Sydney Mini Meet 06.03.10 Impressions
Mar 7, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #18 of 58
Covenant posted:-
I've got Tom's Y2 at home with me at the moment as well to get more of a feel for the differences between the Y2 and Pico. .

I await another insightful comparo......................

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #20 of 58
Indeed!
I think little ones like this work really well.

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #21 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Luckily for my wallet I came to my senses and only film capped the amp stage... =P

your wallet did what??

Quote:

Qusp there’s a typo in your sig! hehe....

hmmmm, you can talk
biggrin.gif
mister typographer, trust you to pick that out, anyhoo it needs some serious updating with the nutso stuff i've been up to
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Jason for the great venue and Eric for beginning along his very new T1’s.
It was great to meet up with you sicko’s again, it’s always refreshing to find out there are people as insane as myself, possibly worse (Tom).

personally I feel hes gone soft, not nearly as encourage-able as normal. i'm having to spend for the both of us. check new sig, gonna have to move it all to the profile, getting a bit insane with all the builds i'm in the middle of, you can call me SMD man

Quote:

The highlight for me was seeing Tom’s β22 and Sabre32 rig in the flesh, the level of workmanship and attention to detail is outstanding, the Context Engineering enclosures are really something else.

sure is pretty!! and I looove the display. very keen to check it out when I come down next

Quote:

The T1’s sounded promising at a very casual first listen, nearly fresh out of the box, single ended and with amps not in the same class as the balanced β22’s it held it’s own. Congrats Eric, I can’t wait till we get another opportunity with a balanced cable to rule out so many variables that were present today.

it must be promising, every one of you guys has made excuses for it
wink.gif
i'll have some here soon for a job, so may hear a balanced T1 before you guys

Quote:

Thanks guys for a great impromptu meet!

well the stuff in the sig will be finished within the next 2-3 months, hopefully you guys have another meet not too far away, very interested to see the sound that comes out of the QRV08, I think its going to be pretty impressive considering its made from millions of little 10c parts. thats provided I can make sense of it all without falling into some sort of autistic trance, there muct be 2000 parts in this build, the order i'm making at elfa at the moment for that among other things has over 2000-2500 items
eek.gif
my sometimes lackluster organizational skills are going to be stretched to breaking point. the 8 onboard super regulators (just for the headamp/preamp section) is over the top enough without the extra 8-10 that will be in the ackodac. about time we had some truly hgh end dac designs coming out of australia, I might be able to convince the designer to come along, reckon I might be able to organize a set of PCBs to raffle off if we are lucky; along with some extras of my own

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #23 of 58
errm there was only 4 people there; throw a random pie at the room and you would be pretty likely to hit someone who built a B32.

edit: ooops sorry I misread you, the double stack at the far end with the balanced HD800 is John's and the very slick looking triple stack is Tom's (Nattonrice)
hehe they are owned by johnwmcLean and Nattonrice

Mar 7, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #24 of 58
Hehe the guy that built his stack to a sensible size is John.
The idiot who has three gigantic cases stacked up is me =P

There was 4 people btw.
I'm not in any of the photos 'cause I was the one taking them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
personally I feel hes gone soft, not nearly as encourage-able as normal. i'm having to spend for the both of us.

Bahaha just you wait... =D
I will soon have more money to drop on random crap~

Mar 7, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #25 of 58
AckoDac Sabre ESS9012 DAC with Dual mono (bridged) QRV08/buffered transformer coupled output stage
^^(16+ super regulators in total)

hehehe, joy! This takes the prize, how long away is this madness? We have to tee up a meet when the moon sun and planets are totally aligned, and our builds are completed, and of course when you can get time and flight down.

Mar 7, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #26 of 58
Sweet looking rigs you guys had there. Two β22s, Sabre32, T1, HD800, ...
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #29 of 58
Hehe yeah but don't feel too left out... I have three things on my desk all uncased and all in different levels of semi-operation.
I kinda finished the b22 and then slacked off lolz.

What have you been building recently?

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #30 of 58
I'm currently building an Opus DAC which will (eventually) have an LCD display, digital volume control and maybe some analog inputs in the box to act as a pre-amp. I'll be getting my feet wet with an Arduino for that.
Currently having technical problems with the actual DAC module which I'll hopefully sort out soon.

My chipamp is still half cased and the modded Jaycar is yet to see a nice new case. I'm planning to case all three the same and at the same time. I was thinking of wood with aluminium panels, but now I'm thinking all aluminium cases might be better.

I've also cannibalised my eeepc and mounted it in a photo frame (with minimal damage along the way
tongue.gif
). It'll be used as a touchscreen media player and digital photo frame when it's on and not playing music.

Maybe some of that will be done for the next meet.
What else have you got on the go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back