Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Is This CMOY Amp and Crossfeed Circuit Any Good? Last post on 9/28/12 at 5:07pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable amp below $50? Last post on 1/6/12 at 6:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- best portable amp with no hiss (under 60 dollars)? Last post on 9/19/11 at 8:55pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- PIMETA v2 or CmoyBB as first project? Last post on 8/1/11 at 2:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- fiio e11, e5, or cmoybb Last post on 8/26/11 at 3:05pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Before I begin with my review of the Beyerdynamic XP1, all of the below are solely what I’ve managed to get out of the IEM, I suggest to try it out or read some other people’s review to get a...
See The Whole Review With Pictures Here: http://db-headphones.blogspot.com ... Oh and ignore the sliders for the audio quality, value etc. I can't edit the slider scoring on mobile. Disclaimer: I...
Disclaimer First of all, huge thanks to Audrey and the Brainwavz team for giving me the opportunity to write this review. Please note that I was not paid to write this review, nor am I...
First, the normal boilerplate stuff - Audio setup - FLAC files in MEdia Monkey -> Amazon Basics TOSLINK cable -> Schiit Bifrost w/Uber upgrade -> Knukoncept Shielded RCAS -> Project Ember...
Here are my impressions of the Fiio X1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEj0wLE-ojU
- Headphone Impedance
JDS Labs CMOY AMP vs BIOSCIENCEGEEK - Page 2
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Because there is no bass boost switch inside. I'll assume the bass boost is permanent.
I use a JDS 2.03 cmoy BB and I have not heard any hissing with either my etys, UM2, or atrios. YMMV. As the JDS cmoy is so well regarded, if you find you don't like it for whatever reason (I'd be hard pressed to name one), you'll always find a buyer on the FS forum. So, look at it this way. For about $10-$15, you get to spend a couple of months with one of the best cmoy's available. And the BB function is very well executed.
As my cmoy is my "fun" amp, the BB is always on. When you're home, add higher voltage DC and enjoy the bass. I bought this DC and a barrel adapter: http://www.powerstream.com/ac-2405.htm
Adapter is after the jump.
Just stumbled upon this post and figured I might as well end the suspense using the 24V power supply. In two short words, but it. It will open up the cmoyBB in ways you never thought imaginable. I look mine, so much, I ordered two.
Use the reseller I used Good prices and they also sold the adapters to fit the male pins.
Much more slam and authority to the little cmoy. loving it. It's a $20 upgrade. And it's worth every penny. I even schlep the AC adapter to Starbucks. That is how much I love the added current.
I am of little experience but just bought the BSG amp, so I'm hoping that my imput be useful. The guy who makes em allows you to customize your order for no extra charge (select battery options(9V vs 18V), choose an OP amp, select tin type, LED color ect...). with the the extra $20 (vs buying the JSD model) I went out and bought two different OP amps and 2 rechargeable 9V batteries w/charger. It was a plus for me that he ships from fairly close to where I live so shipping time was like 2 days. He also included batteries with the amp when he shipped it. If it sounds about the same as the JSD BB, I'd say that it was a pretty skippy deal for me especially because I got everything that I wanted (18V, virtually silent neutral OP amp, and I got to use it right when it arrived). The BSG so far done a pretty good job at dragging the bass and detail out my $25 pair of etymotics (ETY5K lol).
Yes, I wonder if the 18volt BSG would do any good with HiFiMan HE-400's as I hear they are not that bad to drive vs Fostex Orthos....
Anyone comment on that pair up please ! ?
Are you running it at 9V or 18 volts ?
Will 18 volts provide more kick/volume that 9 volts ?
My 9 volt is at full volume almost with my new Hifiman HE-400's while I choose a desktop amp.
I don't know why BSG does not run 30-day listings vs being on and off ebay.
I missed his listing due to this, so bought a lesser Altoid for the money on ebay 2 months ago.
People will find it either in headphone amps or altoid search terms.
Keep these puppies up on ebay 24/7 !
Edited by Lohb - 4/7/13 at 8:59pm
Here is the cmoy that I just received from BSG.
It is a very nice little amp, pretty impressive .
I ordered mine with op-amp TLE 2082
I have a pair of JVC FX40 iem's coming my way also......this will be my portable rig for on the go.
Just to throw mu 2 cents in; I've been using the JDS for over a year now and loved it with my Shure SRH840s, although for the IE8s I used on the road I preferred a T3. I've now got myself a pair of Westone 3s and found the T3 just didn't do much to improve the sound (using a SD card modded iPod 5.5).
Obviously I'm always looking for ways to spank my credit card and trawling through eBay I came across BioScience Geek's offerings. I love the level of customization, in particular the ability to choose the op-amp. This raises a question regarding the comparisons in the thread with the JDS; surely you need to know what the op amp used in the BSG was?
The JDS uses the OPA2227 which is very warm. The BSG uses the AD712 as standard (I believe, unless you ask for one of the other choices) so unless the BSG used in the comparison also used the OPA2227 I don't feel you can compare them fairly.
I'm just waiting to see whether my W3s can be fine tuned with an AD712 or maybe another more suitable OP-Amp and whether 18v is worth it and then I'll probably pull the trigger on a Dragon tin with a red LED :)
Anyone have any further experience with the BSG and maybe some different op-amps installed?
As it turns out I ended up using them primarily with my Etymotic ER4P with the S cable, and that's exclusively what I use them with now. It does unbelievable wonders with those headphones. No portable unit has ever made them sound good, but this BSG makes it sound as good as home stereo unit of any quality, costing 10 times more. Really brings the bass out and shows you what that Ety is capable of.
Mine is set up with the 9 Volt, which tends to last at least 10 hours, & I can tell when it's ready to be replaced as the LED begins to dim. I also have a great wall unit for it, which tends to actually power it a little bit better than a new battery does. But it works perfectly awesome with just battery power. I run it with a Nano and a line out jack. I have the internal gain switch jumped for the highest setting, which works better with those IEMs.
Makes a stunning hi-end stereo unit on the go, and I've never been disappointed by it even once. It's also built like a tank. The case looks like it's been through hell and back, and it still works flawlessly.
- JDS Labs CMOY AMP vs BIOSCIENCEGEEK
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Audio-GD Master 9 24 seconds ago
- › Beyerdynamic T1, Mint, detachable cable mod, Stock & DHC cables 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Speaker amps for headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO E18 Review 4 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 5 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic XP1 by SawItComing
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS77 SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan Import) by DisCHORDDubstep
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by thatBeatsguy
- › Fostex TH 900 by smitty1110
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by aquamacs
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM02 balanced amature inner earphone by thatonenoob
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by thatonenoob
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by H20Fidelity
- › Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 by smitty1110
- › Shure SE215 by SawItComing
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)