T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
Nov 8, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #2,776 of 3,218
One can now acquire a relatively compact Purifi-based class D power amp (with adjustable gain) for roughly $1200-1500. For anyone looking to discover the "full potential" of the Susvara, that is what I'd recommend investing in currently. Such a chain can be further tuned to taste with upstream component choices (preamp or DAC). There are numerous vendors around the globe producing Purifi-based amps, such as Buckeye (US) and Apollon or BoXem (EU). Most offer a risk-free in-home trial.

It has also been my experience that these speaker amps work very well with most (particularly insensitive) planars provided the gain isn't too high. With something the Solitaire P, it may be less practical. One advantage of the Purifi-based amps for driving headphones is their extremely low noise floor, especially given the power on tap.

I used to have an Apollo purifi amp and loved it.
have to put a word of caution for new purchases though. Tibor takes a bit of time to reply and it can be a bit exasperating sometimes. Also, a friend had a multichannel amp delivered not long ago, and it come DOA and there were some build issues. don't know if it was damaged from shipping. but having to troubleshoot an amp with the builder overseas and the thought of having to ship it back + downtime..

have to agree though, a speaker amp is really the way to go for the Susvara. and even the T+A Solitaire-P sounds better out of a good pre/power, despite its comparatively lower power requirement.

Nov 8, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #2,777 of 3,218
I'd wait for the reviews of the new Holo Audio Bliss if I was still on the Susvara train

Nov 8, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #2,778 of 3,218
I'd wait for the reviews of the new Holo Audio Bliss if I was still on the Susvara train
Either that or get a Zähl HM1.

I don't Think the Ha200 lacks the Power for the Susvara, but the clean sound signature might be a Bad fit for it. The Susvara needs something with grunt and not pure Finesse. Therefore most love a speaker amp with it.

Nov 8, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #2,779 of 3,218
I'm (almost) sure it'll receive excellent reviews and will be engineered to Holo's high standards. OTOH, there's already a fair number of great-measuring, solid state headphone amps out in the wild. I've yet to hear one that gets the Susvara sounding as good as a (at least, my) speaker amp setup, although I've never had the opportunity to audition the Zaehl, which has received raves. The Purifi amps, at a fraction of the cost, represent a very compelling value proposition in the current landscape, while admittedly lacking any preamp functionality.

This is only tangentially related to the Soli P, so I guess I'll leave it there...

Nov 9, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #2,780 of 3,218
One can now acquire a relatively compact Purifi-based class D power amp (with adjustable gain) for roughly $1200-1500. For anyone looking to discover the "full potential" of the Susvara, that is what I'd recommend investing in currently. Such a chain can be further tuned to taste with upstream component choices (preamp or DAC). There are numerous vendors around the globe producing Purifi-based amps, such as Buckeye (US) and Apollon or BoXem (EU). Most offer a risk-free in-home trial.

It has also been my experience that these speaker amps work very well with most (particularly insensitive) planars provided the gain isn't too high. With something the Solitaire P, it may be less practical. One advantage of the Purifi-based amps for driving headphones is their extremely low noise floor, especially given the power on tap.
Didn’t think of this :) Connecting the power amp as preamp for the main HP amp? What kind of power amp would work best with T+A ha200 ?

I asked hifiman about the T+A HA 200 and they told me it would be enough to drive susvara.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #2,781 of 3,218
I agree with @ThanatosVI that besides technical aspects the synergy with headphone and your signature preference plus most likely music taste is essential.
While I found HA200 stock tuning ideal for SolP with its darker signature I found it often too bright with Meze Elite and wished to have a tube preamp in this moment.
I also found to have a leaner, neutral signature on HA200 letting me use Loudness DSP 75% of my time for Indie, Rock and EDM which isn't the case with other amps like my current Ferrum stack.
Stage width was remarkable wide either as amp or DAC/amp on HA200

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #2,782 of 3,218
Didn’t think of this :) Connecting the power amp as preamp for the main HP amp? What kind of power amp would work best with T+A ha200 ?

I asked hifiman about the T+A HA 200 and they told me it would be enough to drive susvara.
Actually, the HP amp would be acting as the preamp. Its line out would drive the power amp, which would power the headphone through an adapter. The vast majority of power amps would likely interface well with the HA 200 from an impedance standpoint. I simply recommended the one(s) *I* consider the best option for performance, ergonomics, and cost. YMMV, of course. I suggest visiting the Susvara (or speaker amp) thread and searching these topics therein for more options and details, if you're interested.

HFM is likely correct that you'd get good sound (and acceptable headroom) driving the Sus with an HA 200, but you had initially asked about "full potential".

Nov 9, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #2,784 of 3,218
The T+A A 200 power amplifier is also based on the Purifi Eigentakt (class D) output stages - TA-HiFi.de .
If someone wants more power but stay in the same Design he can add the A200 to his Ha200 and use the latter as pre. (Albeit this only works with the 4Pin XLR cable from the front)

Insane people could even go with the two Monoblocks 😅

On a serious note, I don't think the Ha200 is lacking power.

Nov 9, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #2,786 of 3,218
The T+A A 200 power amplifier is also based on the Purifi Eigentakt (class D) output stages - TA-HiFi.de .
True, but it costs roughly 3x what I mentioned for something very similar. I'm also not sure if the A 200 offers adjustable gain, which is quite useful in the context of headphones. There's no doubt the A 200 offers superior build quality, fit and finish, and proprietary tech, but my intention was to share a low cost, low risk way to ascertain if a speaker amp was a good addition to someone's chain. Cheers. :xf_smile:

Nov 9, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #2,787 of 3,218
Actually, the HP amp would be acting as the preamp. Its line out would drive the power amp, which would power the headphone through an adapter. The vast majority of power amps would likely interface well with the HA 200 from an impedance standpoint. I simply recommended the one(s) *I* consider the best option for performance, ergonomics, and cost. YMMV, of course. I suggest visiting the Susvara (or speaker amp) thread and searching these topics therein for more options and details, if you're interested.

HFM is likely correct that you'd get good sound (and acceptable headroom) driving the Sus with an HA 200, but you had initially asked about "full potential".
CORRECTION: I just looked at the product page for the HA 200 and it doesn't seem to feature line outputs, which is somewhat unusual for higher end headphone amps in my experience. My apologies for any confusion.

Nov 9, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #2,788 of 3,218
Nov 9, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #2,789 of 3,218
The Ha200 can be used as preamp with the 4 pin XLR output at the front.

https://shop.ta-hifi.de/de/kabel/verbindungskabel/4-pin-xlr-zu-rca-adapterr-ha-200-4663-99101
To supplement your answer, T+A verified with me that you can use a standard 4 pin XLR to dual 3 pin adapter or you can use a 4.4mm pentacon to dual 3 pin XLR adapter. They work the same. I have used both with no issues. The 4.4mm pentacon is how I connect the HA200 to my carbon cc. It works well. The trick is where to set the volume on both devices. I was advised to experiment.

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #2,790 of 3,218
Ha200 is a wonderful unit. I’m a little unsure about the loudness function. Where to put it? It makes a difference on both high and low volume. Anyone ?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back