T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
Feb 8, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #962 of 1,830
So now the right question is, if the ST is better or as good as a Celestee or an Aeon 2 noir, when wired.
I actually prefer it to the Celestee. Celestee for me is a little bit punchier but also less forgiving than the ST, as well as slightly less organic. Aeon however due to them being planar headphones carry a tighter bass .. (But I am a sucker for planars anyway :) )

Feb 8, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #963 of 1,830
I thought most ST users will mostly use it in BT modes but obviously I'm wrong :sweat_smile:

I'm a casual listener and not good at identifying subtle differences between gears so please take my comments with a grain of salt. I plugged the ST (using the stock 2.5mm-4.4mm cable) to my desktop combo (and then BT mode) listening briefly again. The sound signature of ST seems very consistent in wired or bt modes to me as many have commented (i'm not sure if the bass quantity is a bit less in the wired mode, even if that's true, it's very subtle). So my personal impressions remain the same even in wired mode. I feel the soundstage is much smaller in ST driven by my same desktop setup while VC's treble is quite a bit more detailed/resolving. bass impact level is similar between the two. It's worthy to note that l don't volume match them (VC is much less sensitive, i need to dial up the vol a few steps) and the tracks i used are not known for very high recording quality.

my unreliable opinion is that, if the requirement is to get a portable wireless headphones, ST should be amongst the top choices for portable use. But even then, it's still not equivalent to totl wired headphones in some aspects if the purpose is to use it as a wired headphone connected to desktop gears. i guess if no wireless functionality is required at ST's price level, there're alternatives that sound closer to the VC (maybe used adx5000 but that's not intended for portable use :stuck_out_tongue: ).

probably there're more ST users also have experience with VC and may chime in to share their view too. :slight_smile:
It think it's a testament to T+A for making the BT performance so competitive with the wired performance.

I agree that the Solitaire T punches a bit above its weight, but it cannot truly compete with the TOTL $3K headphones.

Feb 8, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #964 of 1,830
So now the right question is, if the ST is better or as good as a Celestee or an Aeon 2 noir, when wired.
"As good"? No. Thery aren't as good. The Aeon 2 noir has a larger soundstage, better dynamics, better detail. But the Aeon's need amplification, are less portable, and don't have the wireless functionallity. I'm not familiar with the celestee, but the same is true compared to the Stellia.

For an all in one, BT/ANC headphone with passive wired performance, you can't go wrong. You could be very happy with these and these alone for your closed back headphone needs. However, I wouldn't purchase them in lieu of the other offerings if you have the necessary amplification and sources needed to drive the Aeons and the Celestees.

I don't feel the need while travelling to haul around my DCA or Focal gear+amplification anymore. I just pack up the Solitaire T and the Mojo 2 and call it a day. I used to carry around the Woo WA8, Hugo 2/2go, and a portable Roon server. My computer bag and shoulder are much happier now.

Feb 8, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #965 of 1,830
"As good"? No. Thery aren't as good. The Aeon 2 noir has a larger soundstage, better dynamics, better detail. But the Aeon's need amplification, are less portable, and don't have the wireless functionallity. I'm not familiar with the celestee, but the same is true compared to the Stellia.

For an all in one, BT/ANC headphone with passive wired performance, you can't go wrong. You could be very happy with these and these alone for your closed back headphone needs. However, I wouldn't purchase them in lieu of the other offerings if you have the necessary amplification and sources needed to drive the Aeons and the Celestees.

I don't feel the need while travelling to haul around my DCA or Focal gear+amplification anymore. I just pack up the Solitaire T and the Mojo 2 and call it a day. I used to carry around the Woo WA8, Hugo 2/2go, and a portable Roon server. My computer bag and shoulder are much happier now.
True about the Aeon 2. They only start showing their true potential when properly amped. But once they do, they are magnificent. Wrt the Stellia and the Celestee, I love the Stellia, especially with the Naim HE. The Celestee in comparison sound a bit less lively, a less pronounced soundstage and definitely less slam. Honestly, I find the ST to scale up better than the Celestee with the Naim HE or the CMA Fifteen amps.

Feb 8, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #966 of 1,830

100% agreed! the main attraction for me to use ST or 5909 (or any other wireless headphone/tws) is portability with good sound performance. i (think i) could tell differences between ST and other wired headphones when A/B comparison but i don't think using ST or 5909 will negate my enjoyment of music vs listening to my wired headphones to desktop gears. in fact, i think being wireless is a very, very big advantage in user friendliness department even if i just listening at home.

