Sylvania 5751 models?
Jan 26, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #61 of 86
So I've recently compared my Sylvania Triple Mica Black Plate tube to my Sylvania Triple Mica Gray Plate tube and found that the black plate had deeper bass with a slightly warmer sound, but the grey plate had a wider sound stage with a more neutral sound and the micro details seemed a little more noticeable.

Overall, both are very nice, but I preferred the grey plate (not by much, but enough to order a back-up grey plate).

After some listening again with the Sovtek, I used my K701s (now sold) and I found that it was pretty good at making this somewhat cold can a little warmer than all of my other tubes. But with my current three (see my signature below), I prefer the Sylvanias, then the Mullard, and finally the Sovteks.

I plan on keeping the Sovtek tube in case I do pick up a new can that I would like to add a little warmth too.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #62 of 86
I have NOS in Sylvania 5751 gold pin and used them for years. The grey plate tend to not get noisy like the black plate. The JAN were pulled from the same runs that made the civilian tubes. I have many varieties of NOS 5751's (they used to sell for around 5 dollars or less) and I still like the Sylvania grey plate gold pin the best. I also have NOS in the earliest known 12AX7, the RCA from 1949. These are a very nice black plate with an open dynamic sound.

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #63 of 86
Right now using my Tung Sol 5751, worlds better than the Sylvania (yellow text)! Using Computer>Zero DAC>Ear+ HD>ALO-780. The sylvania hissed too, such a shame. I find the Tung Sol to me more engaging, in your face, less bass, more treble. With metallica, the guitars sounds very, very nice! Drums have much more impact but are presented less in the music (IMO) as I find that the tung sol has less bass, which would probably be the cause of this. Metallica is about guitars, not drums though
biggrin.gif
Very, very happy with this tube!

Jan 28, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #64 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now using my Tung Sol 5751, worlds better than the Sylvania (yellow text)! Using Computer>Zero DAC>Ear+ HD>ALO-780. The sylvania hissed too, such a shame. I find the Tung Sol to me more engaging, in your face, less bass, more treble. With metallica, the guitars sounds very, very nice! Drums have much more impact but are presented less in the music (IMO) as I find that the tung sol has less bass, which would probably be the cause of this. Metallica is about guitars, not drums though
biggrin.gif
Very, very happy with this tube!

I get absolutely zero hiss with any of my 5751 Sylvania tubes! Even with my 25 ohm AH-D7000s.

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #66 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here no hiss on any of the Sylvania tubes I have, the Yellow label JAN's don't sound as the good as the GB's and the prices reflect that.

I owned the JAN Sylvania's and sold them to someone who was looking for a guitar amp and didn't care about the hiss with headphones...or the sizzle on the treble.

I think I'll give the Tung Sol a try, but I highly recommend either the Grey (preferred) or Black Plate Triple Mica Sylvania 5751s for you to give them a try.

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #67 of 86
Hmm, I have weird ears! Now I am loving the Sylvania. I just cannot say which tube i love yet. BTW, the Sylvania hisses but if I turn the volume up with no music playing, the hiss stays at the same volume level. It has yellow text, 3 mica black plate. Any idea how much these sell for? Seems to have a smaller soundstage but getting quite fun to listen to, pretty warm too (don't quote me on that, I change my mind quickly).

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #68 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, I have weird ears! Now I am loving the Sylvania. I just cannot say which tube i love yet. BTW, the Sylvania hisses but if I turn the volume up with no music playing, the hiss stays at the same volume level. It has yellow text, 3 mica black plate. Any idea how much these sell for? Seems to have a smaller soundstage but getting quite fun to listen to, pretty warm too (don't quote me on that, I change my mind quickly).

Owning both the black and grey plate triple mica tubes, I find the grey plates have better sound staging.

Feb 7, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #69 of 86
Just spotted this ones on ebay.

How are these worth (sound-wise) like the golden pin or JHS ones?

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #70 of 86
Those are nice tubes IMO - triple-mice, black-plate. Good stuff. But that's not a cheap price.

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #71 of 86
Thanks skylab, i was bitten by the tube bug and i really feel like looking for all the established good 5751's to try myself on my Ear+HD.

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #72 of 86
Those seem to be the exact same as the one I have
biggrin.gif
Hisses though with my MAD Ear+ HD and ALO-780
frown.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #73 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks skylab, i was bitten by the tube bug and i really feel like looking for all the established good 5751's to try myself on my Ear+HD.

If you really want a tough one to find, but a great one, try scoring a pair of the Hytron JAN-CHY triple-mica 5751's - those are a rare bird indeed, but among my faves.

Apr 3, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #74 of 86
After much searching for Raytheon WMG, Raytheon 3 mica black plate, and Tung Sol 5751s I found and bought them from a really good source. The prices are very reasonable for these rare tubes and the packaging and labeling are superb. If anyone is interested in these tubes or the many other types they sell here's the link:

Nos Tube Store: ECC83/12AX7/5751/CV4004/M8137/CV8156

The owner told me that they have many tubes that aren't yet listed. All you have to do is contact him and ask. Very good company to deal with and excellent customer service.

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #75 of 86
Thanks for the link dongringo, if i'm not impressed with the sylvanias i'm waiting i'll be establishing my stock with a few more Raytheons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back