T-PEOS H-200 - new triple hybrid IEM - Impressions thread
Jun 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #1,321 of 2,595
Nope - don't let him off the hook. Oof Oink is a very bad little piggy! 
size]

110525.jpg

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #1,324 of 2,595
So someone asked me awhile ago in here or somewhere else to compare the H200 (dynamic+two BA) to the Audiofly AF78 (dynamic+BA). It's been awhile since I've heard the AF78  (long story), but I dug them out of storage and been comparing both since I've been home.

The short of it is that the H200 has a wider soundstage and is more airy sounding than the AF78. The H200 slams the AF78 in clarity and details. The Audiofly, however, may be the more neutral of the two, although with a bit more sub-bass. The AF78 have slightly thicker notes, but it can't easily resolve all the sounds being pushed through it in the mids. Sometime the mids sound like a bit of a jumbled mess, which never happens with the H200. The T-PEOS has mastered instrument separation between the two earphones. The AF78 was originally $200, and compared to the then $200 specially price I paid for the H200, the T-PEOS is like a Ferrari compared the AF78's Mazda Miata. It's as if the AF78 opened the door to what a decent hybrid could sound like (it's not terrible sounding), and then the H200 added rooms and luxury to a half completed house made into a mini-mansion. 

I've been tempted to the get the Scosche dual hybrid IEM856 (was $250 but is now $110), but I'm not 100 percent certain now. The RE-400 and the KEF m-200 have been of interest to me because I expect them to sound good with totally different sound signatures. We shall see. 

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #1,325 of 2,595
Alright. Thanks everyone. So on my list right now for "less bass, more mid/treble iems" are MDR7550, Phonak PFE, and BA200. I guess I should demo them all before buying one.

The PFE is closest to what you're looking for, and should be atop the list. It should be relatively easy to find at this point in time, and (for obvious reasons) will only become increasingly difficult over time.

I've been tempted to the get the Scosche dual hybrid IEM856 (was $250 but is now $110), but I'm not 100 percent certain now. The RE-400 and the KEF m-200 have been of interest to me because I expect them to sound good with totally different sound signatures. We shall see. 

Interesting. Never knew of the IEM856, nor the KEF m-200. Will you be acquiring any of the aforementioned, any time soon?

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #1,326 of 2,595
Quote:
The PFE is closest to what you're looking for, and should be atop the list. It should be relatively easy to find at this point in time, and (for obvious reasons) will only become increasingly difficult over time.
Interesting. Never knew of the IEM856, nor the KEF m-200. Will you be acquiring any of the aforementioned, any time soon?

Right now the m-200.

Jun 23, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #1,328 of 2,595
having H200 for a few months i auditioned them with both stock cables enclosed in the box and to my ears the red cable was a better one, it allows more crisp and articulate frequency extension, has more fluid and blacker tones, i found it better in many aspects. the red cable puts more refinement in mids and bass... it does not add but just helps a bit open up the space and blacken background.

the black cable is nice warm sounding cable but it eats some fine detail in dynamic transients, especially midbass contours and treble extension get some beating.

funnily i thought the black cable looked more expensive but sound wise the red cable won me over.

i do not know what cable TPeos believes is a better one in their price list but i prefer the red cable.... and i am willing to see the upgrade cables from TPeos coming soon because they can help open up this IEM even more.

H200 again proved to be a big enjoyment for modest price. i found myself happily listening to my ''budget'' setup + H200 and i did not reach back for my RWAK rig during this which says a lot. brilliant work TPeos !!! :-D

source used: C3, music played only FLAC 16/44
amp: C&C BH (1)
IEM: TPeos H200
cables: TPeos H200 stock cables red plastic cable and black cable with remote

Jun 23, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #1,329 of 2,595
having H200 for a few months i auditioned them with both stock cables enclosed in the box and to my ears the red cable was a better one, it allows more crisp and articulate frequency extension, has more fluid and blacker tones, i found it better in many aspects. the red cable puts more refinement in mids and bass... it does not add but just helps a bit open up the space and blacken background.

the black cable is nice warm sounding cable but it eats some fine detail in dynamic transients, especially midbass contours and treble extension get some beating.

funnily i thought the black cable looked more expensive but sound wise the red cable won me over.

i do not know what cable TPeos believes is a better one in their price list but i prefer the red cable.... and i am willing to see the upgrade cables from TPeos coming soon because they can help open up this IEM even more.

