Suppliers of quality cases needed
Feb 22, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #31 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
EDIT.... won't allow me to post the picture as the word P R O N is in the address (good god!)

lol i could see you were having trouble with it. You have to remember not all countries are as liberal as the ones over here
tongue.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #32 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nisbeth
That must have been a very blunt drill bit

/U.

The particular drill bit in question dates back to the early 1950's (was my fathers) so "yes" it's well blunt (beyond sharpening I'm afraid).... I bought myself some new bits a while back as holes were becoming harder and harder to cut but, generally, I use very old tools and don't waste money on new stuff unless something is totally knackered.

Feb 22, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #33 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave_M
lol i could see you were having trouble with it. You have to remember not all countries are as liberal as the ones over here
tongue.gif

ok, if you go here and then scroll down to "head amp photo gallery" you will see the galaxy enclosure in there somewhere. "Chiarra / Andante in one enclosure" you'll see what a blunt drill bit can do there
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Have you had a look at them yet Steve?

Hiya one and all.

Sorry been occupied since I got in tonight preparing for a trip tomorrow.

Got the cases unpacked and was a little disappointed to be honest. The case extrusion itself is OK but the end panels let the effect down. The posh screws are not that posh just a torx head which are fairly small and will need a torx key to screw the thread as they are very tight until cut in.

The black looks better than the silver so I think I'll be using an all black case with silver volume knob as a contrast.

I guess it could be I just got a bad set of panels but the hammond ends are better finished imo.

I'll probably have to wait till the weekend and daylight to uncase my WNA and drill out the end panels and hopefully the result will be better than a plain hammond.

Given a nice thick quality end panel would have made this an ideal case but they only do the one thickness in natural silver/ anodised silver and anodised black.

Where's that italian phrase book and the auidiokit.it telephone number
tongue.gif

Steve

Feb 22, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #35 of 54
Did you remove the plastic film from the end panels Steve? I confess they're pretty basic (and thin) but they will spray up nicely or can be veneered.

Mike.

Feb 22, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #36 of 54
Familiar looking?

solofront3.jpg

The £450 MKlll Graham Slee Solo used that same lincolnbinns enclosure with painted front and rear panels.

Here are a few more shots:

DSCF3034.jpg

£10 linclonbinns enclosure

Transformed into a £450 SOLO:

solofront2.jpg

overhead.jpg

rear3.jpg

I'll be using the lincolnbinns Steve and will spray the end panels with grey primer and then semi sheen black... will look good. (plenty of spray paint left over from the headcase amp)

Feb 22, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #37 of 54
Quote:

Did you remove the plastic film from the end panels Steve? I confess they're pretty basic (and thin) but they will spray up nicely or can be veneered.

Mike.

No plastic film (I think it said on the web page only the natural has a protective film). One silver panels has marks on which I thought were machine roller marks buyt on closer inspection it's actually some large number from the original sheet I presume. Poor quality control if they make end panels from aluminium sheet and ignore the stamped batch numbers. If I get a chance in the morning I may call and ask for a replacement set of panels just to see how they respond.

Steve

Feb 22, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd
No plastic film (I think it said on the web page only the natural has a protective film). One silver panels has marks on which I thought were machine roller marks buyt on closer inspection it's actually some large number from the original sheet I presume. Poor quality control if they make end panels from aluminium sheet and ignore the stamped batch numbers. If I get a chance in the morning I may call and ask for a replacement set of panels just to see how they respond.

Steve

Seriously Steve,

Drill the panels and do the initial fit to ensure all is flush etc. Remove front and rear panel, give them a sanding with some 1200 grade. A couple of coats of grey primer followed by a couple of coats of semi sheen and that enclosure will look the dog's bollocks. There's no way I would use those panels "raw" no way at all.

Mike.

Feb 22, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #39 of 54
Just thought I would post the response I got from Lincoln Binns:

Quote:

John,

To answer your questions,

Our US distributor currently owes us 6000 USD from more than 6 months ago, so that's not looking good and I am not going to point you in their direction.

