Sushi-fi?
Jul 3, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #62 of 73
My favorite is salmon sushi. But I also eat white fish, yellowtail, albacore, white fish, the egg sushi, eel. And on occasion I will get some expensive stuff when my mom lets me. I usually dip my sushi in soy sauce mixed with quite a bit of wasabi. The place where I get my sushi is either A.Sango Sushi wich is in Aliso Viejo its a small family runned joint that is quite good. Or B.Yamato wich is a big place that has a tapain grill wich is this thing where you sit in a dim lit room and a guy comes out with the stuff you ordered and cook it on the thing you sit at. My Family loves doing it and I love getting the sushi so its a win win.

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #63 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get it while you can !

I just saw a clip about how tuna is becoming more and more scarce so they are trying to find substitutes to fill out the sushi menus. And they have turned to red meat no less. Horse and deer meat were mentioned in particular. It said that horsemeat sushi was already being served in some establishments in Japan as an extra special delicacy. Ewwwww.

I used to live with a Japanese girl who's mom used to make it all the time, and have eaten sushi in all sorts of restaurants, both expensive and not-so-expensive, but the best I've had was from a small order-through-a-window shop in Kyoto, Japan. In fact, everywhere I tried it in Japan was if not better than, at least the equal to the best, most expensive places I've tried in North America. Makes sense, sort of, I guess.

i used to live in Kumamoto-ken in japan and their prefectural delicacy is raw horse sashimi - basashi. i'm a vegetarian (except for seafood and bacon...yes, bacon!) so i never ate it, but my dad likes it and all my friends love it. many foreigners seem to like it as well, once they get past the idea that it's horse.

chicken sashimi is a favorite in kagoshima-ken...and they have these shops in tokyo that specialize in getamono, or bizarre foods...like frog heart sake, chicken balls, etc. now that's sashimi i probably won't get into...

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #64 of 73
Quote:

i'm a vegetarian (except for seafood and bacon...yes, bacon!)

I'm at a loss for words.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #65 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm at a loss for words.
smily_headphones1.gif

the musician lisa loeb had this short-run food show with dweezil zappa...in the intro they both introduce themselves and loeb says, "i'm most happy when i'm writing music and trying to find ways to incorporate bacon into my vegetarian diet." knew i loved that girl...

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #66 of 73
Sushi is great. I really love unagi? (eel) and the seaweed salads. I get this Tuna Yuki it is called, not every place makes it, but if you see it and like Tuna, order it! It is incredible, basically tuna, avacodos, cucumbers, and oranges with a delicious spicy/tangy sauce.

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #67 of 73
I had a bowl of sushi for dinner last night! Let me explain, it was a large patty of finely minced, raw o-toro on a bed of shredded up seaweed, spring onion, onion, carrot, etc... Underneath all that was the rice. Before that I had some soft-shelled crab and avocado sushi and before that was a bowl of Inaniwa udon with some thinly sliced, medium rare fatty beef. Yummy! Don't worry, I was sharing with my mom
biggrin.gif

I've had so much Japanese food these three weeks, especially beef! I think I've had Wagyu beef (once Australian A4, twice Kobe A5) at least once a week for the past three weeks
evil_smiley.gif
I absolutely love Japanese food (especially Wagyu beef and teppanyaki). After French and Italian (tied), Japanese food is my favourite. Chinese is a close third. Now I prefer udon over rice and my mom isn't happy about that.

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #68 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any other places in the OC that you'd recomend?
I've been meaning to try a new sushi place in the lake forest/costa mesa area.

TommySushi in Tustin @ Main and Newport Ave is highly recommended. It is a little hard to find. It is in a recessed corner of the plaza there. Well worth the trip.

Jul 21, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #69 of 73
Here is one of my several attempts to get into making perfect sashimi after reading this thread
cool.gif
. The best part of it is that for around $10 you can make a LOT of sashimi, the tuna costs $7/lb here and it yields a lot of cuts. For some reason the rice is way too hard and just isn't as airy as the ones you get in a sushi bar. The fish was great though.
biggrin.gif
T

Oh, I made:
Tuna sashimi (tasted like crap due to the rice)
California rolls (tasted like crap, it had no flavor whatsoever)
Spicy tuna roll (it was pretty good actually, the Sriracha sauce added a nice kick)

sushidz9.jpg

Jul 21, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #70 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tuna sashimi (tasted like crap due to the rice)

I think you're missing something in a definitional sense...

http://www.catalinaop.com if you really like making your own sushi. THE best uni. Period.

Jul 22, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #73 of 73
Btw, sushi rice is different than most other rice. You want short grain, polished rice, and you keep it at room temperature, mixed with some rice vinegar. Make sure to clean the rice very thoroughly before cooking, to remove excess starch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back