Surprise TDK MT-300: $4.97 of AWESOME...
Dec 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #61 of 371
Quote:

I tried the Monoprice stock tips (the only tips I have with a wider opening than the Hybrids and TDK stocks), and everything just becomes anemic, even with the deepest seal available. Definitely not a good fit. 

Sold the MH1C, so no way to compare. It wasn't that they couldn't dig deep enough, just that everything else was over-the-top that any subbass presence was greatly diminished. Those babies really begged for some EQ.

Some great songs with the MT300s right now.

Keeps up the beat nicely on this song:

Typical deep sub-bass test

They do stuff like this well enough too

Super sensitive IEMs though. They are even more hiss prone than my W4s (once my most sensitive IEMs), and I can get them both to the same volumes on the iPod Touch.

First of all, the knowledge that you exhibit in the "Buying portable" thread blows me a way on a consistent basis (let alone the time and effort that you put forth in that thread). So on behalf of everyone, thanks for doing that.
beerchug.gif

Secondly, I am bookmarking those tracks. Wow - awesome tests. I'm surprised that the TDK's even remotely survived them lol! Actually, they sounded pretty good to me - I'm sure my ears will start to bleed when I try that last track out on some of my other iem's lol! Thanks for posting them. If you have any other good, brutal torture tracks like those, I'd be happy to hear them.

Cheers!

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #62 of 371
Quote:
and thanks to Inline79 for starting this thread !!!
beerchug.gif

Blame inline not me 
ph34r.gif

I don't work for TDK but after this, maybe I should...  nah, that means moving to Ontario... or worse yet, Gatineau!
tongue_smile.gif

and to WAYNENUMM - on torture tracks, being a big Beastie Boys fan, I have been searching the world for a system, any system, that will do "Intergalactic" proper justice.  It is my favourite super-wide dynamic range track.  The TDKs are the only IEMs I've ever heard that, on Intergalactic:
1. Don't completely destroy your skull with sub-bass (the SHE3580 DOES, as does the "Bose" system in my car)
2. Does not cause the treble to make your ears bleed from being cut to pieces (MDR-V6 territory), and
3. the Beastie Boys do not sound like they are singing at you from 5000miles away in Tokyo (practically every other budget IEM).  BTW I always play this track when I'm in Shinjuku, Tokyo, like I should just be striking a pose in the station (check out the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qORYO0atB6g  Ahh.. better bring my yellow boots on my next trip there)

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #64 of 371
I bought three pairs of these in Ottawa a few days ago for 4.97 and they still had tons left. Did a quick listen with one test track that I like and I was impressed! Will do some comparative listening with my mh1c's and monster copper and golds

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #65 of 371
Whoops, hit return before I was finished. So, I bought one pair for me, one pair for a friend(if he wants them, will know in a couple days) and one for dsnuts(thought I saw him mention them and that he'd like to hear them and with all the stuff he does for this community figure I'd send him a pair to check out-gonna pm him). There is a good chance that the friend won't need need the third pair-if so I'd consider sending them to someone else no charge as well, perhaps someone else who does a lot of reviews-recommendations folks?. Lastly, I may have a chance to get back to the store mid next wk and would consider picking up more for people who really want to try them but can't get a hold of them.....

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #66 of 371
Quote:
Whoops, hit return before I was finished. So, I bought one pair for me, one pair for a friend(if he wants them, will know in a couple days) and one for dsnuts(thought I saw him mention them and that he'd like to hear them and with all the stuff he does for this community figure I'd send him a pair to check out-gonna pm him). There is a good chance that the friend won't need need the third pair-if so I'd consider sending them to someone else no charge as well, perhaps someone else who does a lot of reviews-recommendations folks?. Lastly, I may have a chance to get back to the store mid next wk and would consider picking up more for people who really want to try them but can't get a hold of them.....

Thanks for your generosity, Nick has one on its way to dsnuts and I to ljokerl so we are covered!  I had a PM from someone in Montreal who couldn't get a hold of them so if you have any friends there, may ping them.  I also have a couple spares left still!

My tip for shipping them to our US friends is to collapse the box down to 20mm thick, then it can go over as a light packet anywhere in the lower 48 for $2.48+tax.  That's even cheaper than sending it to Montreal from Ottawa!

PS sorry about what I said about Gatineau above. :)  Imation (TDK) shows an office there.

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #67 of 371
So after some more listening I've noticed something unusual... When I woke up this afternoon I put them in my ears and the sound was almost... cold? (bad terminology, sorry). After maybe 20 minutes of music they started sounding MUCH better. Are most IEM's like this? My Shures didn't seem to have this... 

Thanks

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #68 of 371
cgrahams, why not keep it as a spare just in case something happens to it.
smile.gif

I did end up standing up and ripping the C3 player right off the bottom of these while they were in my ears, handled it quite well, no issues, nothing snapped. I am sure there's a knot inside the strain relief anyhow.
Will check in when and if I reinforce that area with Liquid Electrical tape or something like that.

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #69 of 371
Quote:
I did end up standing up and ripping the C3 player right off the bottom of these while they were in my ears, handled it quite well, no issues, nothing snapped. I am sure there's a knot inside the strain relief anyhow.
Will check in when and if I reinforce that area with Liquid Electrical tape or something like that.

Using a rubber band for strain relief at the moment. How ingenious. Will try and go out to buy some shrink wrap later on. One complaint would be that I'd love see a thicker cable on these. Would love to get these recabled (yes, these $5 things), because I can see myself using them everyday as a pair of beater IEMs. 

Quote:
Sooooo bloody hard to find a good silicone tips for this, tried all the ones I have but no luck yet, it's because of the angled body...

Very true. And the pair I did find that sort of fit (SM Hybrids filled up with small Olives), were needed on other IEMs. 

Impressions are generally positive, with some caveats. I'll wait later this week for actual impressions. I'll get plenty of beloved ear-time with these as I sit through family dinner after family dinner. Happy holidays!

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #70 of 371
Got a pair of these yesterday at $4.97 and they're pretty impressive little pieces.  Does not have the clarity of the 8320 but it's not *that* far off.  What it does have is chest rumbling sub-bass that's neither bloated nor boomy.  Very enjoyable.

However, I had to go through nearly my entire tip collection to find a pair that I would be happy with.

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #71 of 371
Thanks for your generosity, Nick has one on its way to dsnuts and I to ljokerl so we are covered!  I had a PM from someone in Montreal who couldn't get a hold of them so if you have any friends there, may ping them.  I also have a couple spares left still!

My tip for shipping them to our US friends is to collapse the box down to 20mm thick, then it can go over as a light packet anywhere in the lower 48 for $2.48+tax.  That's even cheaper than sending it to Montreal from Ottawa!

PS sorry about what I said about Gatineau above. :)  Imation (TDK) shows an office there.

No worries about the Gatineau quip-lol! My heart actually lies in BC-going out for a month of snowboarding this winter so I'm stoked! The first person to pm me gets them shipped to them gratis :D

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #72 of 371
Quote:
No worries about the Gatineau quip-lol! My heart actually lies in BC-going out for a month of snowboarding this winter so I'm stoked! The first person to pm me gets them shipped to them gratis
biggrin.gif

somebody get on this!

Yet another awesome head-fier!

Naztherobot see if that does the same thing to you again, unless it's your ears still waking up
confused_face.gif

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #73 of 371
Got a taker! Gonna send them to RoMee. Also, gonna send the second pair to a friend of dsnuts :). Can't wait to actually spend some time with these myself over the holidays :D. Happy holidays all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back