Survey Says: Zune over iPod
Nov 7, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #46 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Exactly, but what in MS's history makes you believe the Zune success will increase competition? You make it sound like two competitors is better than the one we have now, but there are currently many more than one choice. A MS success is likely (as many here and elsewhere have repeated) to be more a detriment to Creative, iRiver, iAudio, Sony, Samsung, Toshiba (after Zune 1st gen), SanDisk, Archos, etc. than Apple. If Zune succeeds (and as MS is already moving PlaysForSure, their "partner program," to the back burner, and making Zune player/store a complete closed system) your choices will likely shrink. While arguably MS gains should push Apple towards more innovation short term, lowering the numbers of competitors dramatically would likely have the opposite effect on the market as a whole long term.

The deal is those other companies have already lost. Apple holds an insane market share for the portable MP3 player market and it's companion software Itunes.

the Zune will probably not do well, this year, but Microsoft has proven (with the Xbox) that when it really wants to compete, it can (Xbox 360).

Honestly I know a lot of people hate Microsoft, and it's an old hatred, and a lot of people probably don't even know why, exactly, they dislike microsoft so much, especially now.

In the last several years Microsoft has pushed very hard to provide better, more competitive products. Meanwhile companies like Apple have actually slipped in quality. (My Ipod Nano 2g had a misaligned clickwheel and a few other problems with it, very shoddy quality, IMO.)

And the great thing about Microsoft is that they have the ability to keep throwing money into R&D until they can make the Zune a huge success. I'm sure that when they decided to undertake the Zune they knew it might take them 5 years or more to beat down Apple's market share, but they've got the staying power to do it, and I'm glad they are, because Apple is really losing it's touch in the quality and customer service department.

Think about it, if it were Microsoft trying to peddle software like Itunes and making it's portable MP3 player work ONLY with THEIR software, they'd be hauled into court for attempting to monopolize the market, Yet Apple's done it and gotten away with it quite nicely so far and no one has even made a peep about the possibility of the idea of bringing apple into court over it's monopoly of the mp3 player market, and this has caused Microsoft not only to straighten up, but sharpen up as well.

I'd still use the Mac O.S. over Windows, hehe, and I'm not particularly fond of Microsoft, but I don't despise them like I used to, and honestly, Internet Explorer 7.0 loads way faster than Firefox does for me, and for some reason the new firefox does some weird crap with my keyboard mapping when it's been opened too long (it also has some memory leaks.) I don't have these problems in IE 7, so Microsoft must be doing something right. heh. Quite frankly Apple has made another mistake by refusing to release their OS for the PC market. Microsoft is making a killing from Mac users buying Windows XP to run on their new Intel based Mac's to play games and run other software they cannot run on OS X.

Another problem Apple has is that it's programmers for Itunes on the Windows XP platform suck. The Mac's version of Itunes runs just about perfectly with none of the problems that PC users are faced with. And quite frankly I hate apple just for it's non-descriptive updates. Oh I just loved the 1.01 firmware update for my nano. The update file said "Bug Fixes" lol. Can anyone be more vague then that? I laughed for about 10 minutes over that. Even the games I buy offer better patch notes and updates then that. lol. It's like they're afraid to admit what they fixed in case they didn't fix it right. hehe.

Apple is definitely showing the Chinks in it's armor as of late, the only thing they've got going for them is that Apple users are less likely to admit that the Apple brand is having it's fair share of problems too, and the perception that the general public has of apple is usually of cool products and a company that does everything right. And perception can be a hard thing to overcome without a better product and millions of dollars in marketing power.

Of course, you can't tell a die hard apple user anything of what I said, or they'll call for Steve Jobs to strike you down with lightning from his cloud up in heaven. hehe. I mean, I'm the first to admit that Steve Jobs is a genius, but the man really needs to turn his attention back to better customer service and better quality, because he's slipping, IMO.

Nov 7, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #47 of 83
Jokieman says:
Quote:

The deal is those other companies have already lost ...