Feb 8, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #967 of 1,830
It think it's a testament to T+A for making the BT performance so competitive with the wired performance.

This is one of 2 principal reasons (the other is the superb tonal balance and very clean BT sound) that, even after some not so good aspects of the ST when is immediately releasing (almost 3 months ago), making me deciding keeping this headphone.

i (think i) could tell differences between ST and other wired headphones when A/B comparison but i don't think using ST or 5909 will negate my enjoyment of music vs listening to my wired headphones to desktop gears. in fact, i think being wireless is a very, very big advantage in user friendliness department even if i just listening at home.

I too listening principally in my home in BT HQ mode because I'm moving often from one place to other. The convenience of no cables AND truly excellent BT HQ sound and great comfort are key reasons for loving this headphone...and sometimes I'm using transparency and ANC at home too!

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #968 of 1,830
True about the Aeon 2. They only start showing their true potential when properly amped. But once they do, they are magnificent. Wrt the Stellia and the Celestee, I love the Stellia, especially with the Naim HE. The Celestee in comparison sound a bit less lively, a less pronounced soundstage and definitely less slam. Honestly, I find the ST to scale up better than the Celestee with the Naim HE or the CMA Fifteen amps.
I’m not familiar with the Celestee. I did have the Elegia, they were just too funky tuning for me.

I actually run the ST off the Naim using the audiophile ninja balanced cable every night. I can kick in the ANC when needed. I haven’t tried the Stellias off the Naim. To be honest, the ST sound so good, the desire isn’t there.

Feb 8, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #970 of 1,830
All these nice comments prove that the ST wired without the BT is not at the level of a good closed back headphone about 30 % cheaper, which means more or less that the BT represent roughly a third of the price value...
Which is not an issue as I primarily bought the ST for its wireless functionality. However I do consider the wired functionality and the terrific way that has been executed a major advantage over competing headsets. Especially while they can also be driven in balanced mode. Most other wireless headsets struggle with the wired side of things.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #971 of 1,830
For those of you using the ninja cables, how do you find the cable noise to be? Ive tried a few after market cable for a pair of my MDR-Z1R and they all had some type of braiding material rather than rubber coating and were fairly noisy when the cord brushed against things. Not really noticeable when the music is paused but very noticeable when music is paused.

Thanks!

Feb 8, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #972 of 1,830
For those of you using the ninja cables, how do you find the cable noise to be? Ive tried a few after market cable for a pair of my MDR-Z1R and they all had some type of braiding material rather than rubber coating and were fairly noisy when the cord brushed against things. Not really noticeable when the music is paused but very noticeable when music is paused.

Thanks!
Not as noisy as the stock cable, but slightly noisy nonetheless. I am about to order a custom Forza Audioworks Claire HPC cable .. My experience with those is quite good when it concerns microphonics.

Feb 8, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #973 of 1,830
Not as noisy as the stock cable, but slightly noisy nonetheless. I am about to order a custom Forza Audioworks Claire HPC cable .. My experience with those is quite good when it concerns microphonics.

Yeah I was considering the corpse cables as a possible option. The sony stock cable is actually really great but the connectors to the headphone are large and make it a tight fit in the case, and the wiring has memory wire so it coils a lot which drives me crazy! But it is nearly dead silent due to the rubber coating

Feb 8, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #974 of 1,830
They are different.

DCA presents details and tonality similar to ST, but more bass presence. Sound stage on DCA wider and deeper, but not hugely so.

Yes, the ST could be your only set of “high end cans”. If you like the Aeon Noire , you should like the ST. The ANC works as well on planes to me as the Sonys without the ear sweat and “overly quiet” background.

ST arrived and they are impressive. I have done some AB testing with the Aeon Noire 2 and there are things I prefer on the ST and other things I prefer on the Noires.
Sound-wise it would be hard for me to see a clear winner and I may end up keeping both sets of cans. I know some folks will see a clear winner, but I do not and each headphone has areas and therefore songs that seem to be a perfect match and make me smile.

That being said, the ST is just a perfect mix of functions and features and will be getting a whole lot more listening time.

