Summit-Fi Random Thoughts
Mar 10, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #391 of 517
So, I was on this date with this beautiful girl tonight. I said I was into high-end headphones. She's like, I know those...the ones with the B on the side, right? I said, Beats? She said yeah. I was like, well, those cost $300 and I'm talking about $6K headphones like Abyss and Hifiman. She was floored at the cost :beyersmile: She's like, who would buy those? I said audiophiles. She was still floored. :beyersmile:

Normal people can't understand our hobby. $6k headphones seems so outrageous to them, but it's normal for us Summit-fi folks. Sh!t was just funny to me :beyersmile:. I didn't tell her I had $18k headphones at one point :beyersmile:

Lmao. Glad the date went well lol

At the end of the day the equipment doubles as an emergency savings fund. If you ever need cash immediately for something serious, you can liquidate all of the gear at only a relatively small loss if you take care of it. That to me makes it completely justifiable lol

Mar 10, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #392 of 517
So, I was on this date with this beautiful girl tonight. I said I was into high-end headphones. She's like, I know those...the ones with the B on the side, right? I said, Beats? She said yeah. I was like, well, those cost $300 and I'm talking about $6K headphones like Abyss and Hifiman. She was floored at the cost :beyersmile: She's like, who would buy those? I said audiophiles. She was still floored. :beyersmile:

Normal people can't understand our hobby. $6k headphones seems so outrageous to them, but it's normal for us Summit-fi folks. Sh!t was just funny to me :beyersmile:. I didn't tell her I had $18k headphones at one point :beyersmile:
You missed the opportunity to ask her if she’d like to listen back at your spot.

Mar 10, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #393 of 517
1710086156652.png

Mar 10, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #394 of 517
Mar 10, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #395 of 517
Luckily, she is. She’s got fancy sh!t too, so it’s not a big deal to her that I have expensive hobbies. She was just super surprised that there were $6k headphones. I found it funny she thought the best you could buy are Beats, and I suspect most normal people think that too.
conversation with normal people:

Rule #1: you don’t talk about headphones

Rule #2: you don’t talk about you are into headphones

Rule #3: you don’t ever admit you are an audiophile

Rule #4: under no circumstance should you ever reveal how much you spent on headphones

Mar 10, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #396 of 517

Rule #4: under no circumstance should you ever reveal how much you spent on headphones
:beyersmile:

Mar 10, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #397 of 517

Spot on and why I said it was a grave risk. 😁

Mar 10, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #398 of 517
Spot on and why I said it was a grave risk. 😁
I fukced up and didn't know we were supposed to meet this morning (we never talked about it). Then I wake up at 12, because it's Sunday, and she messaged me at 8am talking about meeting for coffee. I reply late because I go to bed at 4am on Saturdays, and my messages turn green on an iPhone...lol. On to the next one. She had a language barrier (originally from China), so that might have accounted for the miscommunication.

No headphone talk again, but I imagine it was related to our miscommunication. We had great conversation and a really nice Omakase that threw me back $400 at this Japanese sushi and steak joint. But, there are plenty of fish in the sea. :beyersmile:

Also, I need a new car. My Mazda 3 isn't cutting it anymore. She pulled up in a 7 Series. I think I'll go Audi S3 or S4. Once I get these Imannis headphones, my money is going to a nice car. It's crazy our hobby costs as much as a nice car. :beyersmile:

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #399 of 517
I'm so glad I'm married and I don't have to deal with the dating scene. After we got married, I bought my wife the Sennheiser HD6xx. She still uses it at her office - she has her own office, so open-backs don't bother anyone else, and open-back means she can more easily hear anyone knocking on the door. She didn't like it at first due to the comfort; the clamp pressure put a hotspot below her ears, but after I stretched out the headband by putting it on my miniDSP EARS rig, she used it more after that. My wife isn't an audiophile, so she doesn't really care that much about sound and will use AirPods happily, but she still recognizes quality.