I won't argue with your criticism of Apple. I think your praise of Mr. Soft is a bit over the top. The benevolent MicroSoft, that is a new one!

As you noted, iTunes runs rather smoothly on a Mac. I have never used a Windows based iTunes, but have heard too many bad report to believe otherwise. I do not know why it is so hard to get iTunes to run on a Windows machine.

Nov 7, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #48 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jokieman
Think about it, if it were Microsoft trying to peddle software like Itunes and making it's portable MP3 player work ONLY with THEIR software, they'd be hauled into court for attempting to monopolize the market, Yet Apple's done it and gotten away with it quite nicely so far and no one has even made a peep about the possibility of the idea of bringing apple into court over it's monopoly of the mp3 player market

The French did, or tried at least.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
As you noted, iTunes runs rather smoothly on a Mac. I have never used a Windows based iTunes, but have heard too many bad report to believe otherwise. I do not know why it is so hard to get iTunes to run on a Windows machine.

If they did that then why would the average joe want to buy a mac?

Nov 7, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #50 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jokieman
Think about it, if it were Microsoft trying to peddle software like Itunes and making it's portable MP3 player work ONLY with THEIR software, they'd be hauled into court for attempting to monopolize the market, Yet Apple's done it and gotten away with it quite nicely so far and no one has even made a peep about the possibility of the idea of bringing apple into court over it's monopoly of the mp3 player market, and this has caused Microsoft not only to straighten up, but sharpen up as well.

The comparison on the surface seems true, but not so much if thought out. iTunes sells mostly music. Music is available and in fact still selling primarily on a format not requiring a computer, or a specific OS, or a specific software app or a specific DAP. iTunes & the iPod doesn't stop anyone from hearing the latest awful Fergie track. This could all change as online sales overtake CDs across the market and as iTunes sell more exclusive, especially video, content. So good to be concerned, but we're not there yet. That's the furthest reaching senerio. If you're just talking about a software app that works with a hardware appliance, companies do that all the time. Comparing either to MS past actions with third parties or even their OS ecosystem is wrong. Real's lawsuit for instance wasn't because WMP didn't play RealAudio.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsansite

I don't think iTunes is what sells the majority of Macs, but why sell the iPod to PC users then?

Nov 7, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #51 of 83
gsansite says:
Quote:

I believe more iPods and iTunes are sold to Window than Mac owners!

If all you Window owners bought Macs, they would have nothing to whine about.
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #52 of 83
Third edit after reading both replies.

The iPod and iTunes have strengthened the Apple brand name, more people try Apple products, the easiest application for most people to compare is iTunes, iTunes runs much better on Apple, people buy a Macbook.

(Of course I'm not really suggesting it's this simple, but you can't deny that the success of the iPod and iTunes have helped bolster sales of Apple's other hardware.)

Nov 7, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #53 of 83
gsansite says:
Quote:

I'd take an educated guess that the success of the iPod and iTunes are directly responsible for the increased sales of Macs.

Not as much as you would think and Apple would have liked.

It seems the increase in market share (it still around 5% or so) is due more to the new Intell chip sets.

The "iPod Effect" was more hype than reality.

EDIT ON EDIT:
Quote:

[C]an't deny that the success of the iPod and iTunes have helped bolster sales

I won't deny it created a buzz, but I don't think it sold that many more computers. As noted, it is the Intel chip that seems to be bringing "switches" to Apple.

Nov 7, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #55 of 83
Quote:

Not in my experience.

Well, I suggest we trust statics over personal experiences. That said marketshare stats are also in question. I think until we have proof to indicate otherwise, we shouldn't assume the iPods/iTunes combo is significantly influencing Mac sales. Also not sure why iTunes is likely to be used for the different OS experience testing prior to purchasing.

Here's a question for you all. Will the MS Zune (based on MS history) or Trekstor vibez (based on Sigmatel/Rio history) cast a larger shadow on this forum (not gen public) over the next three months?

