Superlux HD-662 The " Fat DT-770"
Mar 20, 2013 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Lohb

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone else tried the budget range Superlux HD-662's ? What are they missing from an audiophile perspective given the ultra-cheap price ?
I just bought them as a stop-gap while I choose a pair of modded Fostex or Hifiman HE-400's and the sound is excellent off an entry level DAC.....never mind going through my lovely fat Altoid amp. Warm, deep and fat is bang on the money for the description of these. They sounded dire first few days and I don't know how but they just changed so much or maybe it was me adjusting from other earphones. No idea.
OK, cheap casing and sweaty pads but that is being sorted with some cheap generic velours from ebay.

Are they really like a fat sounding Beyer DT-770 ? If I get this sound quality off these cheapos, really looking forward to what planar magnetics sound like..... !

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #2 of 7
Taping $10 ebay velour pads on the cups and pad stuffing with tissue (yes, that ooooold trick) extends the bass even more and I'd suggest anyone on a real tight budget look at these "uncool brand" headphones if you want a really nice deep and fat sound on the cheap....My EDM collection gives these the thumbs up ! A definite sound signature that is anything but flat.

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Taping $10 ebay velour pads on the cups and pad stuffing with tissue extends the bass even more and I'd suggest anyone on a real tight budget look at these "uncool brand" headphones if you want a really nice deep and fat sound on the cheap....My EDM collection gives these the thumbs up ! A definite sound signature that is anything but flat.

Did you get these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Velour-Cushion-For-Superlux-hd662-Series-hd662b-hd662f-hd-662-b-662f-Headphones-/261184879479?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3ccfd4fb77

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Yep, those are the ones.....went from swimming pool ears with pleather to velvety cushion heaven.They are so light on the head as well that you forget they are there. Bass extension gets better and better...got a temp tissue stuffing inside but will try and get something better under the rim. Yes, the detail is great -
bass is not muddy or loose
and
treble is not bitey or muffled.
Mids great also.
I may look at the new 662 EVO model coming but wait to see if they are up or down in sound quality.
Another great thing is, they run direct off tablets, phones, USB DAC's = another great saving on amping for those on a budget !
Really surprised they are still obscure as they are !!!

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
i recently got the "f" model and do not miss my srh940s anymore. detailmonsters, with beautyful subbass expansion and very impressive soundstage.

The new EVO's in white look very very cool....add on some padded out velours and you should have a sub-$200 killer on the loose.
Shift your spare change into a nice BSG (BioScienceGeek) Burr-Brown amp or Fiio and it will take it up another level again.

Jul 8, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 7
Just in the process of updating my budget audio chain which was posted on this thread....obviously the info is not for the AudioGD DAC/Burson/LCD-3 high rollers.....
atsmile.gif

Changed from 16bit Muse PCM2704 to a HiFimeDIY USB Isolator + Sabre U2 Asyncronous ES9023 DAC (uses same DAC as ODAC I think, on a simpler/budget board.)

I still think it is a really good chain for those on a tighter budget looking for a foothold above mainstream crap.

I have OSX so no foobar/wasapi/Win7 software.......

OSX------>Audirvana+ (spacious detailed soundstage with right settings) (iZotope 64bit-SRC sample rate converter + up-sampling)--->

HiFimeDIY USB Isolator --->

Sabre U2 Asyncronous ES9023 DAC --->

Fiio shielded 3.5" interconnect. (Bye-bye "alien.fm" EMI suck)--->

BSG 18 volt altoid amp with LM4562 opamp. ( LM4562 in high performance category in opamps review by NwAvGuy. High detail and separation) Ability to easily roll opamps in and out of this Altoid amp till you find your sweetspot if LM4562 is not to your taste.------->

Superlux 662+ stuffed, taped on velours. (The poor man's Beyer DT-770's with a dash of Phat bass)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back