Surprise TDK MT-300: $4.97 of AWESOME...
Dec 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #16 of 371
Actually it doesn't surprise me how TDK recently been stepping up their game. I am interested in their multi driver Iems but I told myself after buying so many expensive gifts for myself that I can't spend anymore. You guys would be surprised how many new TDK earphones there are on Amazon Japan.  Them and Maxell. Stuff guys have no idea about.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #17 of 371
I just bought me a pair of these for $11, figure I just buy it before they raise the price like the MH1C.
Hope it's good.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #18 of 371
Quote:
I just bought me a pair of these for $11, figure I just buy it before they raise the price like the MH1C.
Hope it's good.

Looking forward to your impressions - prove us crazy or not lol!

Do you have any other tips to try with them?

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #19 of 371
Quote:

Looking forward to your impressions - prove us crazy or not lol!

Do you have any other tips to try with them?

I got some comply and some other various tips from my other iems.
From inline79's description the medium tip might fit me perfectly.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #20 of 371
Quote:
I have confirmed that either he is not crazy, or else we are both crazy
biggrin.gif

That's THREE Crazy Canucks and counting!

Quote:

Did you drive to Winterpeg to get yours?!?

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #22 of 371
Wayne :inline was the one who needed the non-crazy reassurance first
wink_face.gif

It seems to be a common question so far.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #23 of 371
Though I don't understand how you use those tips, nick!
They're way too big for these IEMs! Either the tips will fall or the IEMs will fall (or IEMs slip in and you lose all the seal and shebang).
Currently using the MH1C medium (longer one) tips and these are treating me quite well :D

From the initial impressions (after like 4 hours of use?) though, these are actually quite comfortable and the thin cables that I'm not used to having--are quite more comfortable for wearing over the ears than thicker cable alternatives. Absolutely no microphonics whatsoever when worn over ears. While the sound is not perfect--though lets say that perfection at ~$8 average would put utter shame to all other manufacturers too--they're very very enjoyable. There is a little bit of extra bass, and something in the mids make vocals sound a bit off... reminds me of the hisoundaudio POPO but these don't sound tinny at all. In fact these sound a lot better for a fraction of the price.

In any case, burn-in they go! Then I'll make some more definite and detailed impressions.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #24 of 371
you mean the Comply Tx500 ?

My reasoning is it should drop the bass a bit and make them more open. The stock tips have a smaller-ish hole comparatively

They are not super sung, but enough so that they don't slide around all sloppy. I always roll them up small before insertion anyhow so they expand perfectly, and don't get pushed down over the IEM shaft too far , they sit around stock . 

Whats the next bore hole size down in the Comply tips from them? Any idea? I will grab a couple of those too then to see, but no sound issues or sliding when they get put in pre-rolled to expand. Maybe my batch of them is better 
bigsmile_face.gif
  Let me know what the next bore size down is and I'm on it.

Try giving them just enough volume levels, not overly loud. And do try a pile of different tracks they can sound great with good files. That's sort of a given. I noticed something about some vocals  a couple times, but then i got hit with tracks that the vocals were excellent and right up there, so it may be the tracks.(?)

What are you running them off of?

I think someone mentioned too that they got a better seal by not wearing them over ears.

My advice ( take it or leave it of course) is to run them hard for a bit over 10 hours, then put them on , forget about comparing to other headphones temporarily , leave them on for a while and toy around with as many different genre/tracks as you can or go and do something for a while. They may, to you, do better with certain types.  I find i fall into the "forgetting about the cans and enjoying myself" aspect a fair bit.  But that's just me and not everyone's the same thankfully.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #25 of 371
Hm... no, not the comply, but those V-MODA and other stuff you included. Probably need to roll a few turns of teflon for piping to get them up to size 
biggrin.gif

Rather than the tips themselves slipping out of the ears, its that they slip off the IEMs!

No, definitely, not all vocal tracks suffer from the same symptoms. It seems the voice has to be a certain type for it to happen.

Currently running them off my phone.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #26 of 371
oh yes that's right the Vmoda Bliss tips I forgot..You could steal some silicone sleeves from another cheapo tip and put that on first as a shim type of thing.  I agree the Vmoda do slide a bit! I think the other ones I included were from the NuForce Ne-7m, They are slippy too huh. Oh well use them on something else
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #27 of 371
I finally got sick of comparing these to my Monoprice 8320s so it's time to tell the story:

vs Monoprice 8320
First impression is that the MT300 has boosted bass.  This can be good for some, bad for others.  Personally I enjoy feeling like I'm on stage, or in the room with the drums - it reminds me of my high school rock band days.  But it's hard to ignore the "grand concert hall" feel of the 8320s.  On switching back to the MT300s I feel like I lose a tiny little bit of the highs, and maybe some of their detail, though I'm not convinced.  Soundstage closes in a touch too, but I feel it is still above average for IEMs.  The mids are where I spent most of my time.  The 8320 is such a clear, mid-centric earphone, it was hard for me to believe the TDKs could be that good, but they are.  I think the TDKs have as much clarity in the mids as the 8320s and I don't get bored of them as quickly as the 8320s.  After some time with the TDKs, and keeping in mind that I have other higher-end full-size cans, and IEMs, I don't feel like I'm missing anything with the TDKs.  I think I just prefer the TDKs. There, I said it.

It's a close one though, and they easily complement each other more than compete, with the 8320s being really amazing for classical pieces in particular, and the TDKs as a general all-rounder.  I mean, there are tracks where the TDKs can become annoying at first, but then the bass-head in me takes over and says "oh yeah, I play the bass, I'm the bassist, let's jam".

The deal killer for the 8320 is ergonomics.  The awkward fitment and inconsistent seal of the 8320 makes it so much work to get fitted, that I sometimes pass on them because I want to get to my music sooner.  The TDKs are easy to fit quickly, and if you do it fast enough, you can still feel the cool aluminum on your lobes.. few IEMs can do that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back