T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
Nov 16, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #106 of 1,883
Yesterday I criticising various very important aspects of the ST.

Now I want mentioning 3 very good aspects, the first one is specially important for me.

1. This is the first time that earpads not made of leather are working perfectly for me. ALWAYS in the past, with so many headphones, if the earpads aren't genuine leather, my ears getting hot and often sweating too. Only leather earpads allowing me listening several / many hours.

Yesterday is ok with the ST because the temperature inside my home is 23 degrees celsius, and even this temperature is problematic with some artificial leather earpads. Today I deciding increasing the temperature to 27-28 degrees using a heater. GREAT positive surprise is that after 1,5 hours my ears are absolutely fine, like is genuine leather. A+T choosing some material that is really fantastic.

2. The ST is a very comfortable headphone. The 5909 is better than Bathys, px8 and many others, except Bose qc35. The ST is equally comfortable than 5909, maybe even little better (not sure 100%).

3. Sound quality in "High Quality" mode is better than when is not activated. I don't know why yesterday I don't testing this, maybe because of so many frustrations with volume and touch interface.

The best way I can describing the sound with HQ mode on is that the layering is better and the sound a little more full, with better depth and instruments are better differentiated / separated. The difference isn't drastic but is clearly audible. The signature is the same, neutral-warm. Battery life with HQ mode on is half of when HQ is off, 35 vs 70, but I will using HQ all the time from this moment.

The volume level I'm not sure yet if I can accepting yet, my head is saying 75% yes, 25% no. The touch controls isn't so bad like yesterday but is still problematic and this is really so important for me. I use multipoint sometimes but I think I can living without it if other aspects are very good / excellent.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #107 of 1,883
Now that I discovering the "High Quality" mode, I think I prefer the sound of the Solitaire T than the 5909. BUT I must insisting that even when the difference between HQ on and off isn't dramatic, is sufficiently audible (for me), and this making me right now think that I prefer the sound of the ST.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #108 of 1,883
Now that I discovering the "High Quality" mode, I think I prefer the sound of the Solitaire T than the 5909.
When you have the chance, would love then to hear how both ANCs compare then. The ST compactness really make them possibly ideal travel companions.

People here reported there is no BT multipoint. It's hard believe. I know on my last Sonys the multipoint didn't work with LDAC, but worked with other codecs. Do these really have no multipoint at all?

I'm also curious about transparency compared to, say, APM or Bathys? During calls, call ANC be turned on? And how are the microphones for Zoom/ phone calls? At that price point, it would be nice to have a set of headphones that do it all pretty well. Already, seems we have SQ, comfort, styling, form factor, and built quality.

Nov 16, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #110 of 1,883
When you have the chance, would love then to hear how both ANCs compare then. The ST compactness really make them possibly ideal travel companions.

People here reported there is no BT multipoint. It's hard believe. I know on my last Sonys the multipoint didn't work with LDAC, but worked with other codecs. Do these really have no multipoint at all?

I'm also curious about transparency compared to, say, APM or Bathys? During calls, call ANC be turned on? And how are the microphones for Zoom/ phone calls? At that price point, it would be nice to have a set of headphones that do it all pretty well. Already, seems we have SQ, comfort, styling, form factor, and built quality.

You're asking many questions! But I understand because this is a very expensive product. :)

I answering 3 posts above (maybe you don't see?) that ANC and transparency are little better in ST than 5909. So, ANC in the ST is fine, sufficiently good (but never like Bose, Sony or APM), and transparency is very good.

Even when ST is more compact (because you can folding), when the headphone is inside the case, both 5909 and ST cases are very similar in size, the ST only very little more small.

I can't answering your other questions now. Sorry.

Nov 16, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #111 of 1,883
I feel is important I try and explaining some aspects of the sound of the Solitaire T so that others people's expectations aren't so far from reality.

I think that if you giving the ST to majority of people, they will thinking the ST is boring in sound, with not sufficient bass, treble or both and even with not big soundstage. This is a headphone that is adding very, very, VERY little colour to the sound. I'm sure that (many) more people will liking the Bathys, 5909 and even the PX8 more than the ST if they don't know the price or the manufacturer of this headphones.

For me the sound of the ST, after listening for several hours, even when I think is needing a little more sparkle, is very transparent, and real transparency is often giving perception of boring / not exciting sound. For me the sound of the ST is VERY exciting!!

Also, I never hearing a BT headphone that producing this type of clean sound in this level. Really, the BT performance is so, so close with lossless quality that is impressive.

