Symphonium Crimson - Impressions and Reviews (The Next Standard)
Aug 23, 2023 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 445

jp11801

aka JP-nums or JP-numbers
Lead Organizer for Can Jam '09
Ok folks here is our thread to discuss the new Crimson IEM, I own launch edition #11. Having heard these at CanJam London I knew I had to grab a set of these. I already own the 64 Audio U12t and the Sony M9. Previously in my stable were IEMs like the JH 13, 16 and Lola as well as the FIR M5, Sony Z1R amongst others.

At CanJam London I was able to audition well over 30 IEMs with about a dozen on my target list for potential next purchase. While many would disagree I think the $2k (USD) mark is the sweet spot and above which gains are somewhat minimal. My one major exception would be the Subtonic Storm. Interestingly I did audition the Crimson directly after spending about 20 minutes with the Storm. What was a revelation was while not up to the lofty heights of the Storm the Crimson had significant amounts of the core sonic traits of the Storm (IMO). This led me to take a leap on the purchase of a unit right there at the show.

While not ready to write a full review, my initial post purchase impressions are overwhelmingly positive. Attributes the Crimson displays immediately are absolutely clean sonics with separation I've not heard (save the storm and a few kilo buck IEMs) with absolute tonal accuracy. Starting this thread as a place for the 30 Launch Edition Owners and beyond to post their thoughts as well as a place for prospective owners to ask questions.
https://www.symphoniumaudio.com/pages/crimson

1692795627647.png

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #2 of 445
First let me say my photography skills are rudimentary at best :relaxed:. Hopefully though these photos give you a sense of the unboxing experience.
  1. The IEMs are presented first in a draw string bag
  2. Once the bag is opened you are presented with a black paper tissue type paper with a faux wax seal. My picture does not represent how it looked when first opened as I opened and rewrapped the paper (poorly). It looked very sharp and the wax seal gave it an air of flair (even thought the wax was affixed with a glue rather than wax sealed)
  3. Then onto the actual box!
  4. Initially inside the box you see an envelope and below the envelope there is a metal case that hold the Crimsons and the 8 strand and extremely nice cable as well as a faceplate embedded into the box
  5. Inside my envelope were two Crimson Postcards, one blank and one with a rather nice note from Symphonium
  6. Inside metal case is also a cleaning tool, extra set of tips, a few stickers and the 3.5 plug for the cable
  7. The box has a pull out drawer that holds two sets of tips in three sizes
  8. And then the reason for all this the lovely looking Crimsons. I am not a huge fan of forged carbon but these look pretty cool in the light.
IMG_2528.jpeg

IMG_2529.jpeg

IMG_2530.jpeg

IMG_2532.jpeg

IMG_2533.jpeg

IMG_2534.jpeg

IMG_2535.jpeg

IMG_2536.jpeg
IMG_2537.jpeg
IMG_2538.jpeg
IMG_2539.jpeg
IMG_2540.jpeg
IMG_2541.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 445
My unit is scheduled to arrive tomorrow and I'm excited to try it out. I also own the Helios SE, IER-M9, and Aür Aure.

I loved OG Helios and I love Helios SE even more so I have high expectations for the Crimson.
safe travels for your Crimson!! Into day three with my units and love the sound but am fiddling a bit with comfort. I think it is the larger size of the nozzle relative to the Sony and 64 Audio. I can go about two albums and then need to take a bit of a break. Will update to see if it is something that I just need to get used to.

Aug 24, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #7 of 445
What would you say the differences are between Crimson and Storm?
the storm is just all together better top to bottom but IMO you get a sound that is in the same view as the Storm, the storm is just qualitatively better pretty much all around as ````it should be at approximately 3.5x the price.

Aug 24, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #8 of 445
the storm is just all together better top to bottom but IMO you get a sound that is in the same view as the Storm, the storm is just qualitatively better pretty much all around as ````it should be at approximately 3.5x the price.
Pretty excited for your review on this! Decided to take the plunge on this pre-order despite having limited info, but given Symphonium's prior releases and the fact that they (along with Nightjar & Subtomic) just seem like a good group of dudes that consistently make high-quality sets, I didn't feel too concerned at all!

I won't lie though, this graph that seemed to be making the rounds may have gotten me pretty trigger happy with the purchase button. It doesn't appear to be up on Elise's squiq yet.. (if it ever was?) but then again, it could also be a prototype that isn't accurate so I'll only have to hope it's not too different!

22.png

My biggest issue with Helios was that mid-bass dip; while I have not listened to a Helios, it does remind me of the OG Monarch and Variations, which I wasn't a fan of for that specific reason despite all their other positive qualities. Crimson looks much more up my alley (assuming this is accurate); looks like how I would have preferred the U12t, especially in the upper mid-range/treble area. Would love to hear your initial impressions when compared to U12t in regards to resolution and dynamics. :)

Aug 25, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 445
Following, thanks for starting the thread @jp11801!

Aug 26, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #12 of 445
ok my apologies as it has been a busy week, I've just relocated to Southern Spain from the US after a looooong career in corporate America.

Formal review to follow but initial thoughts:
Bass goes extremely low but is not bloated nor does it interfere with the kids in any way. The bass is also extremely clean and clear. So maybe not a basshead piece but absolutely for someone that likes well defined and articulated bass.
Mids - vocals and guitars once again have great articulation and once agin very clean and clear. Not rounded but also not sharp or abrasive. There is something intermittent in the upper mids, a bit of a sheen that I've only noticed a few odd times on modern masterings. Not painful like a spike but the only tonal anomaly that I've spotted across the range. all and all very great
Treble is well extended (or at least these 58 year old ears will hear) my hearing test very good with little to no damage but time does come for us all. Reverb decay and cymbals are excellent
The headstage for an IEM is excellent and the layering and separation is class leading.

I'll be writing up my thoughts more formally as well as doing a bit of a three way comparison that will be posted Tuesday. Others that have received theirs please feel free to chime in with any thoughts and pros and cons you have heard to date.

Aug 26, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #13 of 445
ok my apologies as it has been a busy week, I've just relocated to Southern Spain from the US after a looooong career in corporate America.

Formal review to follow but initial thoughts:
Bass goes extremely low but is not bloated nor does it interfere with the kids in any way. The bass is also extremely clean and clear. So maybe not a basshead piece but absolutely for someone that likes well defined and articulated bass.
Mids - vocals and guitars once again have great articulation and once agin very clean and clear. Not rounded but also not sharp or abrasive. There is something intermittent in the upper mids, a bit of a sheen that I've only noticed a few odd times on modern masterings. Not painful like a spike but the only tonal anomaly that I've spotted across the range. all and all very great
Treble is well extended (or at least these 58 year old ears will hear) my hearing test very good with little to no damage but time does come for us all. Reverb decay and cymbals are excellent
The headstage for an IEM is excellent and the layering and separation is class leading.

I'll be writing up my thoughts more formally as well as doing a bit of a three way comparison that will be posted Tuesday. Others that have received theirs please feel free to chime in with any thoughts and pros and cons you have heard to date.

Thanks sir!

Aug 26, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #14 of 445
Very interested to see what everyone's impressions will be compared to the U12T as that is my current daily driver.

Aug 27, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #15 of 445
Very interested to see what everyone's impressions will be compared to the U12T as that is my current daily driver.

Hopefully, @Precogvision can comment as the legendary u12t after he gets a moment with them when he's in Singapore.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back