Sunglasses!
Apr 30, 2003 at 2:29 AM Post #16 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
Rudy Project was kind enough to sponsor my lazy ass so I better get my plug in. Seriously, these are some great great sunglasses. Not really well known in the states except by cyclists and rowers. www.rudyprojectusa.com

Maybe it's 'cause I'm a cyclist.. but I'll second this recommendation.. Rudy Project makes some great shades... I've got the Rudy Project Tayo and I'm looking to buy a pair of Freeon and Ekynox in the near future...

Plus, they have a lifetime lens replacement guarantee for scratched lenses.. (Although I the shipping costs are $15 for the first set of lenses, and $5 every other lens...) Still cheaper than buying a new pair of lenses or sunglasses altogether..
biggrin.gif

Also.. look on eBay for good deals on Rudy Project.. They tend to sell well below MSRP, as nobody really knows about Rudy Project..
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2003 at 3:02 AM Post #17 of 65
I think I'm interested more in sophisticated, casual shades than sporty, chunky, wrap-around-your-head models. Thanks for the suggestions; please keep 'em coming!

Apr 30, 2003 at 3:02 AM Post #18 of 65
i love oakleys. but only the wires, cos:

1. i need metal frames, so i could shape them
2. i need adjustable nose pads, cos i don't have much of a nosebridge
3. nothing else fits or looks right on my huge head.

my first Oakleys were the original e-wires (Oakley RX'ed for my prescription) from at least five years ago. they never failed me. never had any loose lenses, no scratches whatsoever (always kept it in the microfiber bag, and kept that in the soft vault), never wore it on top of my head (people will insist on doing this to their high end sunglasses; this bends them out of shape and hair can easily scratch the lenses), and if they do get bent by accident, i just reshape them.

then i bought a pair of 00 Square as prescription eyeglasses. Oakley frames look great as eyeglasses. i also have another pair of 00 square in gold iridium.

then i bought a rare Square Wire 135mm in black iridium. they look different than run of the mill Square Wires cos the lenses on these are more trapezoidical looking.

now i use a pair of E-Wire 2.1 in black iridium with contact lenses, and i have another pair of E-Wire 2.1 as presciption eyeglasses. when eyeglass frames are wraps, they look COOL!!!
cool.gif

lately i've been itching to get a pair of A-Wire 2.0 in ice lenses. they look mighty cool. i wish i could wear a pair of Juliets, but they don't fit me.
frown.gif

anyway, most of the Oakley Wire models do not cost TOO MUCH. they're pretty reasonable at $140 a pair, and that's A LOT cheaper than the X-metal line. besides, the Wire models are very nice, sophisticated casual looking. if you choose your colors and frames right, they don't look at all chunky or sporty or even silly looking.

yeah... i collect Oakleys.
biggrin.gif
and i can tell a knock-off just by looking at it.

Apr 30, 2003 at 3:04 AM Post #19 of 65
Maui Jims. You will pay out your ass for them, but you will get the best damn pair of sunglasses you will ever own. Amazingly clear glass lenses, polarized, and durable as hell, mine are 3-4 years old and look brand new. They don't so much make things darker, but they make everything clearer, no more glare. Drop buy sunglass hut and check them out, I was sold when I first put them on.

I have these and I will buy another pair when I wear them out (which will be a very long time from now). They will replace the lenses for $60ish I think, but I cannot do without them for over a day or so. They are around $200 for the pair. BEST $200 I EVER SPENT.

You can get them with perscription lenses in them but the price doubles.

Buying a pair of unpolarized sunglasses is pointless, IMO.

Apr 30, 2003 at 3:19 AM Post #20 of 65
im old school. i got ray ban aviators in silver frame and pinkish red lenses [size=xx-small]( medium size-notlarge or small)[/size] - ($65 shipped)

i also have a gucci aviator silver frame and blue lenses ($150)

i also have oakley twenty for sports / biking/etc....

i also have ........

lots of sunglasses to post ......