I don't believe in HiRes AT ALL, my experience telling me this for several years. For me CD quality is (more than) perfect. The very most important thing is the quality of the mastering in the recording. CD / redbook is absolutely perfect for the human ears.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #112 of 1,883
@angelom I think you get a lot of questions because you are so enthusiastic about BT headphones. I always trust your judgements, having bought the H95 and the 5909 on your recommendation. Now I'm waiting for the final verdict on the T :)

Nov 16, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #113 of 1,883
Yes, you can activating ANC BUT bluetooth is still on. In this way (with the headphone on) in my MacBook Pro I have option of choosing 'external headphones' or BT headphones. If I choosing 'external headphone' the Solitaire BT is deactivated in my MacBook.

It‘s a little bit strange! When turning the headphone on it saß „conected“ but ist doesn‘t appear on the iPhone and the Sound is the Same. Turning off the headphone amp stops the Music, so I‘m not quite sure if the connection really is a BT connection and not wired.

Btw, what‘s Your feeling about the high quality mode?

Nov 16, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #114 of 1,883
@angelom I think you get a lot of questions because you are so enthusiastic about BT headphones. I always trust your judgements, having bought the H95 and the 5909 on your recommendation. Now I'm waiting for the final verdict on the T :)

Thank you for your positive comment.

The final verdict for me is difficult right now. And, honestly, is difficult for me giving honest recommendation of the ST right now. If I recommend this headphone now, I must saying to the person "Yes, but this aspect, but that other aspect, but that other aspect, but...!" Is difficult justifying a recommendation of a product that is costing 1300€ in Europe and 1600€ in America with so many (important) "buts".
  • For me is totally unacceptable that the ST app isn't ready when A+T having sufficient time for developing the app and having ready for launch. This isn't really dependent in production delays.
  • The volume aspect is unacceptable. Some people complaining about the volume in H95 and 5909 (not me). Many more people will complaining about this aspect in ST, is happening already.
  • Multi point is very important for many people, and is for me, in some ways, too. And isn't available in this so expensive headphone??! Specially people spending this money want / need multi point!
  • For me the more BIG problem right now is the touch interface. After many hours and with my experience with so many BT headphones, the ST isn't responding well still. When I changing headphones, even pressing play / pause is NOT reliable!!
BUT, in my very personal case, I'm still considering keeping the ST, the 'boring' sound I'm appreciating VERY much, more and more in the ST. The ST is very comfortable too (this is critical), I'm not having problems with earpads material (critical for me), travel case is very good / practical, decent ANC and very good transparency.

BUT the negatives are VERY negative.

It‘s a little bit strange! When turning the headphone on it saß „conected“ but ist doesn‘t appear on the iPhone and the Sound is the Same. Turning off the headphone amp stops the Music, so I‘m not quite sure if the connection really is a BT connection and not wired.

Btw, what‘s Your feeling about the high quality mode?

I only testing the wired ST with my MacBook Pro (not with my iPhone) and is very clear when the wired connection is happening, because the volume is very more loud, and because my MacBook is showing me that I have a wired connection (also the name in my case for the ST wired and BT are different because I changing the name of the ST in BT mode, can't changing name for wired mode).

About my opinion of HQ sound, I explaining in one post above my opinion already, but my comments are using HQ only in BT mode.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #115 of 1,883
The sound is really growing on me! I can hear details that I've haven't heard before. Initially I thought they sounded boring, but this type of sound is very interesting to say the least. I'm now a fan of this sound as someone des described as "neutral-warm" :)

Buut yeah, there are unfortunately so many other flaws... :frowning2: This feels like a typical first product from an established company that ventures into a new area.

If they had...
-Bit higher volume
-Multipoint
- Button controls
- fixed quick attention mode
-App

Personally id prefer bigger ear cups too. And yeah full button controls, it's such a shame really since the buttons that are really great in terms of quality.

Not sure what I'll do now. The sound is amazing, but so many other flaws. Either way I'll deffo keep an eye out for future BT products from this company. The segment will take a huge leap forward with the latest qualcomm SoC as well.

I'll never understand why the industry is so in love with touch controls.. :frowning2:
The same is happening in the car industry...