H200 again proved to be a big enjoyment for modest price. i found myself happily listening to my ''budget'' setup + H200 and i did not reach back for my RWAK rig during this which says a lot. brilliant work TPeos !!! :-D

source used: C3, music played only FLAC 16/44
amp: C&C BH (1)
IEM: TPeos H200
cables: TPeos H200 stock cables red plastic cable and black cable with remote

Agreed. The red cable looks hideous but sound more accurate and transparent than the black one. the black one is a bit veiled. Would really like to have a black cable with sound on par or better than the stock red one to match with its black housing.

Jun 23, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #1,330 of 2,595
kkcc, i found it especially funny because the make of the red cable is so misleading in comparison ... the red cable reminds you of generic IEMs while the black cable screams quality.... only after you do good audition you start to appreciate things not by their looks 
blink.gif

i know high-end is weird world and sometimes ugliest looking things do sound best and cost a lot... but i did not expect this happen with 250$ IEM and stock cable 
confused_face(1).gif

another observation i have is H200 vs. V1. H200 sounds more closed while V1 sounds more open, bass sounds more full on H200. V1 has better stage and more precise instrument separation while H200 is warmer and gives bit more lush to the presentation. both IEMs are nice sounding and well priced but i find V1 being a better IEM. the only area where i find something lacking on V1 is lower bass rendition which make them sometimes a bit too dry. however V1 is surely playing in a higher league.

i believe V1 shines with a good source+amp and good cable while H200 can be more laidback and pleasing unamped.
another observation is silver cable might be not the best for V1, i in the end prefer copper cable better.

i can also report that small driver flex does exist on my H200 but this was not a problem so far.

all IMHO

Jun 23, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #1,331 of 2,595
Quote:
Agreed. The red cable looks hideous but sound more accurate and transparent than the black one. the black one is a bit veiled. Would really like to have a black cable with sound on par or better than the stock red one to match with its black housing.

Quote:
kkcc, i found it especially funny because the make of the red cable is so misleading in comparison ... the red cable reminds you of generic IEMs while the black cable screams quality.... only after you do good audition you start to appreciate things not by their looks 
blink.gif

i know high-end is weird world and sometimes ugliest looking things do sound best and cost a lot... but i did not expect this happen with 250$ IEM and stock cable 
confused_face(1).gif

another observation i have is H200 vs. V1. H200 sounds more closed while V1 sounds more open, bass sounds more full on H200. V1 has better stage and more precise instrument separation while H200 is warmer and gives bit more lush to the presentation. both IEMs are nice sounding and well priced but i find V1 being a better IEM. the only area where i find something lacking on V1 is lower bass rendition which make them sometimes a bit too dry. however V1 is surely playing in a higher league.

Well, the black one is a cable with a remote and a mic. It makes sense that they are worse in sound quality.

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #1,332 of 2,595
Kim, why would a remote control automatically make the cable worse? i am not a technician so do not know. i can speak only for TPeos.

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #1,333 of 2,595
Quote:
Kim, why would a remote control automatically make the cable worse? i am not a technician so do not know. i can speak only for TPeos.

Well, the mic/remote is something that is added to an audio path. It's simple logic. It's best to keep the electronic path simple and short. It's like saying that 1m cable with same material will sound better than 2m cable with the same material. Even if the mic and remote is very low profile, it will still worsen the sound, no matter how low profile it may be.

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #1,334 of 2,595
Last time I compared I actually preferred the black cable for its warmth. The bass driver has a lot of power, and I felt the black cable brought it out more. The dangling remote can be a bit bothersome when walking, though.

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #1,335 of 2,595
Last time I compared I actually preferred the black cable for its warmth. The bass driver has a lot of power, and I felt the black cable brought it out more. The dangling remote can be a bit bothersome when walking, though.

Can't that be fixed by using a shirt clip btw?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back