Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Is This CMOY Amp and Crossfeed Circuit Any Good? Last post on 9/28/12 at 5:07pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable amp below $50? Last post on 1/6/12 at 6:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- best portable amp with no hiss (under 60 dollars)? Last post on 9/19/11 at 8:55pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- PIMETA v2 or CmoyBB as first project? Last post on 8/1/11 at 2:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- fiio e11, e5, or cmoybb Last post on 8/26/11 at 3:05pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
These are good headphones. I would have preferred a hard carrying case for the headphones, but, when you consider the cost of these cans, the soft carrying bag is acceptable. If you really...
This review is the summary section of Yulong DA8II in-depth review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/779702/yulong-da8ii-in-depth-review Please visit the above thread for more...
[[SPOILER]] Introduction: Aune Audio has been making affordable audiophile products for quite a while now – They have a number of desktop DACs and amplifiers, and recently made an entry into the...
The ATH-CK9LTD’s were purchased by me and I’m not in any way affiliated with Audio-Technica. I’ve reviewed the ATH-CKR9 and ATH-CKR10 earlier, those reviews are available...
Intro: JDS Labs, Is an American company based in Collinsville, Illinois. They make headphone amplifiers & DAC’s. Mr. John Seaber is the man behind JDS Labs. We might remember JDS Labs when they...
- Headphone Impedance
JDS Labs CMOY AMP vs BIOSCIENCEGEEK - Page 2
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Because there is no bass boost switch inside. I'll assume the bass boost is permanent.
I use a JDS 2.03 cmoy BB and I have not heard any hissing with either my etys, UM2, or atrios. YMMV. As the JDS cmoy is so well regarded, if you find you don't like it for whatever reason (I'd be hard pressed to name one), you'll always find a buyer on the FS forum. So, look at it this way. For about $10-$15, you get to spend a couple of months with one of the best cmoy's available. And the BB function is very well executed.
As my cmoy is my "fun" amp, the BB is always on. When you're home, add higher voltage DC and enjoy the bass. I bought this DC and a barrel adapter: http://www.powerstream.com/ac-2405.htm
Adapter is after the jump.
Just stumbled upon this post and figured I might as well end the suspense using the 24V power supply. In two short words, but it. It will open up the cmoyBB in ways you never thought imaginable. I look mine, so much, I ordered two.
Use the reseller I used Good prices and they also sold the adapters to fit the male pins.
Much more slam and authority to the little cmoy. loving it. It's a $20 upgrade. And it's worth every penny. I even schlep the AC adapter to Starbucks. That is how much I love the added current.
I am of little experience but just bought the BSG amp, so I'm hoping that my imput be useful. The guy who makes em allows you to customize your order for no extra charge (select battery options(9V vs 18V), choose an OP amp, select tin type, LED color ect...). with the the extra $20 (vs buying the JSD model) I went out and bought two different OP amps and 2 rechargeable 9V batteries w/charger. It was a plus for me that he ships from fairly close to where I live so shipping time was like 2 days. He also included batteries with the amp when he shipped it. If it sounds about the same as the JSD BB, I'd say that it was a pretty skippy deal for me especially because I got everything that I wanted (18V, virtually silent neutral OP amp, and I got to use it right when it arrived). The BSG so far done a pretty good job at dragging the bass and detail out my $25 pair of etymotics (ETY5K lol).
Are you running it at 9V or 18 volts ?
Will 18 volts provide more kick/volume that 9 volts ?
My 9 volt is at full volume almost with my new Hifiman HE-400's while I choose a desktop amp.
I don't know why BSG does not run 30-day listings vs being on and off ebay.
I missed his listing due to this, so bought a lesser Altoid for the money on ebay 2 months ago.
People will find it either in headphone amps or altoid search terms.
Keep these puppies up on ebay 24/7 !
Edited by Lohb - 4/7/13 at 8:59pm
Here is the cmoy that I just received from BSG.
It is a very nice little amp, pretty impressive .
I ordered mine with op-amp TLE 2082
I have a pair of JVC FX40 iem's coming my way also......this will be my portable rig for on the go.
Just to throw mu 2 cents in; I've been using the JDS for over a year now and loved it with my Shure SRH840s, although for the IE8s I used on the road I preferred a T3. I've now got myself a pair of Westone 3s and found the T3 just didn't do much to improve the sound (using a SD card modded iPod 5.5).
Obviously I'm always looking for ways to spank my credit card and trawling through eBay I came across BioScience Geek's offerings. I love the level of customization, in particular the ability to choose the op-amp. This raises a question regarding the comparisons in the thread with the JDS; surely you need to know what the op amp used in the BSG was?
The JDS uses the OPA2227 which is very warm. The BSG uses the AD712 as standard (I believe, unless you ask for one of the other choices) so unless the BSG used in the comparison also used the OPA2227 I don't feel you can compare them fairly.
I'm just waiting to see whether my W3s can be fine tuned with an AD712 or maybe another more suitable OP-Amp and whether 18v is worth it and then I'll probably pull the trigger on a Dragon tin with a red LED :)
Anyone have any further experience with the BSG and maybe some different op-amps installed?
As it turns out I ended up using them primarily with my Etymotic ER4P with the S cable, and that's exclusively what I use them with now. It does unbelievable wonders with those headphones. No portable unit has ever made them sound good, but this BSG makes it sound as good as home stereo unit of any quality, costing 10 times more. Really brings the bass out and shows you what that Ety is capable of.
Mine is set up with the 9 Volt, which tends to last at least 10 hours, & I can tell when it's ready to be replaced as the LED begins to dim. I also have a great wall unit for it, which tends to actually power it a little bit better than a new battery does. But it works perfectly awesome with just battery power. I run it with a Nano and a line out jack. I have the internal gain switch jumped for the highest setting, which works better with those IEMs.
Makes a stunning hi-end stereo unit on the go, and I've never been disappointed by it even once. It's also built like a tank. The case looks like it's been through hell and back, and it still works flawlessly.
- JDS Labs CMOY AMP vs BIOSCIENCEGEEK
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions. 19 seconds ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions 49 seconds ago
- › Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R 1 minute ago
- › In the market for new IEMs under $200 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Gungnir DAC 1 minute ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 2 minutes ago
- › Cozoy Aegis - 192kHz 24bit DAC/amp - Compatible with Android and iOS! 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › Review: Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves in Crystal Blue for the Shure... 3 minutes ago
- › Post Your Photography Here #2 (new dial-up 800X600 friendly) 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH840 by Double-A
- › Yulong Audio DA8 II by earfonia
- › Aune X1S 32Bit/384KHz DSD DAC Headphone Amplifier black by avitron142
- › Audio-technica Ath-m50 Studio Monitor Headphones Limited Red Model... by peter123
- › JDS Labs ODAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Westone UM Pro10 High Performance Single Driver Noise-Isolating... by ShaftShanker
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Pokemonn
- › Brainwavz Jive by peter123
- › SoundMAGIC E50S In Ear Isolating Earphones with Microphone - RED by pformagg
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by Malfunkt
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2