Swimming before I could walk
Dec 26, 2017 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

theminstrel

New Head-Fier
Hi Head Fi-ers
I'm a relatively recent convert to the high-fidelity creed
I've just ordered the JDS Labs O2+ODAC using some money gifted to me on Christmas, to use with my computer.
I know they'll drive all of my phones well & are considered a great buy for the money
The trouble is, I've never ordered an external DAC or headphone amp before, & I don't know what to expect. I have never heard a desktop headphone AMP or DAC
The only thing I can reasonably compare it to would be the Balanced out on my Onkyo DP-X1 on a 2nd narrowest lock range setting, which I find fantastic in every way & especially in terms of resolution, a wide & deep sound stage, & fairly natural tonality. I would be happy to merely see such quality replicated with a more powerful AMP by the JDS Objective Combo. Yes, dear reader, I purchased a high end DAP & balanced cables before even considering a single ended desktop set-up.
So I suppose, I am asking, will the level of detail, separation & clarity be comparable, or would it be more like the Single ended output (which is in itself great but would be fairly disappointing for a dedicated device)? Does 1 Desktop DAC chip equal or surpass the Onkyo double DAC configuration? I would have thought that, for the circa £250 an audio experience would surpass a whole touchscreen Android device that now retails at £450 online.
Perhaps someone with experience of both good Portable & Desktop DACs & Amps could provide reassurance?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back