaming rig because of these. Before, I had a set of average headphones, plus a 2.1 system. I ditched the lot now and the kannons happily replace the lot.

Oct 23, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #584 of 976
Im not sure any headphone will remove noise from poorly recorded crap.

I'm really curious if anyone can hook up their Kannons to a record player, and let us all know how much low-end rumbling noise they get through the tactile drivers. :yum:

Oct 23, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #585 of 976
Before, I had a set of average headphones, plus a 2.1 system. I ditched the lot now and the kannons happily replace the lot.

Glad to hear they're that good. Will have mines in 45 days more or less according to the team themselves, the waiting will be long. But as long as they're under the Christmas tree, i will be happy. Just a little concerned that some very early backers still doesn't have their pair, what can mean nothing good for me. We'll see i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back