Sunglass-Fi?
Jun 12, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #106 of 414
Can anyone recommend a "Koss KSC75 of sunglasses?"

Unfortunately I'm cursed with picky tastes in sunglasses, and I also live in Dallas where you pretty much need to wear sunglasses, or rock the cowboy hat. Since the cowboy hat doesn't go with the sneakers, I need some sunglasses.

I used to work at a marina and sunglasses were extremely important and my main criteria were optical clarity, and the sunglasses staying on my head to the extent that I could forget about them being on and just go about my antics, even if that means hanging upside down or whatever. I WILL forget I'm wearing them if they are decent sunglasses.

I ended up, after dropping a couple Bolle in the lake, buying a WileyX pair that had the tacky head-strap. The head-strap worked and wasn't out of place at the marina where people wakeboard and so on. I wore them for a very long time. After moving to Dallas I ditched the headstrap and still had a good pair of shades, until someone stole them off my desk at work.

I haven't replaced them because Oakley et. al. are so expensive at retail stores. I tried buying a $15 pair of polarized walmart specials for my recent trip to San Antonio, just to have something to drive with. I left them in the hotel room, the optical quality was so bad.

I just want a fairly universally and professionally stylish, unpolarized, lightweight and/or well-fitting pair of sunglasses with what I consider reasonably optical quality. Do I really need to buy a $200 pair of Oakleys? I don't care about the brand and I know the markup is insane.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #107 of 414
Yes. Go to Steepandcheap.com and watch it like a hawk. They've been blowing out Costa Del Mar and Oakley like nobody's business in the 65%-75% range. Download the Firefox applet if you don't want to constantly check the site and it'll monitor it for you.

I don't mean to bash other people's choice in shades, but Oakleys do not have good lenses and a LOT of them aren't polarized. You will seriously destroy your eyes if you regularly look into the sun through non-polarized lenses. Don't spend any money on them unless you can get them cheap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone recommend a "Koss KSC75 of sunglasses?"

Unfortunately I'm cursed with picky tastes in sunglasses, and I also live in Dallas where you pretty much need to wear sunglasses, or rock the cowboy hat. Since the cowboy hat doesn't go with the sneakers, I need some sunglasses.

I used to work at a marina and sunglasses were extremely important and my main criteria were optical clarity, and the sunglasses staying on my head to the extent that I could forget about them being on and just go about my antics, even if that means hanging upside down or whatever. I WILL forget I'm wearing them if they are decent sunglasses.

I ended up, after dropping a couple Bolle in the lake, buying a WileyX pair that had the tacky head-strap. The head-strap worked and wasn't out of place at the marina where people wakeboard and so on. I wore them for a very long time. After moving to Dallas I ditched the headstrap and still had a good pair of shades, until someone stole them off my desk at work.

I haven't replaced them because Oakley et. al. are so expensive at retail stores. I tried buying a $15 pair of polarized walmart specials for my recent trip to San Antonio, just to have something to drive with. I left them in the hotel room, the optical quality was so bad.

I just want a fairly universally and professionally stylish, unpolarized, lightweight and/or well-fitting pair of sunglasses with what I consider reasonably optical quality. Do I really need to buy a $200 pair of Oakleys? I don't care about the brand and I know the markup is insane.

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #108 of 414
In the past I've had fives, half jackets and whiskers.

Now only have the Flak Jackets.

Jun 12, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #109 of 414
i was under the impression that oakleys lenses were quite good, but then i have only had cheapys and oakleys

but the juliets fit me a dream and i love how the fire lenses make everything more vibrant

Jun 12, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #110 of 414
oakley are the best glasses/lenses i've had by far, crystal clear to my eyes. i'd be interested to hear why some people don't think they're good.

it's a comedy hearing that when you have designer brands who just knock out aviators/generic design with a huge price tag.

there are no other brands on the market that you let you design your own and look as good that i've seen. you specify whether they're polarized or not.

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #112 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by ċãţ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oakley are the best glasses/lenses i've had by far, crystal clear to my eyes. i'd be interested to hear why some people don't think they're good.

it's a comedy hearing that when you have designer brands who just knock out aviators/generic design with a huge price tag.

there are no other brands on the market that you let you design your own and look as good that i've seen. you specify whether they're polarized or not.

There's a difference between the fashion houses making a cheap pair of glasses with an insane price tag and a true set of quality lenses that are worth what they cost. Oakleys just don't have top tier lenses, especially for what they charge. Maybe their prescription stuff is different, but the off-the-shelf models aren't great. If you like them, more power to you. But if you go to a quality glasses shop and work your way through their lineup, you'll literally see the difference. I am partial to Maui Jim lenses, which are incredibly clear, but I also can't/won't afford some of the more esoteric brands that are supposedly better so I try not to dig into them too much.

Try a set of Costa 580 lenses if you can get them on a blowout from one of the outdoor wholesalers...I really like Costas, especially if you want people to notice what you're wearing.

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #113 of 414
I used to have two pairs of Maui Jim Wailea. It took me ages to adjust the nose bits to get the perfect fit. There was lens distortion around the edges, objects were not where they should be. It's far less noticeable in Oakley Juliet. Beside that, Juliet was cheaper. But Maui Jim provided a storage case with each pair.

Jun 13, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #114 of 414
What's everyone's favourite tint ? Mine is black (neutral contrast) at present. Brown has good contrast but the colour doesn't conjure happiness for me. Maui Jim's maui rose is unique, it's light brown with a tint of pink, the colour is neither dark nor light, it's just right.

Jun 13, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #115 of 414
am an oakley fan i have black iridium oakley fives, black iridium magnesium switch, square wire 2.0 fire lens, x-metal rubyred juliet and oakley penny titanium vr28 lens and xtra liquid metal lens for the penny and extra deep blue iridium lens for the juliet...

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #117 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by amf.123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oakley seem pretty popular here, anyone know how the price of the new Pit Boss is justified?

Oakley has always been a little on the high side with their pricing, but if they are titanium and not the Oakley Plastic stuff, they may be justifiable to some. I've got a friend who's probably going to buy them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's everyone's favourite tint ? Mine is black (neutral contrast) at present. Brown has good contrast but the colour doesn't conjure happiness for me. Maui Jim's maui rose is unique, it's light brown with a tint of pink, the colour is neither dark nor light, it's just right.

I wear reflective dark blue (some sort of iridium shade I can't seem to find).

Oh, if I didn't mention it before, I've got Half-Jackets in that shade as sunglasses with black Bottle Rocket 2.0s as my daily glasses.

Jun 14, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #119 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mirror black for my daily drivers. I run in a pair with mirror blue though.

Jun 15, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #120 of 414
I love my KA'ANAPALI 501-02 by Maui Jim.

djren12-albums-stuff-picture2675-img-0445.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back