Taction Technology KANNON Headphone
Sep 12, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #361 of 976
You guys are just building up my excitement to get mine. Still waiting for a shipment confirmation. First game I'm going to try them with is Witcher 3.

Sep 12, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #362 of 976
Woah, came back after patiently waiting for Kannons to start shipping, this thread certainly took off in a promissing way so far. :) I'm #115 backer and from Finland so have to wait for a bit still.

I personally cannot wait to give them a try and give a more subjective oriented analysis but in a technical manner and talk about topics such as punchiness, impact, tightness of the bass. For me my personal favorite I've come across with the best punch vs tightness vs impact factor is the cheap M-Audio Q40 especially when paired with a DigiZoid ZO v2.1 amp which this headphones pairs best with out of all the digiZoid variants (I have them all myself). Without the ZO amp they can be "decent" but with the amp set about mid-way the bass just becomes oh so good in terms of punch & impact while the rest of the range sounds still BETTER than it would without (gives an allround more full-bodied speaker-like signature as I tend to feel headphones without any proper amping just all sound way too thin compared to proper speaker setups that can sound really good across the whole range). I've tried quite a few headphones afterwards but couldn't find any that I thought sounded equally good so partially I guess the sound signature of a headphone and taking all equations into account, source, amp, your personal fitting of the headphone etc all make a rather big impact (it could be I just happened to get close to my personal holy grail sound as it won't sound great out of any source or amp combo for sure, just this particular config I just happen to love even after like 4 years without needing any EQ'ing at all apart from configuring the flexible bass boost adjustment on the digiZoid amp.

The Kannons is the first headphone on the paper I have a lot of confident it will finally take over the long awaited fav spot I've been desperately trying to find because the taction technology when done right just does make so much sense in a technical manner when it comes to be able to produce bass you can feel while keeping the quality great. If you have to resort to loudness to achieve something, there's just too many other factors starting to impact negatively and it's more about which scenario impacts it less. DigiZoid for example I thought did great in this aspect in the amp section with their SmartVektor technology, shame their business didn't take off but it's great to see more pioneers in audio business is taking a leap of faith into the unknown with a high quality approach that has taken a lot more detail into attention with this tactor tech because having this possibility built directly into the headphone product will always be ideal as opposed to using fancy processing in a source or amp, so if you can achieve an authentic experience directly from the headphone itself, that will always be even better.

I'm personally a recovering chronical basshead from quite a few years ago now and my focus is more in the, bass impact (you can feel) vs sound quality factor where I'm looking for as balanced sound possible with as much bass I can feel as possible without leaving details in the midrange and highs impacted and I have a feeling this product just might be what I've been looking for all these years to up the ante further. I'm also an experienced hobby mastering engineer for Hardstyle genre in particular where I've mastered probably close to 1000 tracks by now so I'm grown very good at hearing subtle changes in sound and understanding how to maximize impact of the kickdrums etc while leaving dynamicness intact. Sometimes you can actually get a more impactful kickdrum when you shave off some bass and boost the highs if those are badly adjusted, for me quantity isn't important as a basshead, the less quantity with more impact the better, it's the "feel" part that I think a lot of us bassheads are longing for but wouldn't be able to achieve properly until upping the volume levels to dangerous levels and putting your hearing at risk at worst.

Sorry for the long jibberish post but I'm really enthusiastic with this tactor technology and I feel it's something which could probably offer heightened experience also for the more "traditional" audiophile audio oriented gear (Sennheiser HD800 *cough* and alike) and I think it's more about the engineers need to open up to the thought, at least that's what I hope the Kannons might help with.

Finally if it's one feature I think that is of key value with Kannons it's probably the fact that Kannons has the ability to better preserve the hearing for bassheads as they no longer have to put up with shouty mids/highs to feel the bass (similar to what is possible to achieve with certain amps/EQ configs to certain extent but not in an ideal way though).

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #363 of 976
I agree with Tetsuro, I don't think the gentleman speaking at 29:38 quite understands that what some producers want their music to sound like requires that you might be listening to your music in a club, car, or home system that has a dedicated sub where you will feel the music.

A single linear response headphone will not properly do this, however headphones such as the Kannon, really are helping recreate the intended effect of some styles. Even jazz and classical music, to some extent could benefit from a bit of tactile bass sensation.

Feeling the kick drum on Fleetwood Mac's - The Chain, has been a first time overear/in ear experience in life. Amazing stuff.

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #365 of 976
I have Brainwavz HM5 sheepskin pads on mine now. No more broken seal. Smoothed everything out a bit as well, and comfort multiplied.

Absolutely incredible.

Had them on all day at work.

Toward the end of the Tron album, I had to dial the Taction down from 10 because I was starting to get queasy.

I've never had an experience like this with headphones without dialing up the SPL beyond safe levels.

Game over.

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #367 of 976
Problem these will run into is price. I think it's a very niche group who would spend this kind of money on this type of tech. I'd love to try them, but idk about buying them.

These sound good as headphones and also have the tech. I got the Meze neo with me and they seem to be very popular. The KANNON are not outclassed in any manner and they can massage your face if you like. The Sony Z7 are approx same price and I would take the Kannon every time.

I think the issue may be production units not enough for units needed.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #368 of 976
Yeah, well NEO's cost half.

People are probably not going to be buying these if using the Taction bass. It's just... how many want this tech for 500 dollars? IDK, we'll see. It's cool but it's expensive.

You worry if the novelty of this tech remains, or wears off after a little while. Or if V2 will be released in a few months (thanks Hifiman).

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #369 of 976
20170909_115844[1].jpg

Sep 13, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #370 of 976
Problem these will run into is price. I think it's a very niche group who would spend this kind of money on this type of tech. I'd love to try them, but idk about buying them.

You're right, i would have bought those in a heartbeat for their initial price (269 dollars i believe) if it hadn't been Kickstarter. But i have reluctance toward this kind of system, so i needed to hear the first reviews and advices from buyers beforehand. It's not easily that i spent the money now asked for those headphones and it's going to break the bank for a little while, but they seem to have exactly what i've been looking for and that i've never been able to get elsewhere (powerful and clean bass that massages your head while keeping a good sound). Now, that's a very specific request, and i'm not sure there's a ton of people ready to spend 500 dollars for that. Nobody can really say, I know it's not the same thing, but the new Apple phone has been announced at 1000 dollars +, and despite that, it's probably going to sell like hotcakes, and there's definitely an audience for bass stuff, so...

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #371 of 976
To be fair, a phone gets way more use than a single headphone. Well, if it doesn't sell enough units, they'll have to eventually work on that price. At that point, I'll take a look :)

Sep 13, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #373 of 976
To be fair, a phone gets way more use than a single headphone. Well, if it doesn't sell enough units, they'll have to eventually work on that price. At that point, I'll take a look :)

I'm not really sure what's the strategy about those headphones. Just provide a given number of headphones to showcase their Taction technology, a "temporary thing" or make it a more permanent item, largely produced and distributed. It kind of have the vibe of a more intimate, "handcrafted" item where each pair need to be specifically tuned and worked on. Maybe they will increase their work force, which seems kind of small right now, if the headphones are a success. We'll see. I guess it's all down to how popular they will be.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #375 of 976

Users who are viewing this thread

Back