I will go back into hibernate mode and spend another hour rediscovering my music collection :)

Feb 8, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #975 of 1,830
Tried these against the Bathy's and I think they sound nice but it would be impossible to justify the price. Compared to the Bathy's I'd say they sound very similar but they have a smaller soundstage and less bass. So the tonality is a little different but not objectively better or worse and you can easily resolve that difference with the Bathy's EQ. In terms of technicalities I wouldn't say that the Soltaire is superior to the Bathy's.

The Soltaire has a few 'problems' that the Bathy's doesn't have and the Bathy's has a few problems that the Soltaire doesn't have, I think given the the closeness of the sound it will be these areas that help determine which is better for which user...
  • Soltaire has 70 hour battery life compared to Bathys 35.
  • Bathy's has a significant 'hiss' in transparency mode, Soltair does not.
  • Soltaire changes its frequency response with ANC on/off, seems to have less bass with ANC off. Bathy's is constant.
  • Both of them have pretty mediocre ANC compared to Sony/Bose or even Senheiser.
  • Soltaire has some volume issues and it's just generally harder to drive.
  • Soltaire T app is limited, no manual EQ.
  • Soltaire has vegan leather earcups, this is great if you're vegan but makes them feel cheaper in some ways.
  • Soltaire t folds to be more compact than the Bathy's, but I think if you use the stock case then this actually doesn't make a huge difference in size because it uses a square case which wastes a lot of space.
  • Soltaire is harder to drive than the Bathys.
  • Soltaire outputs pretty low volume outside of being driven at home via a dac
  • The Soltaire has smaller earcups, I find it less comfortable.
  • The Bathy's can engage it's dac via USB C which lets you push fantastic audio to at any stationary setup (e.g. you can use it at work without bringing a dac with you for high quality sound). The Soltaire suffers the same volume issues via USB C, so I think this isn't ideal
  • Soltaire t has an entirely passive mode
Side by side on paper at the same price I think it would be a really tough choice between these two. The Soltaire is a really nice headphone and I think people would be happy with the sound quality with either of them. Wearing either of these headphones while out and about causes me to pause in disbelief from time to time in the moments where I focus in and briefly listen analytically to the music. They're just so far beyond what's out on the market for the lower range bluetooth audio it feels like this has only really came about in the last year or so with the Soltaire, the Mark Levinson and the Bathys.

I think if we're putting aside the price, I would say:
  • If you're looking for a headphone to use at predominantly at home driven by a DAC then the Soltair T is a better pair of headphones. You can use it in its passive mode and it has a great tuning for this purpose.
  • But if you're looking for a better balance between home and on-the go use, and you're happy to use a USB C connection for at home listening then the Bathy's is probably a better option
Obviously there are other small details that are important but these are more pertaining to specific individual differences, such as whether you are vegan, how much you value transparency mode and so forth. One thing I would say is given the price and smaller earcup size, you absolutely need to audition the Soltaire before you buy, my ears feel squashed in the earcups and I did not wear them long enough to feel discomfort but my guess is that my ears would ache after an hour of use as the discomfort builds. I don't get that with the Bathy's which is great because I do get this same discomfort on lower end headphones like Sony's XM5 and the Senheiser Momentum 4.

However, I think the fact that it's a tough and I'm focused to focus on these smaller ergonomic and functional details makes the Soltaire T a really tough sell overall. For £500 more I would want something that's not sidegrade to the Bathy's, it would need to offer a noticeable upgrade and to my ear that's not present. Even if you say, were vegan and thought that was important to you, coughing up £500 will be hard to stomach. I am not vegan but I am vegetarian and try to be vegan where I feel it's reasonable and for me it's not reasonable to spend £500 to avoid the use of real leather. Outside of the discomfort I get from the earcups (admittedly might get better with time) the thing that bugs me most it's the volume and shift in EQ with ANC on, it just makes the experience so significantly worse than compared to at-home use and that's really what I don't want from these headphones, the dream is actually getting that at home experience on the go and the Soltaire doesn't have this as its central priority in the same way that the Bathy's is, it feels as though its been designed with a mindset where it's happy to (albeit slightly) compromise it's on-the go quality, for the sake of being a better passive headphone for home use.

Feature wise the Soltaire has some appreciable qualities that are missing on the Bathy's but for as many positives it has another disadvantage. Obviously this is the first wireless anc headphone from two companies that are essentially audio driver manufacturers, they both have great sound but they both have many kinks in other areas. It will be interesting to see what comes next in this space from both manufacturers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back