Surprise TDK EB-750: $6.99 of BETTER AWESOME...w/Special guest TDK IE-500 Ceramic Housing (to follow)
Feb 16, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #17 of 71
Here are mine next to an M2P for ref.  The cables look and feel very similar.  You can't really see all the nicks on the EB750, but you can see the port on the one of the left.  Those are the stock tips BTW.

So I solved my bone conduction mystery - it's tip dependent.  I put in some foamies and it was much quieter.  So I'll need to experiment some more!

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #18 of 71
I have been really digging these lately! At first I was a bit sensitive to the treble. I think though that all they needed was some burn in, or maybe I didn't have a good enough seal.. Now, with with the tips inserted deeply and with a good seal, I am hearing a really full, balanced sound with decent detail. Awesome! Nice find guys.

My only niggles are that the cable is a bit short, and they are not as comfortable as the mt300's for lying down. I basically really like the form factor of the mt300's. Oh well - can't have everything!

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #19 of 71
Now time for part 2.

This week I've been enjoying the TDK IE500 on various trains, busses, and other forms of transportation as I'm on the road.  Generally, I appreciate that they have less isolation, perhaps some of the least isolation I've seen in an IEM.  This is handy when I need to hear announcements and station info since I really don't know my way.  The cable seems quite thin, but is not microphonic at all, and has a nice quality feel to it.  It reminds me of the Monoprice 8320 cable, but with another level up in quality.  However, it tangles just as badly as any other cord.  It also comes with a cinch and a nice metal 3.5mm plug like the MT300.  I have a minor gripe with the big Y junction thing getting caught on stuff.  I also think they're pretty heavy so you can feel them in your ear, but also if you only wanted to have one side in the other dangles quite precariously.

Sound-wise the first impression is that they are extra airy for an IEM.  The overall sound is very balanced.  I might consider the bass to have a slight boost to it, but I haven't spent a whole lot of time with them in a truly quiet environment just yet.  The overall signature has a smooth quality to it that makes these very easy to listen to.  Highs are present and not aggressive, and mids are very clear.  It's sort of what I expected from a ceramic, with the added airyness being a great bonus.  These have been good to me all week and I'll continue to use them when I need just a little less isolation.

I think the tip you see on it above is from an MH1C, but I have completely lost track.   In the background is a subtle hint at where in the world is inline79?

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #20 of 71
Quote:
Now time for part 2.

This week I've been enjoying the TDK IE500 on various trains, busses, and other forms of transportation as I'm on the road.  Generally, I appreciate that they have less isolation, perhaps some of the least isolation I've seen in an IEM.  This is handy when I need to hear announcements and station info since I really don't know my way.  The cable seems quite thin, but is not microphonic at all, and has a nice quality feel to it.  It reminds me of the Monoprice 8320 cable, but with another level up in quality.  However, it tangles just as badly as any other cord.  It also comes with a cinch and a nice metal 3.5mm plug like the MT300.  I have a minor gripe with the big Y junction thing getting caught on stuff.  I also think they're pretty heavy so you can feel them in your ear, but also if you only wanted to have one side in the other dangles quite precariously.

Sound-wise the first impression is that they are extra airy for an IEM.  The overall sound is very balanced.  I might consider the bass to have a slight boost to it, but I haven't spent a whole lot of time with them in a truly quiet environment just yet.  The overall signature has a smooth quality to it that makes these very easy to listen to.  Highs are present and not aggressive, and mids are very clear.  It's sort of what I expected from a ceramic, with the added airyness being a great bonus.  These have been good to me all week and I'll continue to use them when I need just a little less isolation.

I think the tip you see on it above is from an MH1C, but I have completely lost track.   In the background is a subtle hint at where in the world is inline79?

Hmm? I'm thinking 0079 ... Hmmmm? 

lol Inline79, man of intrigue! 

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #21 of 71
Now time for part 2.

Reading your description, I am sensing similarity to MA600's sound...

Mar 7, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #22 of 71
I have to update my IE-500 assessment.
Now that I'm in a quiet place and have been listening to a bunch of BA IEMs, I find the IE500 to have a boosted bass like many of the TDK line, but still with extra airiness.  I guess when I was on all that public transit the noise masked this.

Anyways, if you find an IE500 and it's cheap (<$20) give it a go!

I recall the MA600 was even more balanced than any of these other TDKs.

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #24 of 71
Boy been a bit since i popped in here, I went to look for the easier of the two sources for the cheapo EB-750 the other day but the one source no longer has them, not even on sale, and the other place back east was redoing their website I will have to pop in and see again if it's back up.
 If it is and they are still cheap I will message you Jazzkammer.

The EB-750 are always the go-to for me over the MT300 still, even with their shorter cable.
 On the IE-500 airyness is most certainly the best description.

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #28 of 71
I'm still very happy with mine ( EB-750 ), still waiting for the other cheapo source to get back online they underwent a brief closing for health reasons and should be up soon.  Have to get a spare :)

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #30 of 71
Wonder if there is any deal on these in the UK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back