Suppliers of quality cases needed
Feb 21, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #16 of 54
I'm new to the forum so forgive me if these have been featured before.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ampbox/page2.html

I like this enclosure immensely. I've been in contact with the builder concerning the S1 shown in this link. He will sell the enclosure unpolished and undrilled for $85 plus shipping. Polished with all customer specified holes drilled for $125. Or, at additional cost, with various components installed. Enclosure is 6"x2.55"x1.23". Perfect size for many head amps. They are somewhat expensive, but there are those who may want something such as this for that one special amp.

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by 69CamaroSS396
I'm new to the forum so forgive me if these have been featured before.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ampbox/page2.html

I like this enclosure immensely. I've been in contact with the builder concerning the S1 shown in this link. He will sell the enclosure unpolished and undrilled for $85 plus shipping. Polished with all customer specified holes drilled for $125. Or, at additional cost, with various components installed. Enclosure is 6"x2.55"x1.23". Perfect size for many head amps. They are somewhat expensive, but there are those who may want something such as this for that one special amp.

That's a beautiful enclosure, just what the doctor ordered for that very special amp.... lovely!

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #18 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd
Did not bother with the plastic end parts as they remind me of the hammond bezels too much.

Agreed, probably looks sleeker without the plastic bezels in place.

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave_M
Pink Floyd, how do these cases compare to the case you got from audiokit.it?

Not a patch on the audiokit enclosures but perfectly good for what they are. The audiokit.it galaxy enclosures are a totally different kettle of fish in that they are extremely solid and weighty with very thick panels. The lincolnbinns ones are a lot lighter and more along the lines of the Hammonds with self tapping screws etc. The Galaxy enclosures have allen bolts, reversible panels and are made up of 6 pieces so they can be accessed from the front, the rear, the top or the bottom whereas the lincolnbinns are fully enclosed with only the front / rear panels removable.

I'm not too fussed about weight and stuff so the little lincolnbinns enclosure will be fine for a 100mm eurocard to slot into, it serves a purpose looks fine and is relatively cheap.

Mike.

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzzler
Sure it's been posted before, but if you want a very nice looking pre-made case, the HiFi 2000 cases from www.audiokit.it are worth a look, not TOO expensive either. Front panel is ~2.5mm thick anodised Alu

Slightly OT: Gus, have you seen that Audiokit is now offering 10mm thick replacement frontpanels in either silver or black for these cases?

/U.

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #22 of 54
Sorry about the picture quality (2001) but these will give you an idea of the "solidity" of the Audiokit.it Galaxy enclosures (weighed a ton if you like that kind of thing):

front4.jpg

rear.jpg

front5.jpg

This was a chiarra / andante all in the one Galaxy enclosure circa 2001.

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #23 of 54
If you had to pick a favorite out of the audiokit and lincolnbinns cases, which would you pick all things considered like price looks etc? Assuming you are building a home amp for yourself
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nisbeth
Slightly OT: Gus, have you seen that Audiokit is now offering 10mm thick replacement frontpanels in either silver or black for these cases?

Must say I hadn't, but sounds good, if a little more tricky to drill
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #25 of 54
Quote:

If you had to pick a favorite out of the audiokit and lincolnbinns cases, which would you pick all things considered like price looks etc? Assuming you are building a home amp for yourself
smily_headphones1.gif

Depends what you are looking for to be honest, if you like solid and classy go for the audiokit. If you want compact, lightweight and functional go for a lincolnbinns.

Two "totally" different types of enclosure, the audiokit would cost around £100 if sold in the UK whereas the lincolnbinns are £10 (sold in the UK) It's like asking "what's the best a mini or a rolls royce?" The Galaxy enclosures are far more solid... well, you can see from the pics.

Mike.

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #26 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzzler
Must say I hadn't, but sounds good, if a little more tricky to drill
wink.gif

The Galaxy panels are a person to drill from what I remember, come to think of it I was probably using a blunt drill bit back then
eek.gif
They are SOLID that's for sure, I doubt a nuke would penetrate them in fact.

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Depends what you are looking for to be honest, if you like solid and classy go for the audiokit. If you want compact, lightweight and functional go for a lincolnbinns.

I was just interested in your personal opinion. Like if you built a new amp, are you more likely to put it in a audiokit or a lincolnbinns?

Feb 22, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #28 of 54
Just dug this pic up out of the archives (2001) and you can see if you look closely at the volco hole that it was either a blunt drill bit I used or the front panel was a right bugger to drill through..... the drill bit more "melted" the aluminium than cut through it
eek.gif

EDIT.... won't allow me to post the picture as the word P R O N is in the address (good god!)

Feb 22, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #29 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
The Galaxy panels are a person to drill from what I remember, come to think of it I was probably using a blunt drill bit back then
eek.gif
They are SOLID that's for sure, I doubt a nuke would penetrate them in fact.

That must have been a very blunt drill bit, because I think the front and rear panels on the audiokit cases are really nice to work with. The (steel) top and bottom on the other hand....
mad.gif

/U.

Feb 22, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #30 of 54
Quote:

I was just interested in your personal opinion. Like if you built a new amp, are you more likely to put it in a audiokit or a lincolnbinns?

I'm a cheapskate and looks don't mean a thing to me so I'd go with the one that costs a tenner, as long as it does the job it's good enough for me. If someone asked me to build them an uber cool looking amp then I'd go with the Galaxy enclosure from Audiokit but for my own personal use I'd go for the cheapest and most functional... as I say, looks mean nothing to me... functionality and SQ are paramount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back