T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
Jan 2, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #676 of 1,838
Anyone else having an issue with USB Audio Player Pro not connecting to the internal DAC direct via USB-C?
Yes, spoke to the UAPP Dev about it, possibly has to do with the somewhat non-traditional switching circuitry in the T+A and the presence of the two internal DACs. In the end there are ways to get it to connect (by ignoring some of the prompts) but it's far from ideal. The Dev was not sure if and how he would potentially be able to solve this down the road.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #677 of 1,838
Also, USB DAC volume is Unacceptable as everyone else has already stated. Unusable from my Pixel 7 Pro.
On Android (smartphone) devices, yes.

However, as I posted previously in my most recent mini-impressions (here), on a Windows 11 laptop, not as much as an issue.
The Solitaire T can go louder in purely passive mode, but in USB-C DAC mode with Windows 11, it gets pretty loud.

Unfortunately, this is the only way I can listen to the Solitaire T in wired lossless mode without an external DAC; I wish I could do the same with my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra ☹️

Jan 2, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #678 of 1,838
Anyone else having an issue with USB Audio Player Pro not connecting to the internal DAC direct via USB-C?
Yes, spoke to the UAPP Dev about it, possibly has to do with the somewhat non-traditional switching circuitry in the T+A and the presence of the two internal DACs. In the end there are ways to get it to connect (by ignoring some of the prompts) but it's far from ideal. The Dev was not sure if and how he would potentially be able to solve this down the road.

I managed to get UAPP to work via using select options in the app, though on occasion it can glitch.

Here are some screenshots of my settings, in particular changing the USB tweaks (by turning them all off):
Screenshot_20230102_220949_USB Audio Player PRO.jpgScreenshot_20230102_220958_USB Audio Player PRO.pngScreenshot_20230102_221034_USB Audio Player PRO.pngScreenshot_20230102_221041_USB Audio Player PRO.png

However, as the volume on Android devices is significantly lower than standard Bluetooth connection, so I don't use USB-C to my smartphone.
USB-C to Windows 11 does not have this lower volume limit.

@WDitters is correct as the Solitaire T has multiple decoders:
  • Bluetooth mode: Qualcomm QCC5141
    Internal DAC and ADC
    (No diagram picture)

• ANC Mode: Qualcomm BT decoder to Sony CXD (ANC) chip
    CXD SoC DAC and Class A/B amp
    ANC-Mode.jpg

• HQ Mode: Qualcomm BT decoder to Esstech ES9218 chip
    ESS DAC and Class A amp
    HQ-Mode.jpg
For completeness, here is the diagram for passive mode:
  • Passive pathway
    Passive-Mode.jpg

Source of above circuitry topology diagrams are from Lowbeats.de (original link review posted on this thread by @angelom, post here).

Unlike most wireless BT headphones that implement a version of one the first two options, the latter is unique to the Solitaire T. I assume that the UAPP has not come across these multiple pathways in one device (that can switch to either modes quickly too), but hopefully a fix can be added in a future update (if feasible).

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #679 of 1,838
On Android (smartphone) devices, yes.

However, as I posted previously in my most recent mini-impressions (here), on a Windows 11 laptop, not as much as an issue.
The Solitaire T can go louder in purely passive mode, but in USB-C DAC mode with Windows 11, it gets pretty loud.

Unfortunately, this is the only way I can listen to the Solitaire T in wired lossless mode without an external DAC; I wish I could do the same with my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra ☹️

What's the preferred app for Windows to play High Res Audio these days?

Jan 2, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #680 of 1,838
What's the preferred app for Windows to play High Res Audio these days?
I used to use JRiver, which is still good, though does not have native Tidal support.

Currently, I'm using the official Tidal app itself with KoordASIO.

However, Roon might be the ultimate application on a Windows system.

Jan 3, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #682 of 1,838
Hey guys, quick question for you all. Do you no notice anything weird going on with the ANC when you're out an about using these during the day? Like for example, with the Bathys, that ANC would kind of dip when you were moving around with them, something that I found very annoying.
Yes I do, the ST are sensitive to sudden movements.
I also noticed that when driving a car on the highway and meeting a lorry, the sudden change in the air pressure cause a bad distorsion.
None of this happens with Sennheiser M3. I have no other to compare with.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #683 of 1,838
For me, around the same, tight clamp force as the Stellia, although the ST cups are smaller, so they form a pretty tight seal on top of your ear. This produces some good passive noise isolation while perhaps also improving bass response.

Jan 3, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #684 of 1,838
Yes I do, the ST are sensitive to sudden movements.
I also noticed that when driving a car on the highway and meeting a lorry, the sudden change in the air pressure cause a bad distorsion.
None of this happens with Sennheiser M3. I have no other to compare with.
Dang, thanks for the info! Yeah, this is headphone is a no for me. That was reason I returned the Bathys, it made it nearly impossible to use it out and about. But I guess this more so designed to be used when you're stationary anyways so I guess it's not as a big of a deal for a lot of people.

Jan 3, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #685 of 1,838
Hey guys, so I was able to test out the Solitaires earlier today, and I have to say, sound quality wise, it may just be up there with the high end closed backs (like the Stellia, Liric, and VC). The only critique I have with the soundstage is the somewhat narrow soundstage (but that is obviously subjective whether you'd like that or not).

However, the ANC performance was a massive disappointment. Any time I moved my head somewhat quickly (or even slowly) I could the ANC acting up and causing some distortion/muddiness with the music I was listening to. I can't imagine how'd that be when I'm walking around with these with outside noise affecting the headphones.

Honestly, it wasn't for this ANC issue, I'd honestly consider buying them. The are EXTREMELY comfortable (much more than the Stellias imo, I could easily wear these all day). The touch controls are very inconsistent, but to me, for $1,600, the ANC needs to be better imo. Maybe this is something T+A could improve upon in future updates.

Jan 3, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #686 of 1,838
Update on my Solitaire T's, I can't get them to pair properly with my Pixel 7 Pro via Bluetooth today. I don't know what the issue is. The app isn't recognizing them. I can play music through them though. I did some time with the 5909 tonight as well, and they were better than I remembered. Almost preferred them in some cases. But I can't turn on HQ mode right now on the T's to be able to compare quickly.

Jan 4, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #687 of 1,838
Another update for the night. I am having discomfort on the right ear pad. I need to try some re-positioning. The ear openings are definitely smaller than the 5909. This might be a deal breaker.

Jan 4, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #688 of 1,838
However, the ANC performance was a massive disappointment. Any time I moved my head somewhat quickly (or even slowly) I could the ANC acting up and causing some distortion/muddiness with the music I was listening to. I can't imagine how'd that be when I'm walking around with these with outside noise affecting the headphones.
I don't find it that bad, it's not a show stopper IMHO. I can walk around outside normally without problems. But a classical problem is if you chew on something or look over you shoulder, which often creates a small air gap. Careful position of the headphones is necessary. I find that I need to rotate the ear cups forward a little bit to avoid ear leaks at the front side. Despite that they otherwise are loose in all joints, they don't fall in place by itself when putting on.

Jan 4, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #689 of 1,838
Like some others, I'm having an issue getting enough volume in BT mode. Did I hear there would be a fix for that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back