Superlux HD661 vs HD668B from mobile device
Jul 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

laserpenguin

New Head-Fier
I have been searching for high quality headphones around the $50 mark and have come across the HD661 and HD668b by Superlux. People claim that the HD668b is an excellent headphone for the cost, but i don't appreciate the looks of it. The HD661 is much more appealing to me and is more portable, but less is known about it, though the few reviewers seem to think as highly of it as they do of the 668b.

I will primarily be using this headphone when i am studying or doing homework, so it will be plugged directly into my android phone. The songs I will be playing are 320 kbps mp3's. I listen mostly to alternative, electronic (house and dubstep in particular), pop, and rock.

My question is, which headphone will sound better coming directly from my mobile device and for my music choice? I've heard that the HD661 is easier to drive than the HD668b and has a more pronounced treble that sounds better in alternative and rock songs, but then again the HD668b is regarded so highly by everyone who owns it....

Thank you for helping me decide!

Jul 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
I have been searching for high quality headphones around the $50 mark and have come across the HD661 and HD668b by Superlux. People claim that the HD668b is an excellent headphone for the cost, but i don't appreciate the looks of it. The HD661 is much more appealing to me and is more portable, but less is known about it, though the few reviewers seem to think as highly of it as they do of the 668b.

I will primarily be using this headphone when i am studying or doing homework, so it will be plugged directly into my android phone. The songs I will be playing are 320 kbps mp3's. I listen mostly to alternative, electronic (house and dubstep in particular), pop, and rock.

My question is, which headphone will sound better coming directly from my mobile device and for my music choice? I've heard that the HD661 is easier to drive than the HD668b and has a more pronounced treble that sounds better in alternative and rock songs, but then again the HD668b is regarded so highly by everyone who owns it....

Thank you for helping me decide!

The HD668B is semi-open, you get to hear all the noise around you and when traveling some might hear your noise.
HD661 closed, block noise both ways.

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 6
I really like the hd661. I'm getting good sound using the headphones with my clip+ and galaxy S ( with voodoo sound. I also have the 668 but I would not use them outside the house.

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #4 of 6
I really like the hd661. I'm getting good sound using the headphones with my clip+ and galaxy S ( with voodoo sound. I also have the 668 but I would not use them outside the house.

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 6
I have the HD661 and I love them.  Value for money for the price. 

Problem I have is comfort. Just be careful there...it could hurt if u have 'big' ears. It can get sweaty too. Max I can hold them for 45 mins to 1 hour. But my other family members have no issues with comfort. So... :)

HD661 easy to drive...no issues there...of course an amp would make it awesome...but it still does the job as is.

Ok, now the question of sound. These are made for Professional Monitoring...so their intention is to be flat. Which they are really good at.

I find them well flat...good mids and highs (bright-ish)...decent soundstage. Bass is decent, sub-bass is lacking.

This are my current EQ settings that please my ears:

You will not get the whole 3D effect...you know the boom box kind. 
I don't prefer them for movie watching. But for Music, they are awesome for the price.

Ok, for me...out of the box, the sound was crap. I did a burn in for a fewdays. Burn in really really helped. They are well mature now :)

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

I own the HD661 and an OEM version of the HD668B, the Samson SR850, and much prefer the Samson, which I feel is an absolutely outrageous deal for the price.  Both can be driven by my iPhone without a problem.  After owing the Samson I realized that I prefer an open or semi open headphone to a closed one for the soundstage.  I wouldn't say that the HD661 has a more pronounced treble. Both I think would be considered to be "bright" headphones, which I personally prefer, but I find the Samson to be more refined and less harsh than the HD661.  I don't think you can go wrong with either, but if the sound leakage doesn't bother you, I'd recommend the HD668B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back