Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Is This CMOY Amp and Crossfeed Circuit Any Good? Last post on 9/28/12 at 5:07pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable amp below $50? Last post on 1/6/12 at 6:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- best portable amp with no hiss (under 60 dollars)? Last post on 9/19/11 at 8:55pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- PIMETA v2 or CmoyBB as first project? Last post on 8/1/11 at 2:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- fiio e11, e5, or cmoybb Last post on 8/26/11 at 3:05pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
About Me: I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair...
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
These are just plain excellent. I was never really a believer in IEMs, but I am now. These Philips SHE3590s are a real eye-opener. According to the ratings here on Head-Fi, these do, in fact,...
Lately it seems that almost every week there are new (or at least unheard of by most) companies releasing new DAPs (Digital Audio Players). This is great for the consumer because more products...
Vibro Labs - Maya Review November 2016 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Firstly a thanks to Ejong7 & Luke Pighetti @ Vibro labs for...
JDS Labs CMOY AMP vs BIOSCIENCEGEEK - Page 2post #16 of 3612/2/12 at 9:53pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #17 of 3612/2/12 at 10:01pmQuote:
Because there is no bass boost switch inside. I'll assume the bass boost is permanent.post #18 of 3612/26/12 at 1:39pmpost #19 of 361/3/13 at 8:46pm
I use a JDS 2.03 cmoy BB and I have not heard any hissing with either my etys, UM2, or atrios. YMMV. As the JDS cmoy is so well regarded, if you find you don't like it for whatever reason (I'd be hard pressed to name one), you'll always find a buyer on the FS forum. So, look at it this way. For about $10-$15, you get to spend a couple of months with one of the best cmoy's available. And the BB function is very well executed.
As my cmoy is my "fun" amp, the BB is always on. When you're home, add higher voltage DC and enjoy the bass. I bought this DC and a barrel adapter: http://www.powerstream.com/ac-2405.htm
Adapter is after the jump.post #20 of 361/12/13 at 12:55pm
Just stumbled upon this post and figured I might as well end the suspense using the 24V power supply. In two short words, but it. It will open up the cmoyBB in ways you never thought imaginable. I look mine, so much, I ordered two.
Use the reseller I used Good prices and they also sold the adapters to fit the male pins.
Much more slam and authority to the little cmoy. loving it. It's a $20 upgrade. And it's worth every penny. I even schlep the AC adapter to Starbucks. That is how much I love the added current.post #21 of 364/1/13 at 7:33pm
I am of little experience but just bought the BSG amp, so I'm hoping that my imput be useful. The guy who makes em allows you to customize your order for no extra charge (select battery options(9V vs 18V), choose an OP amp, select tin type, LED color ect...). with the the extra $20 (vs buying the JSD model) I went out and bought two different OP amps and 2 rechargeable 9V batteries w/charger. It was a plus for me that he ships from fairly close to where I live so shipping time was like 2 days. He also included batteries with the amp when he shipped it. If it sounds about the same as the JSD BB, I'd say that it was a pretty skippy deal for me especially because I got everything that I wanted (18V, virtually silent neutral OP amp, and I got to use it right when it arrived). The BSG so far done a pretty good job at dragging the bass and detail out my $25 pair of etymotics (ETY5K lol).post #22 of 364/2/13 at 7:38ampost #23 of 364/6/13 at 6:39ampost #24 of 364/7/13 at 8:54pm
Are you running it at 9V or 18 volts ?
Will 18 volts provide more kick/volume that 9 volts ?
My 9 volt is at full volume almost with my new Hifiman HE-400's while I choose a desktop amp.
I don't know why BSG does not run 30-day listings vs being on and off ebay.
I missed his listing due to this, so bought a lesser Altoid for the money on ebay 2 months ago.
People will find it either in headphone amps or altoid search terms.
Keep these puppies up on ebay 24/7 !
Edited by Lohb - 4/7/13 at 8:59pmpost #25 of 364/8/13 at 2:30pm
Here is the cmoy that I just received from BSG.
It is a very nice little amp, pretty impressive .
I ordered mine with op-amp TLE 2082
I have a pair of JVC FX40 iem's coming my way also......this will be my portable rig for on the go.post #26 of 364/9/13 at 10:14pmpost #27 of 364/13/13 at 5:10ampost #28 of 366/9/13 at 1:32pmpost #29 of 369/30/13 at 1:34am
Just to throw mu 2 cents in; I've been using the JDS for over a year now and loved it with my Shure SRH840s, although for the IE8s I used on the road I preferred a T3. I've now got myself a pair of Westone 3s and found the T3 just didn't do much to improve the sound (using a SD card modded iPod 5.5).
Obviously I'm always looking for ways to spank my credit card and trawling through eBay I came across BioScience Geek's offerings. I love the level of customization, in particular the ability to choose the op-amp. This raises a question regarding the comparisons in the thread with the JDS; surely you need to know what the op amp used in the BSG was?
The JDS uses the OPA2227 which is very warm. The BSG uses the AD712 as standard (I believe, unless you ask for one of the other choices) so unless the BSG used in the comparison also used the OPA2227 I don't feel you can compare them fairly.
I'm just waiting to see whether my W3s can be fine tuned with an AD712 or maybe another more suitable OP-Amp and whether 18v is worth it and then I'll probably pull the trigger on a Dragon tin with a red LED :)
Anyone have any further experience with the BSG and maybe some different op-amps installed?post #30 of 369/30/13 at 5:21amFor sure I posted it somewhere on this thread or a similar one, but being unfamiliar with op amps I simply let Sanjay know which headphones I'd be using the BSG amp with primarily. At the time I ended up with one specifically designed for the Beyerdynamic DT 880 600-Ohm version.
As it turns out I ended up using them primarily with my Etymotic ER4P with the S cable, and that's exclusively what I use them with now. It does unbelievable wonders with those headphones. No portable unit has ever made them sound good, but this BSG makes it sound as good as home stereo unit of any quality, costing 10 times more. Really brings the bass out and shows you what that Ety is capable of.
Mine is set up with the 9 Volt, which tends to last at least 10 hours, & I can tell when it's ready to be replaced as the LED begins to dim. I also have a great wall unit for it, which tends to actually power it a little bit better than a new battery does. But it works perfectly awesome with just battery power. I run it with a Nano and a line out jack. I have the internal gain switch jumped for the highest setting, which works better with those IEMs.
Makes a stunning hi-end stereo unit on the go, and I've never been disappointed by it even once. It's also built like a tank. The case looks like it's been through hell and back, and it still works flawlessly.
- JDS Labs CMOY AMP vs BIOSCIENCEGEEK
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 22 seconds ago
- › Absolute best budget earbuds? 23 seconds ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 1 minute ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Upcoming DAP from xDuoo - the X10! 5 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 5 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions 6 minutes ago
- › What exactly do I need ? 8 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 800 AMP? 8 minutes ago
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by Takeanidea
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32 Stereo Bluetooth Wireless Headphones with... by e07015
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by dnun8086
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear