Superlux HD669 Issue/Complaint
Apr 17, 2011 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

i2ehan

Aka: Nightcrawler, Oof Oink
Was flipping items from the classifieds on eBay.
Being that these are my first ever closed cans, or cans for that matter, I don't have much to compare to as I've always owned IEM's (currently, Sennheiser IE8's). Nonetheless, I absolutely love the 669's, as they are every bit what I had expected and more! I'm no audiophile/expert, but the soundstage and well balanced bass (not at all overpowering, nor muffled) are more than satisfactory for me! That brings me, however, to the only flaw that is unfortunately forcing me to reconsider an equal/better option, or even resort back to the IEM's and forget cans entirely.

Simply put, they are beginning to give me headaches! This has absolutely no relation to the volume, as I tend to keep it at no greater than 60-75%. Instead, I believe it to be caused by the unneeded pressure exerted by the two soft pads on the upper ring of the cans, that push down on your head. I've found myself readjusting the position countless times, and it's almost passive now for me to have to rotate the two soft pads forward and back after a certain amount of time due to aches. Though at first it seems insignificant, I can feel a light pressure, which accumulates after half an hour or so, progressing to a headache. Maybe I have a large head (to which arguably I don't, since most hats seem to fit just fine), I really don't know. I know it also to not be anything else causing the headaches, sicne I'm not currently on any medications, and don't experience any headaches when not using the cans.

So, I turn to this communities expertise. What are my options?

Apr 17, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 4
Great to hear you like the 669s...well the sound that is :wink:
I haven't found any problems with the pressure, yes they clamp pretty tight, but not uncomfortably so.

Can you bend the two upper pads, with some unsubtle force? Maybe you can remove them completely...I think these two pads aren't even necessary to keep the headphones well fitted on your head, the clamping force is big enough.

Well I have tried to bend the pads with my pair and it seems to work, without breaking them :)

Apr 17, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 4
Well, I went ahead and tried at first to remove the 2 screws, hoping to pull out the two upper pads, but the bottom screw is next to impossible to get to. The screws should have been oriented on the outside for easier access. I didn't want to take any chances, so that was that. After your post however, I realized a much easier, non-invasive method. I took two zipties and after pulling the two upper pads as far upwards and back, I looped the ziptie closed so the pad now rests on top of the ziptie, on either side. Seems to work very well, and didn't take much effort! Thank you for your innovative insight my friend, you've not only saved my 669's but in the process, you've also cured my headache! :D

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #4 of 4
Congrats!
Good to hear it all worked out, have fun with your HD669s!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back