Apr 30, 2003 at 3:25 AM Post #21 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by screwdriver
i also have a gucci aviator silver frame and blue lenses ($150)

lots of sunglasses to post ......

ooh, those sound nice! i have a thing for blue lenses (but am not committed to them necessarily). btw, i wear contacts and don't need rx.

feel free to post all the suggestions you like! I'll go hunting for pictures later on.

Apr 30, 2003 at 3:38 AM Post #22 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Guardian
I think I'm interested more in sophisticated, casual shades than sporty, chunky, wrap-around-your-head models. Thanks for the suggestions; please keep 'em coming!

Rudy Project has some nice metal framed ones, too
wink.gif

Apr 30, 2003 at 5:40 AM Post #23 of 65
Hey, I got a question for you guys:

I once bought a pair of cheap sunglasses (cue ZZ Top) from a vendor on the street in DC, and these sunglasses were awesome! They seemed to actually accentuate colours, and sometimes make things "brighter" (and no, I was not on drugs at the time). No, not brighter in the sense of lumens, but just more "lively". The sunglasses themselves were pretty dark. Almost like that tint that some people put in their car windows.

Anyone know what the L I am talking about, and if so, how to reproduce this desired effect?

WRT sunglasses, I am usually on team 7-11*! I only do wraparound sunglasses, because I drive the beltway every day (approximately one-third of it), so get hit by the sun on all sides, and I use my peripheral vision a lot.

[size=xx-small]*or other convenience and grocery stores.[/size]

Apr 30, 2003 at 5:52 AM Post #24 of 65
As a "white boy" living in the Caribbean, I absolutely NEED skin protection and sunglasses. I'm 100% with CaptBubba concerning Maui Jim's. These are the Orpheus of sunglasses (or R10's or Omega II's, whatever your preference). They're definitely high end and definitely worth the ticket price!

Maui Jim's do amazing things for your eyes and provide BY FAR the highest UV protection. They "resolve" like you cannot believe and show you "detail" that you had never seen before even on the most familiar... seriously, everything just comes to life instantly and there is no more squinting! I've tried REVOs and Oakleys in years past but they're not in the same league.

BTW, with skin protection, anything with SPF15 or higher will do - it's just a matter finding the right scent and the right girl to help with the application...

Apr 30, 2003 at 5:59 AM Post #25 of 65
I've been waiting for an excuse to pimp this photo:
biggrin.gif

DarkMage.JPG

Being in a plague-infested city has its perks too...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 30, 2003 at 6:03 AM Post #27 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
I've been waiting for an excuse to pimp this photo:
biggrin.gif

LMAO @ that pic.
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2003 at 6:13 AM Post #28 of 65
I'll chime in for the oakley's. I own about 7 pair of them and use them for everything. biking, emt work, firefighting vehicle extrication (as safety glasses) and just for sunglasses. and if you buy them from the right store (not sunglass hut) and they are an authorized oakley dealer (meaning they sell alot of oakley's) you most likely will be able to have them sent back to oakley for replacement no matter what the problem. I had one pair that cracked (the frame) part way through and took it to the store where I buy them from and the guy just snapped it in half and sent it back and I get a brand new pair of frames. and I have done this numerous times. not just with the plastic frames but also with the aluminum ones. and if you take care of them they really do not scratch that easily. I also have the snow goggles for snowboarding and they are without a doubt the best no fog goggles I have ever used. I always go back to the saying "you get what you pay for" and that's true for just about anything. IMO of course.

Apr 30, 2003 at 6:49 AM Post #29 of 65
Apart form the requisite Oakleys (X-Metal), I have a pair of Diesel Aviators. Here's my son looking a lot better than I do in them.
coolalec1.jpg

Apr 30, 2003 at 6:59 AM Post #30 of 65
I really like the lenses on Revo and Serengeti. The amber lenses increase contrast, yet aren't too artificially orange.

The contrast enchancement becomes hard to live without once you get used to it.

Good deals can be had for each on ebay, but I'd try the frames on elsewhere first to see what looks good on you.

Serengeti driving sunglasses are often photochromic too, a little gimmicky but comes in handy in changing light conditions.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back