Suppliers of quality cases needed
Feb 19, 2006 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

StevieDvd

Headphoneus Supremus
OK I'll ask here in case (pun intended) we have any memebers with a connection to or knowledge of a supplier.

I'm looking to recase one or two amps which are currently in the basic aluminium Hammond cases.

What would be nice is to get a decent thick front panel milled etc at a reasonable price so the amps look less home made.

Someone or somewhere that would perhaps do one-offs from a drawing/software file.

Any ideas anyone.

Obviously UK based would be better.

Thanks

Steve

Feb 19, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 54
Have you tried a local metal fabricator ? Normally even small scale metal fabrication facilities are set up to work directly from CAD files so unless you use a real offbeat program,one that does not work to a convertable standard,then anything you come up with can be built.

The main "glitch" is cost.Any "one of" or short production run is way more expensive and is why DIYers mostly stick to the normal outlets (see links).Set-up fees,toolng,a highly individual rather than "production" effort,all lead to added cost.

some others :

http://www.rcicustom.com/plates.htm

http://www.rcicustom.com/options.htm

http://www.iagaudio.com/services.htm

http://www.idealinnovations.ca/diychassis.htm

http://www.sescom.com/enclosures/custom_punch.html

http://www.banzaieffects.com/europe/parts/boxes.htm

Feb 19, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 54
Look no further than Lincolnbinns Steve, quality on a stick. Quite a few well known manufacturers source from them.

shoosh... don't let everyone know, keep it under wraps
wink.gif

They'll mill to your requirements.

Feb 20, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #5 of 54
Thanks guys I've just ordered a black and a silver enclosure from Lincoln Binns to see what they are like first. If generally OK I can then consider just getting the front panels done later to smarten them up a bit more.

I'll post some pictures of the cases when I get them.

Steve

Feb 20, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd
Thanks guys I've just ordered a black and a silver enclosure from Lincoln Binns to see what they are like first. If generally OK I can then consider just getting the front panels done later to smarten them up a bit more.

I'll post some pictures of the cases when I get them.

Steve

Awesome Steve, may I ask if they are reasonably priced?

Mike.

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 54
Works out at around £16 plus vat for a black anodised case with panels & screws and £10 for a silver one. So with vat & delivery it's going o be £35 delivered for the two.

I can then play around with the black/silver case/panel choices and black/silver knobs to see which looks best to me.

Posh knobs or milled thicker panels, let's wait & see.
tongue.gif

Steve

Feb 20, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #9 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzzler
That's a pretty nice price.. Look forward to seeing them properly

Ever seen the GSP solo? That's a lincolnbinns.... nice.

Feb 21, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #10 of 54
My sample from Lincolnbinns arrived today and it's a lot better looking than the obligatory Hammond IMO.

Supplied was:
1 x ECS160 E-Case C, Silver anodised 160mm
2 x PCN1 End plate C, Natural finish
1 x SC8 Screws for end plate, pack of 8
2 x LSS80 Linc-Lug, silver anodised (single) 80mm
1 x GEC1 Gasket set for E-Case C
2 x ZCS1 Bezel C silver

The enclosure itself is pretty high quality anodised aluminium, the silver bezels look good and the blanking off plugs for the screwholes are an excellent idea. The end plates are a nice silver finish and look like they'll be easy to drill.

All in all a slightly different from the norm enclosure and I think it will look absolutely fabulous once it's fitted with knob, head socket, phono sockets and LED etc.

Great find and a superb alternative to the Maplin "Hammond" range. The people at Lincolnbinns inform me they can extrude to your custom size / requirements and they will also mill the panels if you want them too. A great little company that deserves recognition amongst the DIYer here at Head-Fi and elsewhere, I'll certainly be using them for all my enclosure requirements in the future.

Pics:

DSCF3031.jpg

DSCF3034.jpg

DSCF3036.jpg

DSCF3038.jpg

DSCF3040.jpg

DSCF3041.jpg

DSCF3042.jpg

DSCF3046.jpg

DSCF3053.jpg

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #11 of 54
Beat me to it!

Mine arrived at home this morning too but I have to work all day before I can get to even see them in person. I went for the anodised silver ends instead of the natural and the posher screws
tongue.gif
Did not bother with the plastic end parts as they remind me of the hammond bezels too much.

Can't wait to mix 'n' match the silver & black cases/panels.

Steve

Feb 21, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

Beat me to it!

Yeh, I'm pretty sharpish out of the blocks Steve!

Quote:

Mine arrived at home this morning too but I have to work all day before I can get to even see them in person.

You should work from home, beats commuting any day.

Quote:

I went for the anodised silver ends instead of the natural and the posher screws
tongue.gif
Did not bother with the plastic end parts as they remind me of the hammond bezels too much.

I didn't have much choice just went with what I was offered, very nice though, looking forward to seeing yours with the posh screws
tongue.gif

Quote:

Again. look forward to the piccies.

Feb 21, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by saab
does anyone know if these are available in the U.S. That case looks pretty nice.

Not sure but I reckon they would ship to the States, may well be worth emailing them.

Mike.

Feb 21, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Beat me to it!

Mine arrived at home this morning too but I have to work all day before I can get to even see them in person. I went for the anodised silver ends instead of the natural and the posher screws
tongue.gif

Steve

Have you had a look at them yet Steve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back