Symphonium Crimson - Impressions and Reviews (The Next Standard)
Oct 7, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #256 of 445
I can try to provide some.

Crimson has a U-shaped tuning, and Singularity has a more L-shaped tuning.

Both sets have fantastic bass. The bass sounds more prominent in the frequency response for the Singularity, but it still somehow sounds balanced. A remarkable feat no doubt.

It's no secret that both sets have great bass, but they differ in how they achieve it.

The Singularity bass is bouncier, and has a longer decay. It has a very organic quality to it as well.
The Crimson bass has a more defined transient edge, is faster, and is tighter.
Both sets have good texturing. I think Crimson's bass has more of an authoritative slam when it engages but I could see people thinking it goes the other way.

Singularity and Crimson both have somewhat warmer mids. Crimson has better midrange resolution and better resolution overall, while I think Singularity has a better timbre. Singularity's mids are smooth, lush, and organic.

Both sets have well-extended treble responses. The Crimson's is more boosted in comparison. There's a peak somewhere in the Crimson's treble that can make it sound a little sizzly/tizzy on some chains. I've corrected this with ear tips. The end result is a decent treble response with good air.

Singularity's treble is smoother in comparison and is perceptibly free of any peaks. I'd consider it a safer treble response overall.

From a technicalities standpoint, Crimson is superior. It is noticeably more resolving and has a significantly larger soundstage. Its imaging is standout and I think it's slightly more dynamic as well. Singularity's techs are decent but not class-leading for its price.

Why pick Singularity then? I think there are still some reasons. I think Singularity is more musical, and it's the kind of set that you can put on and kick back to and listen to all day. It's the kind of set that makes me forget I'm listening to IEMs and puts the focus on the music. It's wonderfully coherent.

They're both great sets. It's hard to go wrong with Crimson or Singularity. I hope this helps.
What a great breakdown! The Crimson and Singularity were my two favorites from the most recent canjam socal. Well, that is considering that I'm not going to be buying a storm anytime soon :). I ended up in the car at the end of the 2nd day, ready to drive home, and decided to go back in and buy a crimson before I left.

Then I got home, couldn't get the singularity off my mind, and ordered one. Looks like they'll be battling it out for ear time. I'll have a chance to get really acclimated to the Crimson's sound signature before the Singularity arrives.

The best part is that the first listen when I was home with the Crimson was better than when I demo'd, and the demo had sold me. Really great iem. I've had some bad luck over the last week (computer died but I repaired it today) so I haven't had the chance to post my iem journey in the canjam socal thread, but it's coming.

Oct 7, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #257 of 445
You've already asked that question before, look through the thread.
There are plenty of replies form one particular rep with quite patronizing undertone.
The only adult response was provided by Mr. @Chang from Subtonic here, which is really appreciated, things could be received differently if Symphonium started with that message instead of playing charades "why do you want to know, what difference does it make, it's not driver count it's how it sounds", etc.
Well, too bad, I will look the other way for my next upgrade.
Look to another thread while you're at it.

Oct 7, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #260 of 445
There are plenty of replies form one particular rep with quite patronizing undertone.
The only adult response was provided by Mr. @Chang from Subtonic here, which is really appreciated, things could be received differently if Symphonium started with that message instead of playing charades "why do you want to know, what difference does it make, it's not driver count it's how it sounds", etc.
Symphonium is unable to reply here as they aren't a sponsor yet. In addition, they are neither the first nor will they be the last to choose not to disclose their driver configuration at launch. Other notable examples are the FatFreq Maestro line and several FitEar models, which have all been on the market for a considerable amount of time now without having ever officially disclosed their full configuration. Similar public feedback gathering prior to the configuration announcement has also been done before, like with the CustomArt FIBAE Black.

Ultimately, a manufacturer can choose how much and what they want to disclose. In electronics, there are manufacturers who also hold the parts that they use extremely close to their chests. Imagine asking Masuda-san of MassKobo the details of the topology of his amps or what opamps he uses. Symphonium is free to choose when and how they would like to disclose their configuration, and consumers are free to vote with their dollars. There is no gun to anybody's head, and there is precedent for this. Even FitEar's flagship, the DC Ti, never officially had its specs disclosed. I love it, and I will likely buy it because it doesn't bother me, but if it bothers you, you are also free to choose not to buy.

There is nothing anti-consumer about choice. Apple also never fully discloses their chip clock speeds, while most Intel and ARM-based devices do. By this logic, no one should buy an Apple device. But the user base is still there because the end experience has always been a priority. People are given a choice, and people choose. There are a myriad of options on the market, many of them spec warriors. Options are aplenty for everyone these days. Plenty of folks in this thread have heard Crimson, and many of them own it and are enjoying it. This might not be a product for you, but instead of insisting that others don't enjoy it, perhaps it's best to look elsewhere to products that better suit your needs.

Last edited:
Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Oct 7, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #261 of 445
NE9nbJJ.gif

Oct 7, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #262 of 445
This guy Andrew seems like he'd be real fun at parties.

Guy needs a different hobby really.

Oct 7, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #263 of 445
What a great breakdown! The Crimson and Singularity were my two favorites from the most recent canjam socal. Well, that is considering that I'm not going to be buying a storm anytime soon :). I ended up in the car at the end of the 2nd day, ready to drive home, and decided to go back in and buy a crimson before I left.

Then I got home, couldn't get the singularity off my mind, and ordered one. Looks like they'll be battling it out for ear time. I'll have a chance to get really acclimated to the Crimson's sound signature before the Singularity arrives.

The best part is that the first listen when I was home with the Crimson was better than when I demo'd, and the demo had sold me. Really great iem. I've had some bad luck over the last week (computer died but I repaired it today) so I haven't had the chance to post my iem journey in the canjam socal thread, but it's coming.
Can you please share some impressions on Crimson? I think there should be a bundle discount on Singularity+Crimson as few folks like me are confused on which to pick.

Oct 7, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #264 of 445
I wonder if you can audition crimson at audio 46. Would love to bring the Volür there and check them out together

Oct 7, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #265 of 445
I wonder if you can audition crimson at audio 46. Would love to bring the Volür there and check them out together
Totally, this comparison will really be interesting.

Oct 7, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #266 of 445
Totally, this comparison will really be interesting.
I did audition the volur at canjam but ended up buying the crimson. I don't feel like I gave anything up and the crimson is quite a bit less expensive. I'll post a canjam iem impression soon, I've been working on my computer (it died) so i've been delayed.

Oct 7, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #267 of 445
I did audition the volur at canjam but ended up buying the crimson. I don't feel like I gave anything up and the crimson is quite a bit less expensive. I'll post a canjam iem impression soon, I've been working on my computer (it died) so i've been delayed.

I'd love to hear how the Crimson bass matched the Volur in both impact and depth while having control.

Oct 8, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #269 of 445
I do think that auditioning the volur in the room vs. auditioning the crimson on the main floor made a difference in the comparisons. When I got the Crimson home I was pleased that it was better than what I remembered. I'll dig out my notes and get some more insight, as I did like the volur as well. I was not a fan of the U4S, but the Volur was a nice iem for my preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back