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #116 of 1,883
Hey,

I am a new member on this site and like my name says I am from Germany. My go to headphone is the ML 5909 and I got it for a fair price of 800 €.
On 14.11.22 I got the Solitaire T and I had high expectations (still having). I mean a price tag of 1300 € for an ANC BT headphone is something special right now.
Like the previouse commentators I am kinda disappointed...
The ML outshines in clarity (its kinda harsh sometimes but with eq you can balance it out) and ambient sound. I am also disappointed about the maximum volume output in BT mode. Some songs are great with the Solitaire T but this does not justify a price difference of 500 € (for me). Build quality is good but not as good as the ML. The ML does feel like a tank this is not much said about the Solitaire but it is still a well build headphone. I like more the padding on the Solitaire, it is not so fatiguing although the ML has bigger earcups. The touch sensitive operation is not a problem for me although I needed some time to get it right. HQ mode is not a big difference for me versus normal mode and the wired connection is still better than HQ mode.
Overall I am not sure if I should give the Solitaire T more time or just send them back. The salesman told me to give them more playtime, he even gives me extra 14 days return time on top of my existing 14 days return time. But I am not sure about "burn in" and etc... I think that the sound will not change much and the only thing will be that I will get used to the sound or not.

Right now I like the ML 5909 alot more than the Solitaire T.

PS: I am pretty new in the hifi section, so tell me: Is a "burn in" really required for headphones, will the sound change when I am using the headphones more? I would say that my ML 5909 still sounds the same as I got them fresh and new.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #117 of 1,883
Touch interface is the bane of my existence for headphones. I hope the next generation of T+A go with physical buttons.

Nov 16, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #118 of 1,883
When implementation of touch interface is good, like in H95, the user experience can be excellent. After I owning and trying more than 50 BT headphones and earphones, not one comparing to the fantastic user experience of H95. I miss that aspect of the H95 a lot.

Nov 17, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #119 of 1,883
So after a good sleep and excessive testing I am slowly getting in love with the sound of the Solitaire T. I tested it in wired mode with my IPhone and over BT and can say that indeed the HQ mode is doing a good job, there is not that much of a difference and when you compare it to the ML 5909, you hear a difference between wired and BT. Sure AAC is not the best codec but I am impressed that the Solitaire T holds the line without a sweat.
Soundwise I am understanding more and more the philosophy of the Solitaire T and I have to say that I am pretty new to the hifi section, so I am more familiar with funny tuned BT headphones which are made for the big mass.
At first the soundstage was kinda boring. I was much more preferring the extrem clarity (sometimes very harsh) and spacious sound of the ML 5909, but it changed. When I listened over Tidal in BT mode „P Diddy- I‘ll be missing you“ in master quality I was kinda sucked in. The Solitaire T is so balanced, warm and on spot that the ML 5909 was kinda not so funny anymore in any way.

So after all do not judge too fast and give it more time. I will take some more time for sure before I will decide which one fits more for me.

I just hope that they really work on an app where it is possible to get some gain out of the volume in BT mode…That would be a big one for my decision making.

Nov 17, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #120 of 1,883
Two days ago I writing this:

I will waiting maybe 2 more days, but right now I'm 97% sure that I will returning the ST.

Yesterday I writing this two comments:

Now that I discovering the "High Quality" mode, I think I prefer the sound of the Solitaire T than the 5909. BUT I must insisting that even when the difference between HQ on and off isn't dramatic, is sufficiently audible (for me), and this making me right now think that I prefer the sound of the ST.

This is a headphone that is adding very, very, VERY little colour to the sound. I'm sure that (many) more people will liking the Bathys, 5909 and even the PX8 more than the ST if they don't know the price or the manufacturer of this headphones.

For me the sound of the ST, after listening for several hours, even when I think is needing a little more sparkle, is very transparent, and real transparency is often giving perception of boring / not exciting sound. For me the sound of the ST is VERY exciting!!

Also, I never hearing a BT headphone that producing this type of clean sound in this level. Really, the BT performance is so, so close with lossless quality that is impressive.

Today I'm trying finding sufficiently strong reasons for me personally for NOT returning and for keeping the Solitaire T (ST). Is good I deciding waiting at least 2 days for this. (many times I returning headphones next day and not once I regretting the decision). With the ST something is telling that that little 3% possibility is necessary for waiting for a definite decision even after some very important negative aspects.

The touch interface is still frustrating.

Volume steps is frustrating too, this is so critical aspect for me personally.

The max volume problem is present but this aspect right now I think I can accepting and I only hoping A+T making change with firmware update in future. But even if never is a change, I think I can live accepting this.

Multipoint connection I use several times in a week, and is great having this feature, but I can living without this, I think.

BUT the 'boring' sound of the ST really, really is VERY attractive for me, and is the best sound I hearing from any BT / ANC headphone before, and EVEN better from many wired headphones and earphones. This is forcing me waiting for my final decision. And the comfort is great, and my ears aren't becoming hot or sweating, two more critical aspects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back