Superlux hd681 impressions - AKG copy budget open air headphone
Nov 15, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #16 of 24
AudioHipster just tried out the HD660 headphones from Superlux and what is nice is these are manufactured by Superlux, and they are proud of their product and from the tests in the studio I would recommend them to any studio who wants Quality and products they can trust, very Flat and accurate and the specs are right on. Doyen Keaton owner of AudioHipster Superlux Profile

Sep 22, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #17 of 24

After breaking in the HD-681's..... 10 months L8r the bass has really come to life,  they are my go to headphone in the studio,  I find them to have clearer sound then my 56 Ohm 240's...  other then they look I find them not to be a clone... at first they sounded the same but after breaking in the Superlux wow they have amazed me.. With 10-30,000Hz  EQ'd after the P_brand HP890  I will see if I can post a picture of the drivers.  The 681 has a larger driver.   Also I could not find anywhere to buy the HD-660, amazing 100 Ohm cans BTW...   so I called the rep and became a Superlux dealer, and bought the last 2 case's of the HD-660. This has helped us to keep the doors of the studio open and the MCI Sony JH-24 rolling and loaded with tape.    Cheers Doyen AudioHipster Studios

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #18 of 24
Reviving a thread here because I picked these up cheap brand new on ebay and am sufficiently surprised by the sound quality.

Bass impact is there and the midrange is quite sweet. Mind you, I've only used it for a couple of songs and they are burning in right now.

This is coming from someone who owns HD800, Grado GS1000i etc. 

Almost afraid to listen to them more in case they make me wonder if the insanely cheap price makes me feel silly about the HD800s!

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #19 of 24
I'll stick to akg, but I will be recommending my cheap friend these. Just bought k240 studios. I see no reason why these should be better for half the price, especially when amped properly. I've read reviews. Almost every one of them said they are inferior to k240's... Lets hope my decision wasn't bad in buying akg...

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #20 of 24
I picked up a pair of HD 681s on eBay for only $24.99 (with free shipping).  All I got to say is WOW !! 

Look at my signature line, I own several pairs of highly rated headphones but I will say this.  Since I got my HD 681s, most of the rest of my phones are collecting dust !  These things are spectacular.  I can't believe I only paid $25 for them. 

I like them so much, I order a pair of HD 681 EVOs today.  Can't wait to try them out as well.  $36.95 shipped on Amazon.

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #21 of 24
I saw another rip-off of akg k240's today. The PreSonus HD 7. A person I know has them. Haven't tried em yet, but they are 60$ so maybe someone here should buy and post impressions? Or maybe I should borrow them?... Don't know about that. I barely know the person. They look really cool too. I still am sticking with the king k240.

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #22 of 24
Hey Thanks for all the impressions... haven't had much time to even post costumers impressions... anywho the 681 is far from a AKG clone, (looks only...the person driver is way bigger) altho the original 681 kicks the 240 in the ass in the studio... it sounds like the 240 more then the 681B but just better highs and deep lows. haven't tried The PreSonus HD 7... but they made a good choice as we can see super person written all over them.  tonight i am listing to Tedeschi Trucks Band - Live At Red Rocks (2012) HQ Full with a fresh 681 EVO and have to say it is simply sooth as my wife's butt... a tad deep but fantastic sound stage. we have pass the EVO to a few engineers and they love the EVO... and fro the price... why in the hell beets is still here is a flash back on the last 16 years in DC. what a rip.   Doyen is Engineer and owner of AudioHIpster, and we support healthy living and say no to GMO, corporate and federal corruption. Thanks for specking out and standing up to post your Impressions.    Cheers Doyen

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #23 of 24
Hey Thanks for all the impressions... haven't had much time to even post costumers impressions... anywho the 681 is far from a AKG clone, (looks only...the person driver is way bigger) altho the original 681 kicks the 240 in the ass in the studio... it sounds like the 240 more then the 681B but just better highs and deep lows. haven't tried The PreSonus HD 7... but they made a good choice as we can see super person written all over them.  tonight i am listing to Tedeschi Trucks Band - Live At Red Rocks (2012) HQ Full with a fresh 681 EVO and have to say it is simply sooth as my wife's butt... a tad deep but fantastic sound stage. we have pass the EVO to a few engineers and they love the EVO... and fro the price... why in the hell beets is still here is a flash back on the last 16 years in DC. what a rip.   Doyen is Engineer and owner of AudioHIpster, and we support healthy living and say no to GMO, corporate and federal corruption. Thanks for specking out and standing up to post your Impressions.    
Cheers Doyen
hmm... The way I hear it from most is that k240's are better in the studio, and that the 681's are a bit bassier. I'll have to buy every single one of the superlux line and buy the Presonus HD 7, then have an ultimate showdown between em all. Then wear a different pair each day to school for a week to confuse people. I just call anything that looks like a k240 a ripoff. It may or may not sound the same, but it still looks like a clone. The mids on the k240's are some of the smoothest I've tried. They are pretty damn hard to beat in that area. Bass? If you mean sub bass, then yes. Most likely. The k240's show massive drop off into the 50-20 hz region. Mid bass is at -5db, and upper bass and lower to middle mids are at +4db. Beyond that, it goes up or down by a max of 5db. That is pretty damn flat... I'll do this battle royale of the semi open k240 look alikes and the original this summer when I have a job. I'm going to have some fun! This is how I think its going to go. 681's have bigger(not necessarily more accurate.) soundstage with more sub-bass and similar treble, k240's have better midrange and are slightly flatter, and hd7's?... Don't know how well those will perform. Any other k240 look alikes I can test and compare to the original?

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #24 of 24
Oh, Samson sr850 is going on the list too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back