T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
May 14, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #2,266 of 3,205
in reference to the album I posted, the most stark difference is the ease in which the SolP portrays the soundstage, width, height, and most notably the space in between instruments/elements and the singer. the album has songs with passages that can get quite busy and complex, and switching between the SolP and the Utopia, it quickly becomes apparent how much better the SolP handles those passages.

I find the SolP bass really very good (even with the ultra wide pads) in terms of speed, detail and punch. I'd say it out punches the utopia, and approaches the TC. with the ultra wide pads, there is definitely less bloom and slightly less extension than with the stock pads, but it is much tightened and easier to make out details.

vocals are even more pinpoint, strong and crisp than the Utopia. however, the vocals are also more forward placed than the Utopia, which some may not prefer.

Lol.. I hope I'm not setting u up for disappointment. fingers crossed it is to your liking.
What surprised me in your elaboration is that SoIP out punches Utopia as Focals are known for their dynamic "punch and slam". Otherwise, I expected SoIP to be superior in soundstage, separation and bass. What you described sounds like a significant step-up!

Hope to be able to hear both soon.

May 14, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #2,267 of 3,205
What surprised me in your elaboration is that SoIP out punches Utopia as Focals are known for their dynamic "punch and slam". Otherwise, I expected SoIP to be superior in soundstage, separation and bass. What you described sounds like a significant step-up!

Hope to be able to hear both soon.
I can't really argue with what @Roasty hears, but on any of my systems I hear somewhat differently: Utopia is punchier (meaning subjectively "faster" upper bass and better dynamics), while the SolP is more extended (noticeable only on material with truly deep bass), warmer, darker and smoother with less apparent "air". I like to say the SolP is more "creamy" than dark if that makes any sense.

Both are equally detailed, but the Utopia is brighter and therefore pushes the detail in your face while the SolP is more subtle, but just as resolving. In fact on close listening with a detailed source one might even consider the SolP to be slightly more detailed.

The Utopia's soundstage is smaller and although the SolP's stage is not over-sized, instruments are better placed instruments within the stage. I think that is a psycho-acoustic result of the depressed midrange. For the same reason, to me separation is subjectively better on the SolP.

Due to the lower distortion and darker tonal balance I can listen to the SolP much longer and at a higher volume than I can listen to the Utopia. Having said this, in my estimation the Utopia is closer to what a neutral studio moniter sounds like.

Switching from Utopia to SolP the SolP sounds darker, less dynamic and reserved; perhaps even a littke unremarkable on some material until your ears adjust. Going the other way and the Utopia initially sounds a little too bright with slightly exaggerated transients. My preference varies with mood, program material, time of day, phases of the moon, etc ... In an earlier post I said that on a quick back to back comparison and not considering the price most people would likely choose the Utopia and I stand by that. I also said that on a longer listen the choice becomes less clear and I still believe that to be the case especially if the SolP is used with a good silver cable that reduces the upper midrange dip.. However, factor in price and unless money is absolutely not a factor or you have a distinct preference for a darker signature, IMO the balance of preference swings heavily toward the Utopia.

As is, I think they complement each other well, but with a few minor tweaks to the SolP I could probably give up the Utopia ... something I never would have thought I would hear myself say.

May 14, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #2,268 of 3,205
I can't really argue with what @Roasty hears, but on any of my systems I hear somewhat differently: Utopia is punchier (meaning subjectively "faster" upper bass and better dynamics), while the SolP is more extended (noticeable only on material with truly deep bass), warmer, darker and smoother with less apparent "air". I like to say the SolP is more "creamy" than dark if that makes any sense.

Both are equally detailed, but the Utopia is brighter and therefore pushes the detail in your face while the SolP is more subtle, but just as resolving. In fact on close listening with a detailed source one might even consider the SolP to be slightly more detailed.

The Utopia's soundstage is smaller and although the SolP's stage is not over-sized, instruments are better placed instruments within the stage. I think that is a psycho-acoustic result of the depressed midrange. For the same reason, to me separation is subjectively better on the SolP.

Due to the lower distortion and darker tonal balance I can listen to the SolP much longer and at a higher volume than I can listen to the Utopia. Having said this, in my estimation the Utopia is closer to what a neutral studio moniter sounds like.

