T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
Jan 4, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #691 of 1,838
I don't find it that bad, it's not a show stopper IMHO. I can walk around outside normally without problems. But a classical problem is if you chew on something or look over you shoulder, which often creates a small air gap. Careful position of the headphones is necessary. I find that I need to rotate the ear cups forward a little bit to avoid ear leaks at the front side. Despite that they otherwise are loose in all joints, they don't fall in place by itself when putting on.
IDK, I think it's a massive issue, especially at $1,600. No other ANC headphones have this issue (other than the Bathys), and it's really unacceptable to have this problem imo.

Jan 4, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #692 of 1,838
How do we update the firmware?

Jan 4, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #694 of 1,838
Jan 4, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #695 of 1,838
Thanks, yes, already did that. Have the latest firmware. Any other updates coming to address this issue?

Strange, I get plenty of volume out of Bluetooth now. Which device are you using for a source? My problem now is my right ear still hurts after listening for 2 hours last night. Really disappointed, I thought these were the ones, but might have to keep the 5909's instead.

Jan 4, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #696 of 1,838
Strange, I get plenty of volume out of Bluetooth now. Which device are you using for a source? My problem now is my right ear still hurts after listening for 2 hours last night. Really disappointed, I thought these were the ones, but might have to keep the 5909's instead.
Tidal via iPhone 14 Pro and Macbook Pro.

Jan 4, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #698 of 1,838
IDK, I think it's a massive issue, especially at $1,600. No other ANC headphones have this issue (other than the Bathys), and it's really unacceptable to have this problem imo.
It's a trend among the upper tier (in cost) ANC headphones.

It's the same with the ML5909. The ANC is not nearly as good as the Sony or Bose offerings.

I wonder if it is an intentional choice from Solitaire to not have the absolute (almost uncomfortable) ANC like Sony. I imagine the algorithm for ANC has to balance fidelity with quiet. The passive noise cancelling of the ST is very good. The hardware and engineering are there as well. Add in comfort, clamp force, etc...

It is disappointing that wearing these "out and about" is suboptimal. But then, how many people are going to walk around with $1600 headphones as opposed to wearing them in the office, on a commute, or in flight.

Just some thoughts that were running through my mind.

Jan 4, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #699 of 1,838
Wanted to do a little 'set expectations' regarding T+A Solitaire T ANC performance against other headphones.
This is not to excuse the Solitaire T from not being market leaders in ANC, especially when they cost £1200, but why they are what they are.

The thing about ANC is that Sony, Bose, and now Apple, are not just the market leaders, but have the monopoly on the ultimate chipset versions of their top-tier ANC chips with their own proprietary code.
They are also (in the case of Sony and Bose) suppliers of ANC chips to others via licensing or wholesale.

ANC is not cheap to go alone unless you have financial backing, to either manufacturer your own chips (Sony, maybe Apple too), or create financial massive licensing deals for exclusivity on select chips and firmware algorithms (including associated tech).
More so, it's often cheaper to buy into non-trade secret/patent ANC topology that's on the open market from the the big tech giants, and then do your own implementation. Of course, this is nothing new either in the world of tech, horology, audio, etc.

What makes the T+A Solitaire T a little special regarding ANC is how they tuned Sony's ANC integrated circuit chips, specifically from the current CXD family. My guess, based on the internal balanced topology inside the Solitaire T, is that T+A are using either CXD3781 or CXD3782, but this is not sourced from anywhere (just my reasoning, please do not take as gospel truth).
Regardless of which CXD chip is used, T+A's implementation to push CXD SoC sonics, to match the other modes of the Solitaire T as close as possible in voicing and tonality, including passive mode, is both class leading and in a class-of-one (currently in the world).
They could just as easily ramp up ANC performance via that CXD chip, but that would be at a cost of fidelity, and as T+A's R&D and final end products are all based upon a sharp science-led audio philosophy, I doubt they would compromise on sound quality whatsoever.
Notably, no one till recently used ANC with a bent towards true high fidelity, and Mark Levinson started the ball rolling with the No 5909. Yet, no one has gone as absolutist on extreme high-fidelity within ANC (using Sony's CXD tech) outside of T+A, nor anywhere near as effectively; that's where some of the cost of the Solitaire T resides (but of course not all the cost).

Regarding my experience of ANC whilst out-and-about? Well, I've mostly used ANC in the office or when shopping, and I don't hear many issues. It works, does a good job, but I would not use it for things like jogging etc. General use is fine.
However, the times I've heard a loud snap has been from when I'm changing from ANC to transparency mode and back, or if I accidentally aggressively move my body/head.
I assume this is directly correlated to both the implementation of the CXD chip, and more importantly the number of microphones employed for ANC performance (more later below)

As a side note, I'm also ok wearing such expensive cans, even my eye catching white/silver model, because the branding is not mainstream to the general public, so I don't feel too anxious. I am usually guarded with myself in general anyway, but nothing is a guarantee of safety, and I don't push my luck anywhere I don't feel safe anyway.
(On the other hand, I do wear formal casual attire with very heavy sterling silver jewellery, and with my smaller stature, I kinda don't get disturbed by strangers 🤣).

