Sylvania 5751 models?
Mar 11, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #46 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. You should be able to eventually score a single Sylvania 5751 for $30 or less.

But also, while I like the Sylvania best of the 5751, don't get your expectations up too much - it isn't THAT much better than the GE 5-Star.

I found the Sylvania 5751 to be a noticeable improvement over the GE 5 star in pretty much all aspects, but not an "OMG-YOU-NEED-TO-HAVE-IT" improvement. What do you think Skylab?

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #47 of 86
I think that is very well put.

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #48 of 86
Tubes are made to specs to be a 5751 etc. Ok, I know you all know this but even with that they perform a little different. In building my own equipment I could change bias, plate voltage and a number of factors. With that in mind, I would agree that the Sylvania 5751 sounds the best, to my ears. That is the Gold Pin grey plate. I find the black plate can go noisy and to my ear, the grey plate is smoother in the frequency range from top to bottom. I have 12AX7's going back to the first RCA from 1949 in NOS and while they are really nice and a treat, as they are rare, the 5751 is still my favorite.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #49 of 86
I've stumbled across Sylvania 5751 Gold/Yellow lettering - $75 for 3, Grey plates, halo getter; guess I could pick the best and sell the others?

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #50 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulyT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, I knew that much, just wasn't sure if they had the same sound.

I just e-mailed Paul Lindemann (whose name came up a few times in the pinned tube sales thread, he's very helpful), and here's what he said about the JAN (quoting directly):

"The Jan Sylvanias with green lettering are late 1970 and early to mid 1980 tubes that are kinda screamers on the high end...if your top end needs massive sizzle - this is a good tube. If your system is balanced, this tube will sound like fingernails on a chalkboard. Very different tubes...made quite porrly as the semi conductor industry was looming and tubes were on there way out...so massive cost control was instituted in the early 1970s. Of course, you can pick up a pair of these for around $20."

So, sounds like the JAN are not the way to go.

BTW, if anyone has any Gold Brand / JHS to sell, now would be a good time to speak up! (or PM me)
wink.gif
Skylab has said he prefers the black plate version, but I'm having a very hard time finding those for sale anywhere, at least for a non-exorbitant price. The greys are a little easier to find, but still pricey.

I would recommend the following 5751s:

JAN Philips...really good
Sovetek
or even a Mullard 12AX7

Here is a helpful link:

12AX7 Tube Type Review

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #51 of 86
IMO, any Sylvania 5751 will sound much, much better than any of the Russian/Re-issue tubes, and are also better than the JAN Philips. The JAN Philips are pretty good, and easy to get, and better than any of the Russiam/Re-issues, but not as good as any of the Sylvania 5751's (or the RCA's, or the GE 5-stars...)

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #52 of 86
Quote:

IMO, any Sylvania 5751 will sound much, much better than any of the Russian/Re-issue tubes, and are also better than the JAN Philips. The JAN Philips are pretty good, and easy to get, and better than any of the Russiam/Re-issues, but not as good as any of the Sylvania 5751's (or the RCA's, or the GE 5-stars...)

To my ears the Mullard and JAN Philips are the best I've heard (including the Sylvania) and the Sovetek's are a close second with the Sylvania...

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #53 of 86
The REAL (not re-issue) Mullard are very good indeed.

But hey, we all hear things differently...

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #54 of 86
Quote:

The REAL (not re-issue) Mullard are very good indeed.

But hey, we all hear things differently...

Absolutely...that's why one should try them out for themselves.

Cheers!

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #55 of 86
And tube rolling is FUN
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #56 of 86
Quote:

And tube rolling is FUN
biggrin.gif

And relatively cheap in the audiophile world!

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #59 of 86
I liked the TechTube a lot, but with Blackburn MicroTech having filed for bankruptcy, I am not sure it will be a good idea to buy them, and they were just as expensive as nice 5751's (and not quite as good IMO).

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #60 of 86
I checked out MicroTech, but the tubes are expensive and even ship via UPS in the UK (my least favourite carrier) which also bumps up the price; shame as I'd like to try them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back