Survey Says: Zune over iPod
Nov 4, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 83
People are getting bored?
confused.gif

Nov 4, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 83
I wouldn't buy the Zune for two reason...MS is a drm happy company...no way would I trust a single music file with M$...

Also it's nothing inventive...a very boring player... I'm currently looking for a HD player and I wouldn't even consider it.... bad battery life... they needed to release this thing like last year... I wouldn't have even bought it then... because of reason 1.

Nov 4, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 83
I have some pretty serious doubts on the overall neutrality of this survey.

I've never heard anyone anywhere ever say "wow, that Zune thing looks pretty great!".

Nov 4, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 83
it is 1st gen hardware from microsoft; they are simply trying to test the market waters. The second gen zune is bound to better and people will get bored of the ipod. They do bring wifi though limited, xbox syncing, and very clean interface to the table.

Nov 4, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 83
Well it took the 5th Gen iPod before I was actually interested in what Apple were doing with the players (and the 5.5 Gen before I actually got one) so I'm not interested in the 1st Gen Zune at all.

That being said I'd like to see what they do with the hardware and maybe in the next year or two they might actually have a decent player that I could be interested in.

Nov 4, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 83
It seems this is only news because of MS low status (new to this market and not "cool"). iPod and other DAP owners would consider the Zune when making their next purchase. We'd be idiots if we didn't consider it. True MS probably tested higher than iRiver, Toshiba, iAudio, Samsung, Creative, etc. (if even asked), but why shouldn't it? I'd be curious how Sony tests.

Quote:

So is Zune attractive enough to build anything like iPod's massive sales record? ABI Research believes that a critical factor will be whether or not Microsoft can differentiate the Zune from competing products in some meaningful way.

Wow.

Nov 4, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #11 of 83
I think the survey gives some weight to MS's capacity to impact the market, but I don't think said impact will be as severe as the results would belie.

That having been said, I will be playing with the Zune hands-on comes Tuesday, so I'll see if I can put up any meaningful reviews.

Nov 4, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #12 of 83
Given that the Zune is not yet on the market and no one is exactly sure what it will do or how it will perform, the results of this survey don't seem very significant.

Nov 4, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #13 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs
Given that the Zune is not yet on the market and no one is exactly sure what it will do or how it will perform, the results of this survey don't seem very significant.

The results may or may not be accurate, but I wouldn't say that it's insignificant.

Marketing's a bitch, no?
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #14 of 83
Quote:

58% of those identifying themselves as existing iPod owners and 59% of those who owned other brands said they would be "somewhat likely" or "extremely likely" to choose a Microsoft Zune player over an iPod or another brand of MP3 player.

Since it's not possible to view the survey without paying, it would have been nice if the news article gave more specifics. From the way they worded it, there is no way to draw any real conclusion. The fact that a lot of iPod owners MIGHT consider buying something different is not really all that important. What percentage said they were extremely likely to buy a Zune? For all we know it was one guy.

Nov 4, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #15 of 83
that's big shoes to fill if the Zune is to topple the entire iPod lineup.

from a Mac standpoint, I don't know how well the Zune will correspond to the Mac (if it even has that option)

that being said, i'm still banking on buying an 80GB (or 60GB refurb) iPod soon. that or wait for the 6G (if it does come out).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back