Taction Technology KANNON Headphone
Sep 7, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #286 of 976
First impressions: F yes. I am on Wiz Khalifa's level right now. Total bass shaking ridiculousness without deafness-inducing volume. Tuning is definitely v-shaped, but doesn't seem egregious anywhere on first blush. 10 on the Taction dial is much more shake than you need (or will likely even want) for sustained listening. I'm dialed in around 7 for my normal listening levels.

Nice to hear it's not like them shark cans
Looks good looks good

More details and comparisons to the other skull crackers prease suhhthx :D

Sep 7, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #288 of 976
Specially interested to hear about the sound quality outside bass, and the power, intensity and quality of the bass return at non deafeaning levels. A comparison with the Crusher Wireless on these aspects would be nice. To sum it up to know if it worth the 480 $ now asked for it... Thanks.

Also if Mr Biggs is reading this topic, i'd like to know what kind of delay i can expect if i order the headphones today. I guess it will be at least 2 months, as it's been stated that it will take between 4 and 8 weeks for the headphones to reach all the backers.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #290 of 976
Specially interested to hear about the sound quality outside bass, and the power, intensity and quality of the bass return at non deafeaning levels. A comparison with the Crusher Wireless on these aspects would be nice. To sum it up to know if it worth the 480 $ now asked for it... Thanks.

Also if Mr Biggs is reading this subject, i'd like to know what kind of delay i can expect if i order the headphones today. I guess it will be at least 2 months, as it's been stated that it will take between 4 and 8 weeks for the headphones to reach all the backers.
It was actually quoted 8-10 weeks if you were in the 200's as a backer.

Sep 7, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #291 of 976
Since folks are asking about the sound signature of the Kannons I thought it would make sense to post some measurements. So... here goes.

The mids and trebles are balanced (flat) within 4dB from high bass (120 Hz) right on up to 4kHz.

The acoustic bass response depends on position of the Taction knob. It can range from rolled off (Taction off) to flat (2), to a bass emphasis of +15dB at max. The listener gets to set the bass emphasis to suit taste and the program material.

For reference, the green dashed line is the H&K tuning curve proposed by Sean Olive, Todd Welti, and others at Harmon Kardon. It is based on having a few hundred people tune cans to their preferred equalization. If that's your cup of tea, you get something pretty close with Kannons set to about 2.5.

So, that's the acoustics.

KannonAcousticResp-(2017-09-07).png

The other thing - the KEY THING that's happening when the Taction knob is adjusted - is that the amount of motion sent to the user's skin changes. Two is very subtle. Four-to-seven is where most sustained listening happens. Ten - my god. I don't know what we were thinking. With a setting of ten, and the right program material - you can get religion. You can reduce yourself to a quivering mass of jello trembling before the almighty bass power of this headphone.

Sorry, this is supposed to be a technical report by the CTO...

So, anyway, what we're looking at in the plot below is a detail zoomed in on bass frequencies (10 to 100 Hz, on the x-axis). On the y-axis, we're now talking about something totally new - the velocity of the headphone cushion parallel to your skin.

KannonTactileResp-(2017-09-07).png

The thing to notice is that the response lets you feel all bass frequencies equally within +/- 3dB from all the way down to 15 Hz on up to 85 Hz, and then it rolls off as notes goes higher, letting the acoustic bass gradually take over as frequency goes from 85 Hz on up to 200 Hz.

Nothing that has come before has been able to do this. Period. Nothing. Not even close.

For comparison, consider the same type of velocity measurements made on a commercially available headphone (Headphone-C) that uses an off-the-shelf tactile transducer that has about one-fifth the peak force of the Taction Transporter in the Kannons.

Because the transducer in Headphone-C is limited on power, it uses resonance to "ring-up" to perceptible level of motion, like pushing a person on a swing until they are going high enough. Because this can only happen at the resonant frequency of the system, there is an unfortunate tactile emphasis on one note. Bass at 53 Hz is felt very well. All the other bass notes are felt much less or not at all.

upload_2017-9-7_17-13-21.png

There are some other problems in non-Kannon stuff. When a tactile transducer is oriented so that it plunges the earcup against the side of the head (versus Kannons which move the ear cup forward and back) this creates a VERY LOUD SPOT in the acoustic frequency response. It's better than nothing if you love bass, but it can be a bit like having your head inside a one-note kettle drum. This kind of loud spot can shows up in measurements made by other folks, like Tyll Hertsen over at Inner Fidelity.

It's just that since folks were asking about sound signature, I wanted to get some objective measurements out into the world about how the Kannons are different.

The curves above tell the story, or just ask someone who has tried them. The quality of the bass response of the Kannons is just radically better than anything that's come before.

So the differences in a nutshell are -- More power. Full tactile range. Cleaner acoustics.

Best,
Fightin'Jim
CTO - Taction Technology

PS -- Timing is another key differences between the Kannons and anything that has come before. But to keep things manageable let's touch on that in a separate post.

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-7_17-11-56.png
    upload_2017-9-7_17-11-56.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 0
  • upload_2017-9-7_17-12-6.png
    upload_2017-9-7_17-12-6.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 0
  • upload_2017-9-7_17-12-19.png
    upload_2017-9-7_17-12-19.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 0
  • upload_2017-9-7_17-12-28.png
    upload_2017-9-7_17-12-28.png
    32 KB · Views: 0
Sep 8, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #293 of 976
Looks amazing ! Can't wait to receive mine. I guess I'll be the only french guy with it :p. How can i know my backer number ?

EDIT : Found it. Only 162 :frowning2: :frowning2: i guess i ll have to wait mid november)

Can we have more pictures please ? I don't understand where is the battery and how to plug it (i have never seen the jack....or usb ?!)

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #295 of 976
Looks amazing ! Can't wait to receive mine. I guess I'll be the only french guy with it :p.

Nah we'll be two at least, i'm strongly thinking about getting the headphones, even at the current retail price. Or buy an used pair from a backer who didn't liked them. Just gonna wait a bit more for more user advices.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #296 of 976
I'm even more stoked about these. Backer 39. Hoping mine ship this month!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back