Surprise TDK MT-300: $4.97 of AWESOME...
Dec 21, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #46 of 371
So Waynenumm, to clarify what tips have you settled on for now, of course everyone being different.

I let myself get used to the foams for a week, then swapped out to the MH1C today, and a definite bump in the high range and a bit more dynamic sound overall ( compared to the foams ), of course
redface.gif
...the foams will have softened out some of those highs. I had to try them though.. I'll let these silicones sink in for a few more days.

There hasn't been a day since i got them they haven't been on my head for at least an hour

oh yeah ( ***adds fuel to the fire with excellent picture ***)

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #47 of 371
Quote:
So Waynenumm, to clarify what tips have you settled on for now, of course everyone being different.

I let myself get used to the foams for a week, then swapped out to the MH1C today, and a definite bump in the high range and a bit more dynamic sound overall ( compared to the foams ), of course
redface.gif
...the foams will have softened out some of those highs. I had to try them though.. I'll let these silicones sink in for a few more days.

There hasn't been a day since i got them they haven't been on my head for at least an hour

oh yeah ( ***adds fuel to the fire with excellent picture ***)

Which sides are the left and right? Any problems with wearing them over-the-ear style? The cable looks fine, but that strain relief on the housing...ouch. 

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #48 of 371
That picture is showing them from the front if a person was facing you wearing them
RIGHT------------------LEFT

Actually I might go and get some of the liquid electrical tape and see how that works for adding to the strain relief.
Maybe even some of the Plasti-dip I have from modding stuff would work. 
They seem perfectly fine so far though

Just my current opinion but I would stick with some sort of silicone tip , stock or otherwise.

Dec 22, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #50 of 371
Got in the deal and bought 3 pairs for work as my GR02 BEs were getting abused. Whaddaya know, the day I got them, headphones were banned while working as they've been work hazards/PITA. 
frown.gif

They're a great value for 5 bucks. They've been under intense burn-in for ~15 hours and in my ears for 3 days. I prefer them over my BEs. I found both to be warm and veiled but the BEs have too much bass for certain songs. Bass is deep and punchy when necessary. These sound a lot better than on open box but that could be attributed to brain burn-in. The vocals sounded...bloated. As if circular and hollow but that isn't the case anymore or I've gotten used to them. Highs are smoothed over (if what I think smoothed over means what I think it means). It's never piercing, lacking for my taste actually, but no sibilance whatsoever. Soundstage is average I think, same as the BEs. They're very engaging and don't really do anything wrong. I use the tips from my BEs as the stock tips are awful. A lot less driver flex than my BEs as well. Worn over the ear or switched when worn down. These can go rather deep over the ear though which scares me cause they're tiny and I don't want to tug on the cord to pull them out. 
tongue.gif

Dec 22, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #52 of 371
Newbie here...

After buying the Shure SE215's for my motorcycle and general use I was surprised by how good they sound and told a few people to buy a pair.

Nick sent me a message telling me about these TDK IEM's. For $5 I was skeptical about the quality but he stressed that they were amazing.

Today I walked into XS Cargo and bought two pairs since the cost is equal to what I found under my couch cushions.

BUY THESE IEM'S!!! The sound is great! Far different than my SE215's but I'm liking these more since the bass seems more direct. Take note I'm using the stock tips but they seem to be good enough for me and my motorcycle. If any of you ride with a tight fitting helmet I recommend these. Easy on and easy off for the helmet and some extra pressure on the body equals an even better seal and WOO!! great music!

The verdict from me is this is the best five dollars you can spend on some darn fine equipment...

EDIT: These are better than my Monster Turbines. Found out after an hour of wearing them.

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #53 of 371
Just got them from inline today, been listening the entire way home. I'll spend some more time with them and put some impressions tomorrow. Driver flex can be a bit annoying, lack of strain relief is not promising, so might have to add something later. I've gone through the Supertips, decored Olives, various stock silcone tips, and only the Hybrids fit my ears as of now. I got some really promising sound out of the Olives until they decided to slip right out the nozzle, so I think foams are probably the way to go. Just have to find some Complys that will fit these now (if anyone has a fresh, unused pair of Complys, PM me). 

Immediately, I can confirm that these are very similar to the XB500s, like inline stated before. 

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #54 of 371
Quote:
, so I think foams are probably the way to go. Just have to find some Complys that will fit these now (if anyone has a fresh, unused pair of Complys, PM me).   

I used some foams, but after a while found it took out some of the highs, which is not what I was after for these , hence my recommendation to so back to a silicone type.
Just me so far though, see what you think and check back

And thanks for your impressions naztherobot ( owe me an espresso I'll collect that when I run into you ).  Always good to see different comparisons to specific models

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #55 of 371
Quote:
I used some foams, but after a while found it took out some of the highs, which is not what i wanted for these, hence my recommendation to so back to a silicone type. Just me though, see what you think and check back

Yeah, with the silicone or the foam, the sound still seems a bit dark. Like really dark. I suspect that either I'm not getting a decent seal, or I'm going to have a lot of fun playing with EQ tonight. 

First thing that comes out and impresses would be the sub-bass (well bass in general) regardless of tips. This is how I wished the MH1C would have turned out.

Maybe try trimming the tips off the Complys if the treble is being sucked out. Always worked for me on various other IEMs. 

I'll try and do more comparisons with the 8320, FXD40, SHE3590, maybe the FXD80, ER4P, W4, and anything else I can get my hands on (although it might be a bit unfair, but let's see how it'll pan out)

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #56 of 371
or try to find a silicone tip that has a wider opening than stock maybe. 

Go back to the MH1C after these have had some hours on them, then see how it is , well , flat sounding. lacking somewhat shall we say. Like the MH1C has trouble reaching to the bottom of the candy jar.
The low end i am hearing seems tight. I could go crazy with a long description, but I'll leave it at that for now.   Description I'm sure a bit later :)

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #57 of 371
Quote:
or try to find a silicone tip that has a wider opening than stock maybe. 

Go back to the MH1C after these have had some hours on them, then see how it is , well , flat sounding. lacking somewhat shall we say. Like the MH1C has trouble reaching to the bottom of the candy jar.
The low end i am hearing seems tight. I could go crazy with a long description, but I'll leave it at that for now.   Description I'm sure a bit later :)

I tried the Monoprice stock tips (the only tips I have with a wider opening than the Hybrids and TDK stocks), and everything just becomes anemic, even with the deepest seal available. Definitely not a good fit. 

Sold the MH1C, so no way to compare. It wasn't that they couldn't dig deep enough, just that everything else was over-the-top that any subbass presence was greatly diminished. Those babies really begged for some EQ.

Some great songs with the MT300s right now.

Keeps up the beat nicely on this song:

Typical deep sub-bass test

They do stuff like this well enough too

Super sensitive IEMs though. They are even more hiss prone than my W4s (once my most sensitive IEMs), and I can get them both to the same volumes on the iPod Touch.

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #58 of 371
Thanks I will give the tracks a shot. I love trying new tunes out, never know what you might discover.

I see a bass test there, and might as well post this one up also, but be careful. It's a brutal one no joke, but it has a countdown with the lowering cycles.
I am scared to try it on these but will eventually

NO JOKING use at your own risk
 I am not responsible for blowing your iem's up. Listen separately first without the iems to see what you are in for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO1-fLbbM4g

ha ! I could dry my hands with the air coming out of the lower bass ports  in these Audioengine A2's on this track

of course it's the overall signature of these TDK that strikes me as good, the way it all fits together.

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #60 of 371
and thanks to Inline79 for starting this thread !!!
beerchug.gif

Blame inline not me 
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back