Sushi-fi?
Jun 27, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #31 of 73
no that's powerbait foo
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #32 of 73
If you are ever in the Orange County area I highly recommend checking out the Yamabuki at Downtown Disney. It was a little hard to find as it is hidden in one of the nearby hotels there and not on the downtown strip. The chef who prepared my sushi barely spoke english, but he was fun to talk with. (I don't speak any Japanese)

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #33 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Easily one of the funniest terms for soy sauce I've ever come across.

Edit: okay, it's the funniest.

The black juice is sauce you need to put on top of the Sushi? Then what are you supposed to drink?

This is what I do. I take a wooden stick and poke through the rice, with the other stick I take some of the green butter. Then I put them into my mouth. Then I slurp some of the black juice.

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #35 of 73
Patrick, that looks yummy!

I like salmon, toro, A5 wagyu sushi/sashimi. I also like the small sweet-tasting shrimp, abalone, foie gras (bit of fusion
biggrin.gif
), octopus, geoduck, roast eel, soft-shell crab, etc...

Puffer fish intrigues me, but I have never had the opportunity to have it. How much does a portion typically cost? Do you usually have it at the very beginning or at the very end? Does the numb sensation affect taste? I think I'll stick to high grade A4-A5 Kobe
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #36 of 73
Tsukiji Fish Market has just opened a location here where I live about a month and half ago. Looks like I'm going to have to pay them a visit sometime soon. If I can only get there when it isn't crowded.

Jun 28, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #39 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tsukiji Fish Market has just opened a location here where I live about a month and half ago. Looks like I'm going to have to pay them a visit sometime soon. If I can only get there when it isn't crowded.

You live in Tokyo? Something isn't making sense for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsukiji_fish_market

Jun 28, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #41 of 73
I love me some Unagi and Hamachi Maki! Mmmmmm.

The trick to eating wasabi, if you are just eating it straight, is to place it near the back of your tongue. I have won many a bet doing that
biggrin.gif
! Your stomach will probably feel awful afterwards though...

I would say my favorite places to get Sushi around the Bay Area would be:

1) Masu Bistro in San Mateo (on 3rd, I believe). Pretty good quality sushi, but every day from 11am to 3pm it's all you can eat for $14! You just order two orders of sushi first, then one order every time you finish. It's great!

2) Ebisu in San Francisco. Probably the best quality sushi I've ever had, but I haven't been to very many places :/. The owner also opened up a place across the street with the exact same menu (I've forgotten the name of it, though).

3. Yoshi's Japanese and Jazz Club in Oakland's Jack London Sqaure. What better than to get a great sushi/japanese cuisine meal and then watch a live Jazz show?

Jun 28, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #42 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashnolan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are ever in the Orange County area I highly recommend checking out the Yamabuki at Downtown Disney. It was a little hard to find as it is hidden in one of the nearby hotels there and not on the downtown strip. The chef who prepared my sushi barely spoke english, but he was fun to talk with. (I don't speak any Japanese)

Are there any other places in the OC that you'd recomend?
I've been meaning to try a new sushi place in the lake forest/costa mesa area.

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #43 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recently they have started to farm fugu, as a result of a change in diet the level of poison has decreased.

I can confirm that in Japan sushi chefs are now required to have a special license to prepare fugu. The Fugu restaurant I visited does brisk business in just preparing the fugu so it can be used at home. The most prized weight being around 1 to 2 kg, with nearer to 2kg without going over the best. That's why you are stuck paying hundreds of dollars for a meal.

Now this person knows what they are talking about. While I wouldn't classify it as easy to prepare a fugu. From what I understand it is the nervous system of the fish that is posionous; a small cut in the wrong place will spill the posion over everything, so you would just end up throwing out expensive fish. Plus, forgetting about even one gland could kill someone. Preparing sushi in general takes a very steady hand.

However, it is absolutely correct that if the person really knows what they are talking about they will prepare some of the only slightly posionous parts of the fish. I was unprepared last time (read:shocked) for how much fugu skin the Master of the restuarant expected us to eat! Two types of skins served raw and in a stew (nabe). It really is a gross thing; not suited for the western pallet at all. The texture is just awful. (The taste wasn't too bad.) One has to remember how big a puffer-fish can get and the skin has to stretch, hence the skin is amazingly chewy. I had to switch to tea from beer because my stomach couldn't handle it. I make a note for the readers that I didn't feel anything from the posion in the skin.

The Fugu meat was better, but honestly there are better types of sushi out there. Worth the experience though; but if it was a non-posionous fugu at normal resturant I think it would be a complete waste of money. But I am pretty jaded now.

EXACTLY HOW I FELT!! you pay the price for the time and training of the chef
not for the great taste of the fish

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #44 of 73
I love sushi and I am actually capable of making it myself with shrimp and mock crab :p

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #45 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You live in Tokyo? Something isn't making sense for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsukiji_fish_market

No, I live in Hawaii but do have friends that currently live in Japan part time. Tsukiji fish market and restautrant has recently opened a location here. Bluefin tuna that's normally not prevalent in the warmer waters of the Pacific near Hawaii is flown in here from Tsukiji Japan. The Tsukiji here also flies in fresh fish that's available in Japan but not commonly found in other local fish markets here. There are also other fish markets here that sells fresh slabs of Bluefin tuna besides Tsukiji.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably some fish market that thought they would be smart and name their place Tsukiji
tongue.gif

Nope, the Tsukiji fish market here and the one Japan operate under the same umbrella.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back