Switching from Utopia to SolP the SolP sounds darker, less dynamic and reserved; perhaps even a littke unremarkable on some material until your ears adjust. Going the other way and the Utopia initially sounds a little too bright with slightly exaggerated transients. My preference varies with mood, program material, time of day, phases of the moon, etc ... In an earlier post I said that on a quick back to back comparison and not considering the price most people would likely choose the Utopia and I stand by that. I also said that on a longer listen the choice becomes less clear and I still believe that to be the case especially if the SolP is used with a good silver cable that reduces the upper midrange dip.. However, factor in price and unless money is absolutely not a factor or you have a distinct preference for a darker signature, IMO the balance of preference swings heavily toward the Utopia.

As is, I think they complement each other well, but with a few minor tweaks to the SolP I could probably give up the Utopia ... something I never would have thought I would hear myself say.

is that with the stock pads or the ultra wide pads?

May 14, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #2,269 of 3,205
My comments were referring to the stock pads. I have not heard the Ultra-wide pads in a long time. Back when I did it was a very short audition and I could not do a direct comparison to the stock pads or to the Utopia.

Although I initially liked the Ultra-wide pads I subsequently discovered from the graphs that they in fact further reduce the upper midrange. Having said that, they did sound brighter with a bit faster bass. In fact, my comments at the time were that based on a short listen they appeared to address many of the issues I had with the stock pad. So if your impressions were based on using the Ultra-wide pads I have no basis to disagree.

May 14, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #2,270 of 3,205
My comments were referring to the stock pads. I have not heard the Ultra-wide pads in a long time. Back when I did it was a very short audition and I could not do a direct comparison to the stock pads or to the Utopia.

Although I initially liked the Ultra-wide pads I subsequently discovered from the graphs that they in fact further reduce the upper midrange. Having said that, they did sound brighter with a bit faster bass. In fact, my comments at the time were that based on a short listen they appeared to address many of the issues I had with the stock pad. So if your impressions were based on using the Ultra-wide pads I have no basis to disagree.

ah no worries man. just wanted to know which pads u were using for that comparison post, to make sure my ears were not playing tricks on me. my post was with the ultra wide pads.

if on the stock pads, I actually agree with everything u mentioned. using the wide pads, the SolP becomes almost a completely different hp. love that T+A gave the option of a second pad for this headphone. with the ultra-wide pads, my preference swings heavily from the utopia to the SolP.

May 14, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #2,271 of 3,205
ah no worries man. just wanted to know which pads u were using for that comparison post, to make sure my ears were not playing tricks on me. my post was with the ultra wide pads.

if on the stock pads, I actually agree with everything u mentioned. using the wide pads, the SolP becomes almost a completely different hp. love that T+A gave the option of a second pad for this headphone. with the ultra-wide pads, my preference swings heavily from the utopia to the SolP.
I think you mentioned with ultra wide pads you felt the SoIP were bassier susvara’s? If this is the case what would you call the stock pads? Super Empyreans?

May 15, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #2,272 of 3,205

Attachments

• BJ2A4994.JPG
    BJ2A4994.JPG
    645.8 KB · Views: 0
  • BJ2A4995.JPG
    BJ2A4995.JPG
    643.9 KB · Views: 0
May 16, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #2,274 of 3,205
I think you mentioned with ultra wide pads you felt the SoIP were bassier susvara’s? If this is the case what would you call the stock pads? Super Empyreans?

yep with the wide pads, it does remind me of the susvara. I do think the P has better soundstage and imaging than the Sus tho.. anyways let us know what u think of it when u get the P! don't think I can make a good call on the "super empy" as it has been quite some time since I last heard it.

May 16, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #2,277 of 3,205
Has anyone perhaps tried the Forza Audio cables (for the HD800) to see if they work with the SolP?
I am sure Matt @Forzaaudioworks will be able to adjust the connector for anyone asking.
The first question is: do they offer pure silver litz cables?
Haven't seen any in their webshop?

May 16, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #2,278 of 3,205
I am sure Matt @Forzaaudioworks will be able to adjust the connector for anyone asking.
The first question is: do they offer pure silver litz cables?
Haven't seen any in their webshop?
No they don't

May 17, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #2,279 of 3,205
FB_IMG_1652785621957.jpg

And one more.
You can see the Bluetooth and "on" setting.
Definitely a Bluetooth headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back