On the other hand we have lots of direct customers in the USA anyway, though they are companies or US Government agencies.

For small weights (up to 2 kg) we can use airmail and pay a surcharge for "Airsure" to ensure it gets there. So carriage will be 10 GB Pounds for 1 x ECS160 with accessories as required, 14 GBP for two, 18 GBP for three etc. I think 5 sets will be about max. Delivery is up to 2 weeks, but this is cheapest.

Price of the goods will be at cost (see price list on the website). We will run your card and enter the GB Pounds amount of the invoice, this will be converted to USD by your card company at their current rate. We cannot enter a USD amount on our card machine. Currently 1GBP = 1.75 USD approx.

For security reasons you should not email your card details to us, so I suggest fax or phone. Fax has the benefit that the delivery address will be spelt correctly ..... If you put "Headfi" on the fax then we will select a box with a good finish on the top (yep, it varies from batch to batch, but sometimes only 20% of our boxes are Hifi quality. Thats why we like to know a bit about our customers. Most are automotive). We select for VertexAQ http://www.vertexaq.com/vertex.pdf

Fax from USA is 011 44 1403 865487.

Card details are card number, expiry and 3 digit security code, sometimes start date or issue number on certain debit cards.

OK?

I read the thread. Very interesting.

We have been making extruded enclosures for 20 years, I had Rob Hammond round a few years ago. He liked what he saw and he decided that he wanted to have his own extrusions. Now he has got them. Good luck to him, I say!

Sorry the end plates are too thin for HiFi, If they were milled from solid they would be much better, but most of our customers will not pay for this. If you want a plain front, you might consider putting 2 endplates back to back on the front to thicken it up. Alternatively, the bezel gives that "thicker" look, see this datasheet for 3 different bezel looks http://www.lincolnbinns.com/download...ccessories.pdf.

There is a mention in the thread of the"writing" on the anodized end plate. That should be on the back of the plate, along with the anodizing jig marks. The front of the plate should be clean. If not, we will replace, of course.

Kind regards,

John Binns BSc. Eng.
Lincoln Binns Ltd.
Oakendene Estate
Cowfold
West Sussex
RH13 8AZ

telephone: 01403 865486
from abroad telephone: +44 1403 865486
fax: +44 1403 865487

e-mail: info@lincolnbinns.com
www.lincolnbinns.com

Feb 22, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #40 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by saab
Just thought I would post the response I got from Lincoln Binns:

Nice response, they seem like your typical small UK firm who care about the customer and are eager to please, nice one.

The shipping to the USA is very reasonable as these things go. I recently sent a 1.6KG X-CAN to the states and it cost me £22 using airsure!! so they certainly aren't "adding" anything to the cost of the postage and packing.

The "20%" thing is fair enough considering they don't make these enclosures exclusively for audio so writing "Head-Fi" or "for audio use" on your order will ensure you get one of the 20% that are perfect?, seems fair enough to me
smily_headphones1.gif

Mike.

Feb 22, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #41 of 54
Quote:

Nice response, they seem like your typical small UK firm who care about the customer and are eager to please, nice one.

The shipping to the USA is very reasonable as these things go. I recently sent a 1.6KG X-CAN to the states and it cost me £22 using airsure!! so they certainly aren't "adding" anything to the cost of the postage and packing.

The "20%" thing is fair enough considering they don't make these enclosures exclusively for audio so writing "Head-Fi" or "for audio use" on your order will ensure you get one of the 20% that are perfect?, seems fair enough to me
smily_headphones1.gif

Mike.

Pretty much exactly my thoughts.

Feb 22, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #42 of 54
I'm sure if there was enough interest these guys would make an enclosure specially for "audio" use. The guy (John Binns) mentions people wouldn't pay for them, well..... he hasn't met us yet!

Feb 22, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #44 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nisbeth
I think a response like that makes their website worth a second look
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

EDIT: Ok, had that second look. Thanks for posting their contact infor John, I'll be needing that soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Totally off topic Uffe, your website is excellent.... first time I have looked at it, very good indeed, keep up the good work.

Mike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back