Superlux HD 669
Apr 22, 2011 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

agua

New Head-Fier

I went ahead and bought the Superlux 669 1 week ago.

I wanted some portable cans that had a great neutral sound at a low price.

I have mixed feelings about these cans.

Portability= 1 outta 10.... these are NOT meant to be portable, I repeat, they're NOT meant to be portable.

These are monsters, bigger than full sized cans. The frame is  hideous and embarrassing to carry around in public. I'm not the type that cares too much about appearances or about other people's opinions, but these were a joke. The frame sticks out at a comical rate. Why/how were these designed this way? Even if they were only meant to be studio reference headphones, there is no purpose why the frame has to stick out the way it does.

I'm sure you guys have read about how uncomfortable they are? I didn't think they'd be that uncomfortable, was I wrong. These things were so uncomfortable they left my jaw hurting and I could feel the clamp on my head a day later. It was almost a chore to wear these things. I used to leave them stretched on a home theater speaker to loosen them up, and even then, the clamp was still strong. Another note I must mention..... I usually wear my headphones around my neck, but these things choke you. I have a skinny neck, and yet these things managed to put pressure around my neck, so much so, that I just carried these monsters in my hand.

The earpads are hard and create instant sweat... not good for the upcoming hot Summer days here in L.A. Ahh... but some mentioned replacing these with a pair of velour earpads from AKG. 

Not good.

While the AKG earpads are more comfortable, they took away any bass or lows these cans did manage to produce. It was something that was too noticeable to ignore, so I had to put the originals back on. Perhaps thicker earpads would've helped, at this point I don't want to waste another $25.

Next.... the sound.

I must admit, 1 week may not be enough time to break them in, but judging from my 1st week I'm disappointed in the sound. 

YES the sound is neutral, but it isn't without its flaws.

Mids and highs are as good as described. Crisp, clear and clean, although I feel that they favor the mids. My biggest disappointment was the lows.

I simply wasn't feeling the lows on a consistent basis. I don't want Dr. Dre earshattering bass, but I want to know that it's there. There's songs that need to be 'felt' because that's what the artists wanted. It isn't an electronic/dance/hip hop thing either, the bass just seemed to lose some of its oomph overall. And if you listen to a lot of dance/hiphop etc. these are not for you. The bass was inconsistent in all of these genres. If the song has an 808, you won't feel it, it'll sound very weak. This wasn't the case with every song, but it seemed to be the case for the majority of the time.  Perhaps with time the bass will get more powerful, but so far I'm disappointed.

In brief:

Portability: 1 outta 10
Comfort: 2 outta 10
Highs: 8 outta 10
Mids: 8 outta 10
Lows: 4 outta 10
Price: 8 outta 10

I'll sell mine for $50 if anybody's interested.

Apr 22, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #2 of 3
The HD669, like you said, are not portable, and should not be evaluated as such. This post should probably be recategorized into the full-sized headphone forum. They are meant to be budget-priced studio monitors, which means they won't have much of a bass emphasis. The second thing is that, while they're not particularly power hungry, they won't be adequately powered directly out of an iPod or other PMP. They do have 50mm drivers, which is just a lot of real estate to push, either way you look at it.

With that being said, I'm not a big fan of the 669 either. Judging from your tastes and response to the 669, you're probably better off with an ATH-M50.

Apr 22, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 3
Only reason I posted this here, was because they were recommended to me in a thread I made a few weeks ago. Thanks for the recommendation, but the ATH-M50 were the cans I made the thread about. 

I didn't wat to have a long cord, so the Superlux were recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back