Sylvania 5751 models?
Mar 7, 2009 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 86

PaulyT

100+ Head-Fier
Hi! In my quest for tubes for my Audiotailor Jade, I'm looking for a Sylvania 5751. Right now I'm just trying to understand the distinctions (or equivalences) between the different models of this specific tube+manufacturer. And yes I've read "Joe's Tube Lore" which goes into some of this.

Seems there are at least four different categories here, some of which may actually be the same:

1) Gold Brand, black plate
2) Gold Brand, grey plate
3) JHS (yellow lettering), apparently grey or black plate?
4) JAN (green lettering) (see ebay item #300298780107)
5) "generic" black plate (yellow lettering) (see ebay item #180332863389)

Ok, so Joe says that JHS is the same as Gold Brand. What about JAN though? Some ebay sites say they are just a newer (70's) version of Gold Brand (50's and 60's). Is that right? In terms of sound, would the JAN be equivalent to an (older) Gold Brand?

What about #5? Looking at the ebay page, it's got black plates and yellow lettering, but neither the box nor the stamp say Gold Brand, does that mean it's an inferior product? Are all Gold Brand explicitly labeled on the tube as such? Or is anything with a yellow label on the tube a Gold Brand?

Thanks for any info!

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulyT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi! In my quest for tubes for my Audiotailor Jade, I'm looking for a Sylvania 5751. Right now I'm just trying to understand the distinctions (or equivalences) between the different models of this specific tube+manufacturer. And yes I've read "Joe's Tube Lore" which goes into some of this.

Seems there are at least four different categories here, some of which may actually be the same:

1) Gold Brand, black plate
2) Gold Brand, grey plate
3) JHS (yellow lettering), apparently grey or black plate?
4) JAN (green lettering) (see ebay item #300298780107)
5) "generic" black plate (yellow lettering) (see ebay item #180332863389)

Ok, so Joe says that JHS is the same as Gold Brand. What about JAN though? Some ebay sites say they are just a newer (70's) version of Gold Brand (50's and 60's). Is that right? In terms of sound, would the JAN be equivalent to an (older) Gold Brand?

What about #5? Looking at the ebay page, it's got black plates and yellow lettering, but neither the box nor the stamp say Gold Brand, does that mean it's an inferior product? Are all Gold Brand explicitly labeled on the tube as such? Or is anything with a yellow label on the tube a Gold Brand?

Thanks for any info!

You do know that JAN is Joint Army Navy or military version. They are usually more rugged for extreme conditions.

I'm currently learning about the 5751s as well for a 12ax7 replacement.

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do know that JAN is Joint Army Navy or military version. They are usually more rugged for extreme conditions.

Right, I knew that much, just wasn't sure if they had the same sound.

I just e-mailed Paul Lindemann (whose name came up a few times in the pinned tube sales thread, he's very helpful), and here's what he said about the JAN (quoting directly):

"The Jan Sylvanias with green lettering are late 1970 and early to mid 1980 tubes that are kinda screamers on the high end...if your top end needs massive sizzle - this is a good tube. If your system is balanced, this tube will sound like fingernails on a chalkboard. Very different tubes...made quite porrly as the semi conductor industry was looming and tubes were on there way out...so massive cost control was instituted in the early 1970s. Of course, you can pick up a pair of these for around $20."

So, sounds like the JAN are not the way to go.

BTW, if anyone has any Gold Brand / JHS to sell, now would be a good time to speak up! (or PM me)
wink.gif
Skylab has said he prefers the black plate version, but I'm having a very hard time finding those for sale anywhere, at least for a non-exorbitant price. The greys are a little easier to find, but still pricey.

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 86
Pls stick with the BlackPlate JHS for Sylvania. The hardest to find IMO are the ones where the pins are Gold Plated, otherwise you have to rely on yellow printing. Remember it's a matter of taste whether to choose these......or Raytheon 5751/windmills. Last year I was able to buy a total of 4 of these in the area of $30 each.....but, that was last year. Mostly you now find them @ $50 ea or more. ..........Sylvania JHS Blackplate Gold(or Yellow print) are a little warmer (SQ) and now a bit rarer and even more $. Other choices, at least IMO - are a clear step down.

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pls stick with the BlackPlate JHS for Sylvania. The hardest to find IMO are the ones where the pins are Gold Plated, otherwise you have to rely on yellow printing. Remember it's a matter of taste whether to choose these......or Raytheon 5751/windmills. Last year I was able to buy a total of 4 of these in the area of $30 each.....but, that was last year. Mostly you now find them @ $50 ea or more. ..........Sylvania JHS Blackplate Gold(or Yellow print) are a little warmer (SQ) and now a bit rarer and even more $. Other choices, at least IMO - are a clear step down.

Ok, I'm actively looking for the black plated 5751's (GB or JHS), but I'm new to tubes so not sure where best places to look are. Any ideas? I've sent e-mails to a variety of folks online, but the blacks are harder to find than the greys, in my search over the past few days.

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #6 of 86
You just have to poke around.

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 86
Thanks, but that doesn't help much.
wink.gif
I've been googling for days, have sent inquiries to several dozen online dealers, little response yet (except negative). I'll keep digging...

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 86
Sorry for being cryptic - what I really meant is that you need to be patient. You are right in that they are not plentiful or constantly available, but they do turn up.

In the meantime, score a GE 5-star 5751. These are also quite good and can be found easily.

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 86
It's too bad certain 5751's have attained such notoriety (I blame Joe's Tube Lore) and now have become overpriced IMO.

Yes, 5751's are great (I've tried most including Sylv TM BP), but the *REAL* killer deals in 5751/12AX7 are the wonderful 12AX7A's that have not been so hyped up yet. For example, get yourself some Sylvania 7025 (12AX7A) or Raytheon 12AX7A and prepare to be amazed
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #13 of 86
I did a quick check on the Sylvania 7025 (12AX7A) and Raytheon 12AX7A, seems to be some out there but not much cheaper (at least not on ebay, not that that's necessarily the best indicator, I know). Yes, I'm guessing the "Joe's tube lore" has made it a lot harder to find the Sylvanias, though that was written 10 years ago.

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #14 of 86
I just tried out a Raytheon 5751 and Sylvania 5751(black plate/yellow lettering) on the Jade. They sound VERY nice.

In contrast to the GE 5 Star 5751, the Raytheon extends more on both ends, have more air, and the soundstage also widens considerably especially depth.

As for the comparison between Raytheon and the Sylvania, based on first impression, I like the Raytheon more although the Sylvania's midrange is lusher, I find the soundstage on the Raytheon more holographic.

These are all based on my first impression (10mins or so) of the Raytheon and Sylvania. I'm using GEC 6AS7G as power tube and W5000 as headphone if that helps.

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #15 of 86
Cryoset Online Store

Good price for a matched pair of JAN Sylvania 5751's. Not the best year for these '74....I'd recommend you look for late 50's RCA Triple mica black plates (5751's) for the best version of these. I have a few pairs and love them. At 80US a pair or more they aren't cheap.

Some good finds are Electrohome/Rogers 12AX7A, off brands, that are really Amperex and Mullard (BB sometimes). 5751's from the 50's and 60's are getting a little hard to find but not impossible.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back