Anyway, back to the topic, from what I understand of ANC tech, the underlying technology requires multiple microphones inside and outside the earcups to be effective.
From Sound Guys regarding Sony's WH-1000XM5 microphone topology:
"Sporting an eight microphones array and an AI (I can only assume it’s actually machine learning) noise rejection algorithm..."
Thats right, EIGHT mics, on top of an AI algorithm! 🤯
In comparison, the T+A Solitaire T cans have:
"Microphones: 2 for voice on the right, 2 for ANC either side" (source: Major HiFi's Review of Solitaire T).
Just two microphones for ANC per earcup, excluding another two for voice.

So, it would be unfair to assume better from a £1200 headphone with ANC tech to either be better or outperform the competition, including cheaper (ish) ANC cans, when the fundamental design language, philosophy, and end goals are so far apart.
Even if T+A did update the CXD chip to be better at ANC performance, it will still be at a significant disadvantage to Sony's hammer-like approach to ANC. Ditto Bose and Apple.
Yet that kind of absolutist ANC performance has a significant impact on finite sound quality, as well as user experiences on high ANC performance when on.

If ANC performance is the last word for you, Sony, Bose, and Apple are better, regardless of cost.
If ANC sonic performance is the most important factor for you, choose either Mark Levinson No 5909 or T+A Solitaire T (demo each if possible).

I would say, based upon people's responses here and elsewhere, that Mark Levinson No 5909 are perhaps the better in performance in ANC than T+A Solitaire T.

Sonically? Solitaire T stands alone.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #700 of 1,838
Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #701 of 1,838
Hey guys I recently sold and unopened susvara and now I am selling an unopened wireless solitaire T.

Brand new sealed.

Reason for sale:
Same as susvara sale, I opted to get the fleetwood deville speakers (18k msrp) so I do not feel comfortable keeping susvara or solitaire anymore. Literally changed mind when they are already on their way to me.

PM me for reasonable offers. Thanks happy 2023.

Jan 4, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #702 of 1,838
Tidal via iPhone 14 Pro and Macbook Pro.

So I get plenty of volume on the Roon app and Tidal app via Bluetooth. Just wanted to give you an update.

Has anyone else had problems with ear comfort and getting a good fit? My right ear gets sore now with just a small amount of time with them on the head positioning my ears inside the ear pads. I can reposition them basically as on-ear, but I wasn't intending to wear them like that when listening. It's really a shame and I am quite disappointed I am having this issue as I love their versatility. I'm kind of dreading contacting the shop I got them at as it was my first purchase with said shop and I never intended to return them.

Jan 5, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #703 of 1,838
So I get plenty of volume on the Roon app and Tidal app via Bluetooth. Just wanted to give you an update.

Has anyone else had problems with ear comfort and getting a good fit? My right ear gets sore now with just a small amount of time with them on the head positioning my ears inside the ear pads. I can reposition them basically as on-ear, but I wasn't intending to wear them like that when listening. It's really a shame and I am quite disappointed I am having this issue as I love their versatility. I'm kind of dreading contacting the shop I got them at as it was my first purchase with said shop and I never intended to return them.
If you are experiencing discomfort with a set of headphones, and cannot self resolve this via fit positioning, then as long as you are within the return window, do so.

There is nothing wrong with this at all.

Yes, Solitaire T are great, but if you cannot enjoy them without having a distracting physical-contact issue, then that experience will never be enjoyable down the line.
Comfort is a key factor with headphones, earphones, and in-ear monitors, so it does not matter how good a headphone is, what matters is your enjoyment.

Speak to your audio Authorised Dealer, and see if you can trade in your cans for something else. Maybe try the Mark Levinson No 5909?
Or perhaps you do prefer bigger earcups, and then you have choices in cans like Focal Bathys, B&W PX8, Master & Dynamic MW75, etc.

At least you now know the types of headphones that ought to fit your ear/head shape going forward too.
Solitaire T do hug your ears very close, and have a smaller enclosure, so won't be for everyone, and that is also ok.

I hope you take this as a positive towards whatever you decide, and if you take the above advice and do get a new set of cans (and perhaps enough left over for other audio associated gear!), I hope those will fare better for you and give you a better musical enjoyment.

Do what's right for you, not us.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #704 of 1,838
Is anyone experiencing random buzzing while wearing the ST? It happened several times today. I cycled through the ANC/ON/OFF/HQ. They still buzzed a quite loud electronic sound interrupting and stopping the music. The next time they started buzzing I closed and exited (IOS 16.2 iPhone) the app. This stopped the buzzing and music would play. I reloaded the app and didn't hear more loud buzzing during the session. It's very odd. Never heard anything like this before. If it continues to happen I'll contact T+A, but I am curious if anyone here has experienced this?

Jan 5, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #705 of 1,838
Is anyone experiencing random buzzing while wearing the ST? It happened several times today. I cycled through the ANC/ON/OFF/HQ. They still buzzed a quite loud electronic sound interrupting and stopping the music. The next time they started buzzing I closed and exited (IOS 16.2 iPhone) the app. This stopped the buzzing and music would play. I reloaded the app and didn't hear more loud buzzing during the session. It's very odd. Never heard anything like this before. If it continues to happen I'll contact T+A, but I am curious if anyone here has experienced this?
Sounds like the app, phone, and headphones had a glitch.

I'd use the contact report email located in the app (which includes basic info of phone, app, and device), describe what happened in your email, and send.

Users who are viewing this thread

• me7
  • bosi
Back