Summit-Fi Random Thoughts
Mar 9, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #376 of 572
msb premier, got to listen. when i can back up the backo of cash cause if i like, got to pull the trigger. other than that, ill stick to TT and enjoy wa 33 ee

Mar 9, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #377 of 572
msb premier, got to listen. when i can back up the backo of cash cause if i like, got to pull the trigger. other than that, ill stick to TT and enjoy wa 33 ee
Are you saying you’re going to hear it or we all need to hear it?

Mar 9, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #378 of 572
The cult like following has been an issue for many years, and it's really annoying.. and it's also not the majority of fans really. But it's a reason I almost avoided Chord altogether, but I'm glad I didn't. I absolutely would take negative takes from chord threads on any other piece of gear with a huge* grain of salt lol. The detail, resolution and spacing is what stands out with it, but at times at the expense of timbre and better, more natural tone. The Hugo2 and Dave both at least have a more analytical leaning sound. Coupled with other resolution first geared products, such as the BHSE, and yea it can be a bit much... add a 009 to that equation and just insane, in your face detail and holographic layering, but with a somewhat fatiguing experience (I can say that for sure from years of experience, and I loved the chain). That kind of sound used to be my pure bread and butter, but I guess old age has caused me to at least absolutely want a warmer, less analytical chain in comparison to contrast.

A DAC with a less analytical sound w/the BHSE also alleviates that quite a bit. My only issue is that even with the more expensive DCS, the areas where the DAVE shines, it seem to shine even against that tier of gear. If you've seen my other thread, I'm on the hunt for a DAC that can shine in the spacing/resolution area in similar ways, while improving in others.
I think you need to hear the Wavedream. ConvinceMeAudio does a nice comparison of it vs DAVE vs May. It’s similar to DAVE in resolution, imaging, dynamics, and separation but also more natural leaning timbre. I never A/B but my impression matches CMA review

Mar 10, 2024 at 1:20 AM Post #379 of 572
So, I was on this date with this beautiful girl tonight. I said I was into high-end headphones. She's like, I know those...the ones with the B on the side, right? I said, Beats? She said yeah. I was like, well, those cost $300 and I'm talking about $6K headphones like Abyss and Hifiman. She was floored at the cost :beyersmile: She's like, who would buy those? I said audiophiles. She was still floored. :beyersmile:

Normal people can't understand our hobby. $6k headphones seems so outrageous to them, but it's normal for us Summit-fi folks. Sh!t was just funny to me :beyersmile:. I didn't tell her I had $18k headphones at one point :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #380 of 572
So, I was on this date with this beautiful girl tonight. I said I was into high-end headphones. She's like, I know those...the ones with the B on the side, right? I said, Beats? She said yeah. I was like, well, those cost $300 and I'm talking about $6K headphones like Abyss and Hifiman. She was floored at the cost :beyersmile: She's like, who would buy those? I said audiophiles. She was still floored. :beyersmile:

Normal people can't understand our hobby. $6k headphones seems so outrageous to them, but it's normal for us Summit-fi folks. Sh!t was just funny to me :beyersmile:. I didn't tell her I had $18k headphones at one point :beyersmile:

cigg:... 6k abyss...
chick: shut up and take me now.

Mar 10, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #381 of 572

sometimes we need to take a step back and realise how crazy all of this really is. i know at least for me, things that are just normalised to me now would probably sound crazy when i was just starting with this hobby. :)

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 1:46 AM Post #382 of 572
sometimes we need to take a step back and realise how crazy all of this really is. i know at least for me, things that are just normalised to me now would probably sound crazy when i was just starting with this hobby. :)
My family also told me I had too many headphones and spent too much money on this hobby. Then I pointed to the back yard and reminded them of the 100K USD I just blew on the garage plus 20K usd vacation they just had using my credit card and they left me alone.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 4:34 AM Post #383 of 572

You took a very grave risk there! Very brave of you, but is she seeing you again??

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #384 of 572
You took a very grave risk there! Very brave of you, but is she seeing you again??
Luckily, she is. She’s got fancy sh!t too, so it’s not a big deal to her that I have expensive hobbies. She was just super surprised that there were $6k headphones. I found it funny she thought the best you could buy are Beats, and I suspect most normal people think that too.

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #385 of 572
cigg:... 6k abyss...
chick: shut up and take me now.
That would explain why Dekoni offers condoms :D
Luckily, she is. She’s got fancy sh!t too, so it’s not a big deal to her that I have expensive hobbies. She was just super surprised that there were $6k headphones. I found it funny she thought the best you could buy are Beats, and I suspect most normal people think that too.
Well how would they, here in germany you're either into the hobby already or you don't get exposed to HiFi gear at all.
Normal electronics stores maybe carry Sennheiser and Bose, but those models also stop in the low hundreds.
I would imagine that this is the same in the US and most countries even.

Mar 10, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #386 of 572
The cult like following has been an issue for many years, and it's really annoying.. and it's also not the majority of fans really. But it's a reason I almost avoided Chord altogether, but I'm glad I didn't. I absolutely would take negative takes from chord threads on any other piece of gear with a huge* grain of salt lol. The detail, resolution and spacing is what stands out with it, but at times at the expense of timbre and better, more natural tone. The Hugo2 and Dave both at least have a more analytical leaning sound. Coupled with other resolution first geared products, such as the BHSE, and yea it can be a bit much... add a 009 to that equation and just insane, in your face detail and holographic layering, but with a somewhat fatiguing experience (I can say that for sure from years of experience, and I loved the chain). That kind of sound used to be my pure bread and butter, but I guess old age has caused me to at least absolutely want a warmer, less analytical chain in comparison to contrast.

A DAC with a less analytical sound w/the BHSE also alleviates that quite a bit. My only issue is that even with the more expensive DCS, the areas where the DAVE shines, it seem to shine even against that tier of gear. If you've seen my other thread, I'm on the hunt for a DAC that can shine in the spacing/resolution area in similar ways, while improving in others.
There are some excellent DHT DACs that'll open the third eye.

Mar 10, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #387 of 572
Mar 10, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #388 of 572
I do not speak of price of my gear to anyone. Well my wife knows but, I may use the refrain, it’s used car prices if asked….

Mar 10, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #389 of 572
And I’ve been drooling over your Phonique DHT for quite a while now.

Mar 10, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #390 of 572

Definitely welcome your list of recommendations in addition to the others in my own thread. :) And welcome back around these parts lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back