Nov 7, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #56 of 83
Quote:

Well, I suggest we trust statics over personal experiences.

I would suggest quite the opposite. Statistics can be shaped to fit any argument and I have read many reports which also support my beliefs (based on said same statistics), I would much rather take personal experience as the basis for my beliefs.

Quote:

Also not sure why iTunes is likely to be used for the different OS experience testing prior to purchasing.

Because it's an application always found on Mac's that an iPod user would be familiar with.

I'm not sure why we're really debating this, as pds6 knows, I am also a mac owner and have no grudge to bear. Whether or not you believe it's been successful, Apple have certainly tried to use iTunes/iPod to increase their Mac sales.

Nov 7, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #57 of 83
Quote:

Well, I suggest we trust statics over personal experiences.

If you mean statistics then I can only quote Churchill:

"there are lies, damned lies and statistics"

as statistics can tell you anything that you want to know and can be made to agree with any argument. That being said personal experience is biased as well as whoever comes up with the stats. In the end everything you read has to be taken with a pinch of salt knowing that every one has their own bias in their point of view.

Nov 7, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #58 of 83
Quote:

I would suggest quite the opposite. Statistics can be shaped to fit any argument and I have read many reports which also support my beliefs (based on said same statistics), I would much rather take personal experience as the basis for my beliefs.

Sorry, for the typo. Yes, statistics can be twisted (reason for my above link), but personal experience can even easier (I like... All my friends...). I'm not sure how your personal experience can be large enough on this issue to overrule stats (then again other people have religious beliefs on much larger issues without evidence). Statistics however flawed seem more trustworthy. Apples market-share obviously hasn't significantly grown, but there is evidence many Mac purchasers are first time computer owners. Perhaps that's where the iPod comes in? Still the number of 'switchers' statistically doesn't correspond even remotely to the large iPod sales. If there was a trend shouldn't be be obvious?

Quote:

I'm not sure why we're really debating this, as pds6 knows, I am also a mac owner and have no grudge to bear. Whether or not you believe it's been successful, Apple have certainly tried to use iTunes/iPod to increase their Mac sales.

Trying and succeeding are obviously different. You said they succeeded. I think that's the contention pds6 and I have. I never assumed you had a grudge to bear. One point though is we're both off this treads topic. So I'll refrain from further commentary on this issue. Sorry guys.

Nov 7, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #59 of 83
Quote:

Sorry, for the typo. Yes, statistics can be twisted (reason for my above link), but personal experience can even easier (I like... All my friends...). I'm not sure how your personal experience can be large enough on this issue to overrule stats (then again other people have religious beliefs on much larger issues without evidence). Statistics however flawed seem more trustworthy. Apples market-share obviously hasn't significantly grown, but there is evidence many Mac purchasers are first time computer owners. Perhaps that's where the iPod comes in? Still the number of 'switchers' statistically doesn't correspond even remotely to the large iPod sales. If there was a trend shouldn't be be obvious?

Trying and succeeding are obviously different. You said they succeeded. I think that's the contention pds6 and I have. I never assumed you had a grudge to bear. One point though is we're both off this treads topic. So I'll refrain from further commentary on this issue. Sorry guys.

I was objecting to the statistics comment in general. IMO you should base your opinions on YOUR experience, not statistics. Sorry for the confusion.

Like I said the statistics on this issue support both our theories (depending on the analyst) so chosing to believe in an interpretation is getting you nowhere. You also have to remember that a PC is a very different type of purchase than a music player, it involves a large outlay of money (which most people will only make ever 4 or so years) and there are obviously more uses for a computer that need to be taken into account, I only said that in my experience it has been a key element in the decision for people who have switched (and a lot of young people buying their first computer/laptop away from home).

My original point was nothing like you suggest. In reply to pds6 question about the iTunes discrepancies I suggested that it may be to help boost apple hardware sales. Never said it worked, just explained the thinking behind it. (I wasn't being entirely serious either, you might have noticed by the tone of the original comment).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back