Sydney Mini Meet 06.03.10 Impressions
Mar 8, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #46 of 58
done, that should be easy enough

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #47 of 58
Aw..thanks for the invite guys!
I've been so preoccupied with the joys of full time work, havent logged in ages. Looks like a fun day! I think I need some HD800s! Too bad they wont work with my melos

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #48 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aw..thanks for the invite guys!\

Sorry dude, the 4 of us pretty much filled my place to capacity - I don't have a very large apartment
frown.gif

We should all start pestering John to hurry up and organise the next big meet
tongue.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PM qusp, Eric.

In an uncharacteristic show of patriotism: x2!

Seriously, qusp's work is exceptional.

Mar 9, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #50 of 58
Btw, I spent some time comparing the Pico Vs the Y2 tonight, roughly volume matching them (one step of the attenuator up for the Y2 and one down for the Pico brought them as close to the same volume as I could tell by ear).

As far as I'm able to determine, they sound exactly the same. For a moment with the drums in the intro of Dorset Perception I thought I detected a marginal increase in cleanliness/impact on the Y2, but that could easily boil down to either my imagination or the different interconnects being used (qusp's UPOCC were on the Y2, while one of my spare OFC cables was hooked up to the Pico).

But even if the difference originated at the dac, it was so minor as to be negligible. So think of the Y2 as a Pico with more features
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #51 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I definitely concur on that and agree with all other observers that this was one mini-meet and a half.

Can understand space limiting any invites for the rest of us Sydneysiders. Glad you all had such a great time.

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #52 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OH, and by the way, why does John's Vortex look so much neater than mine? I got jipped! It's because I'm black, isn't it?
tongue.gif

Don’t feel too bad I’ve see one floating around with a very nice y splitter that mine doesn’t sport, random updates from the guy up north, depends what day it is
tongue.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #53 of 58
Thanks for the impressions Jason!
You may want to place those impressions in the gamma2 impressions thread... I can't remember which forum it's in thou.

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #54 of 58
Covenant posted:-
I got jipped! It's because I'm black, isn't it? .

No, Jason You just have a better suntan than the rest of us whiteys.

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #55 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In an uncharacteristic show of patriotism: x2!

Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I definitely concur on that and agree with all other observers that this was one mini-meet and a half.

Can understand space limiting any invites for the rest of us Sydneysiders. Glad you all had such a great time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don’t feel too bad I’ve see one floating around with a very nice y splitter that mine doesn’t sport, random updates from the guy up north, depends what day it is
tongue.gif

geeze, thanks guys,
redface.gif
the Y splitter is a subject of controversy, Jason didnt like that Y splitter because you could see inside it to the glue inside if you peered down down at your navel, so I generally provide the choice of which one, but since yours was a surprise attack it was as you say, just what I felt like on the day. It could also be thrown back at the fickle consumer than is head-fi ;D i'm working on my own custom Y split mold too, a smaller one with much simpler lines than the qables one, that is molded onto the finished cable, no holes, no seams. wating to hear the silver lining version myself, only made them for OS, will be doing the SCSCAg silver one for a set of L3000 from adelaide next week, should work well

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #56 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jason didnt like that Y splitter because you could see inside it to the glue inside if you peered down down at your navel

John's heatshrink Y split was a work of art, though. At the same sort of level as the APS V3 Y split, which is the best I've seen.

The Viablue aluminium Y splits look awesome as well, but I'm not sure how functional/practical they are. The Qables Y split just looks cheap and tacky to me in comparison.

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #57 of 58
grass is always greener o the other side huh?
biggrin.gif

dont like the viablue much, its massive, only suits those massive racing harness type cables. I keep the qables in stock, but i'm pretty much in agreement with you, not the sleekest design getting around. thought about getting some made in a short run with stereo lithography down at RMIT in melbourne from a CAD model, but I would have to get too many done to make it worth while. the one I make here should work well, but always got the shrink one to fall back on, very practical and light too.

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #58 of 58
Once you've seen the mini-moulds that qusp uses on his ipod LODs then you won't go back to a retrofitted standard dock from qables.
The y split should be win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back