Symphonium Crimson - Impressions and Reviews (The Next Standard)
Sep 28, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #196 of 445
I got my Crimson! Have been listening since yesterday. I won't say much about the sound until my thoughts are better formulated and I've had more time, but these sound remarkably smooth for being as energetic as they are. Oh, and the bass; it's real, and it's spectacular. Those Gregorian monks are putting in work!

I'm liking the cable too. At first I thought it wasn't modular and there must've been some mistake, only to realize the plug has a sleeve that you unscrew and slide down, allowing you to then access and detach the 4.4 or 3.5 piece. No pressure issues for me but I've really only ever had this issue with the M9 as far as I can remember. I've been listening to it with the Qudelix T71 in high gain. Yes...it sounds quite fantastic.

Attachments

• 20230928_165520.jpg
    20230928_165520.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #201 of 445
I am sure this is just unfortunate phrasing, but holy crap.

This isn't an experiment. This is your fans and potential customers forking over 4 figures for your latest and greatest at launch, largely based on faith. That's not time to lecture your customers, let alone conduct unwitting social experimentation on them to grind a marketing axe.

Crimson looks fantastic to me, on paper and off, but Symphonium's stance towards its customers as communicated here comes across as very passive aggressive and petty. Assuming your customers are too stupid for the truth is a great way to drive off the smart money.
+1 on this from me. I liked the Crimson, so much so that I was going to purchase one. I figured the secret specs thing was going to end shortly after it’s debut. Since that is not the case I pulled back on buying one. I vote with my dollars and 1500 is a lot of dollars.

This ‘experiment’ comes off to me as arrogant, elitist and anti consumer. “You can pay $1500 for our product but you can’t know what’s in it because you wouldn’t understand”. Yeah, good luck with that one.

I feel the likelihood of you (Symphonium) changing someones mind for what you see as the better with this approach/stance you’re taking is significantly lower than the likelihood that you will cause a prospective buyer to simply look elsewhere (as I did).

All the best

Sep 29, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #203 of 445
No one can please everyone, if you don't like it's fine. Someone else will.
Absolutely someone will. But I feel that’s a very odd position to take when no one objected to the status quo of transparency with regards to specs. This is an issue/discourse that Symphonium are choosing to create. I’m sure they know that.

Sep 29, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #204 of 445
Absolutely someone will. But I feel that’s a very odd position to take when no one objected to the status quo of transparency with regards to specs. This is an issue/discourse that Symphonium are choosing to create. I’m sure they know that.
Other than knowing what is inside, how will it help in hearing? Does it make it sound better? What if its just a single DD? maybe dual DD?

Or is it more of like.. Ok there is a DD inside but hey it doesnt sound like a DD kinda situation? Or like there is a single BA but hey it sounds like a DD, "Good job Symphonium"?

Or just wanna know for the sake of knowing?

Sep 29, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #205 of 445
I suppose it depends on the purchasing process.

If one has access to hearing the IEM then it’s natural to listen to it, like the sound and then purchase it. This was what happened in my case. I auditioned the Crimson and love it on first listen. It reminded me of the MEST II with sweeter treble. I bought it without bothering what is inside the shell.

But many here also do not have such access. They can only rely on information and data as well as feedback/reviews to buy blind. For this group of customers transparency is invaluable in a subjective hobby such as ours.

If the information is insufficient to make a decision it’s only natural to move on. At the same time there is no need for FOMO. It’s not a limited edition.

Sep 29, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #206 of 445
I suppose it depends on the purchasing process.

If one has access to hearing the IEM then it’s natural to listen to it, like the sound and then purchase it. This was what happened in my case. I auditioned the Crimson and love it on first listen. It reminded me of the MEST II with sweeter treble. I bought it without bothering what is inside the shell.

But many here also do not have such access. They can only rely on information and data as well as feedback/reviews to buy blind. For this group of customers transparency is invaluable in a subjective hobby such as ours.

If the information is insufficient to make a decision it’s only natural to move on. At the same time there is no need for FOMO. It’s not a limited edition.
Totally agree with you.

Sep 29, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #208 of 445
Some people are getting a bit heated over something that is relatively speaking a non issue. The driver count is somewhat erroneous but in this age of outrage people look for offense when none was intended, seek to infer insult when none was issued and generally speaking don't ask for clarity prior to unleashing. I have heard crappy sounding IEMs with hybrid, tribrid and single DD and I heard lovely sounding ones with the same tech. Same goes for speakers, some single drivers sound great, some don't and some multi driver behemoths sound awesome and some sound like a cat turd.

that aside enjoying a fantastic Southern Spain morning while jamming out to the Dead with my Crimson. Ohh the bass, never heard it so well defined.

Interested in hearing others thoughts that now have these in their hands as well as CanJam SoCal attendees that have a chance to audition them. I am somewhat irritated with myself for not listening to the Nightjar IEM at London. It may have been a great counterpoint to the Crimson.

Sep 29, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #209 of 445
People seem to have their panties in a bunch over the driver config and it's interesting to watch. I have demoed hundereds of IEMs and I feel like guessing the driver config is borderline impossible for me. Some of the best bass I have heard is in a BA while the best mids from single DD. I feel like I know what's good when I listen to it. However, I don't love the approach of buying something without knowing what's in it. I feel like I understand the gripe.

Maybe a fun little game to play would be instead of it being secret would be to let owners of the IEM guess the driver config from like 5-10 multiple choice answers and guessing the correct answer gives you like 10% off a cable purchase. I feel like it would have to be limited time offer so it's not given away and then a free discount code, but I think this might help Symphonium prove it's point, while also making it more of a game and less "secrets"

I'm just spitballing. I really enjoyed my time with Crimson and I still love Meteor and Helios.

Sep 29, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #210 of 445
While I get the idea of disproving any preconceived notions of driver configurations and the effect that has on the resulting sound, I do agree that it could have been done a little better. Like others, I was expecting the driver configurations to be released some time during or after the launch edition sale. I could see how not providing this information could leave a sour taste in ones' mouth.

However, I feel like people have leapt to conclusions, and that some unjustified criticisms have been said in this thread. Only so much information can be gleaned from looking at numbers and graphs, the best way to decide if one likes an IEM is through firsthand experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back