Unfortunately, I have a sneaking suspicion that my wife is becoming more discerning with headphones. I got tired of my Aeon 2 Closed, but we both liked the design/color and she liked the comfort, so I moved it to the living room for her to use them as her gaming headphones. Well, about two weeks ago, I moved my MDR-Z1R up to the living room setup so I could listen from the couch for a while. I left it connected to the amp up there, replacing the Aeon. My wife tried out the Z1R and used it for playing Infinite Wealth: Like A Dragon. She told me, without prompting, that she liked them a lot. They were comfortable and their spaciousness was better for locating the ambient sounds in the game, so it was more immersive than the Aeon. She finished Infinite Wealth last week and returned the Z1R to my home office. Then I went out for a business trip last week. When I returned, the Z1R was no longer in my office. It had gone back to the living room where it was connected to the setup in place of the Aeon. When I asked her, she said she had moved them back to finish playing the Uncharted remasters. So she has a clear preference for the sound of the Z1R over the Aeon such that she went out of her way to move the headphones from my setup to hers, and replaced the balanced cable that was attached with the unbalanced cable that works with the living room setup.

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #400 of 517
I know how you feel. My wife had a Kawasaki Vulcan S. I sold my Ducati XDiavel S an bought a 22 Goldwing Non-Tour. Then she said after I finished customizing it, she will do me a favor. She will take that one and I should go buy another one. So now I have a 23 Goldwing Tour and the 22. She won’t even touch the Vulcan S.

St least she don’t care about my audio equipment.

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #401 of 517
Nah, it turned out all good. The green bubble wasn't a block, it was just she turned her phone off. She was beautiful as fukc, but her musical tastes were questionable. She was really into EDM. I was like, I like metal and hip-hop. She's like, send me some songs. I have no idea what to send her. I like super negative rap and metal, like funeral doom and black and death metal (which I tried to explain to her, but it didn't work out). Sharing your favorite songs is scary. I think you can tell a lot about a person by what music they like. What I listen to says something about me, and only a few girls can understand that. I need to up my EDM game. :beyersmile:

Anybody into EDM? I'd like a few examples to listen to. I like EDM, but it's not my preferred genre, so I'm outta the game with that. My bro is really into it (he even played it at his wedding). Maybe he'll know :thinking:

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #402 of 517
I usually listen to certain subgenres of EDM, mainly future bass and trance and similar subgenres. EDM is a very broad umbrella term for many different types of music. House, trap, dubstep, trance, drum'n'bass, glitch-hop, and others are pretty distinct from each other and yet all fall under the EDM umbrella. And even those subgenres I mentioned have split and melded, so there are lots of cross-over genres. Like dubstep started with these really sparse beat-focused tracks back in the 90s, then Skrillex et al. came along and popularized the aggressive "bro-step" variant that was common like 15 years ago, and then there's melodic dubstep from guys like Trivecta that retain the two-step beat rhythm of dubstep but include more prominent melodies. All of these are dubstep, but liking one of those types doesn't mean you'll like the others.

EDM has also moved into the pop scene, so a lot of pop songs in the past decade or two have included some EDM elements. Pop EDM is like The Chainsmokers and Marshmello. I generally like EDM that are heavy on melody, include vocals, and include some acoustic elements. Artists like Dabin, Illenium, Culture Code, William Black, Nurko, Seven Lions, and Trivecta. For more aggressive, synth-heavy music, I often listen to Excision, Ray Volpe, Kill The Noise, if found, and Blanke (Blanke does both the softer melodic stuff and the heavier/harder stuff). I'm not a big fan of the pure noise/synth tracks; taking an album that a mix of EDM subgenres, in "Thrive" by SLANDER, I like the tracks "Halfway Down", "Love Is Gone", "Walk On Water", and "Watch Over Me", which all include more vocal and melodic elements, but I'm not a fan of "Before Dawn" and "Second Life" which are in the harder pure-synth style.

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:20 AM Post #403 of 517
And I’ve been drooling over your Phonique DHT for quite a while now.
It's another level. You know what to do.

Definitely welcome your list of recommendations in addition to the others in my own thread. :) And welcome back around these parts lol
I think you are on the path of Lampizator which is very good and treacherous.

I'd pay attention to the implementation as I don't really dig Lamps engine by example especially at the various price points.

However I'd take my time with it as I personally feel the digital side at a point becomes a fine art.

Mar 13, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #404 of 517
I think Chord Dave gets the rave because it is reasonably priced and is a flagship. Other Hifi brand's flagship players / DACs go many times pricier than Dave. It is a good middle point in general and can certainly be considered as end-game for Head-fiers, but for people who are also into two channel speaker systems, Dave may not be "enough".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back