Summit-fi for bassheads?
Aug 18, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #31 of 58
Had the 900, was much too fatigueing in the treble, have a TH600, and a 9200. The 600 is less fatigueing than the 900, but also not as great. The 9200 is just a different thing entirely - not a bass headphone really, more of a neutral/reference tuning. Just an overall too light weight/bright sound for what I'm after here... Its probably one of the best closed headphones in terms of price/performance/build/usability, quite good as an all rounder, but not exactly a basshead can IMO...
Well , what dac did you use and how old are you ? In my set ups I get good amount of treble and much less sharpness compared to Beyer headphones or Focal.

Aug 19, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #32 of 58
I have already tried them, and loved them, but the build/design just makes them not an option for me... Its rare that someone manages to design something so ridiculously that its a deal breaker for me, but they sadly managed it. I might wanna try a Diana, unless they some day figure out putting a more practical design on the Abyss...
IMO... The Diana and Diana PHI are great headphones and have many of the characteristics of the larger 1266... But they're just not basshead material.

Aug 19, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #34 of 58
Well , what dac did you use and how old are you ? In my set ups I get good amount of treble and much less sharpness compared to Beyer headphones or Focal.
I'm 26, and been under immense stress and mental health "stuff" lately, which has definitely affected my tastes in sound signature. In terms of dac's, lots of various ones; from ipod classic, to Astell Kern AK240, Dragonfly, Mojo, Mytek...

I think currently the B&W P7 fits my tastes well in terms of sound signature, but its obviously not up to snuff in terms of technical ability.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #35 of 58
I'm 26, and been under immense stress and mental health "stuff" lately, which has definitely affected my tastes in sound signature. In terms of dac's, lots of various ones; from ipod classic, to Astell Kern AK240, Dragonfly, Mojo, Mytek...

I think currently the B&W P7 fits my tastes well in terms of sound signature, but its obviously not up to snuff in terms of technical ability.
P7 is good enough and those dacs are good too. Guess it might be your younger ears. Best stick with what you have or get a th900 and eq it.

Aug 19, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #36 of 58
The older you get the more insensitive to treble you become. I can attest to that!

Aug 19, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #37 of 58
The older you get the more insensitive to treble you become. I can attest to that!
I actually find I am more sensitive to treble as opposed to when I was younger, even though I doubt my upper range goes above 15K. I guess what treble I can hear, I am more annoyed by!

Aug 19, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #38 of 58
I heard the LCD-4 out of a Cavalli amplifier (I believe it was the Liquid Fire), and the mid to upper treble was light years away from the harshness of the TH-900.

Aug 19, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #39 of 58
I heard the LCD-4 out of a Cavalli amplifier (I believe it was the Liquid Fire), and the mid to upper treble was light years away from the harshness of the TH-900.
20190816_175514.jpg

Aug 19, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #41 of 58
Aug 19, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #42 of 58
No harshness.

This depends on a lot of things: brain burn-in, volume level, selected tracks, etc. There are some people that say an un-modded HD-800 isn't harsh, yet I believe those people are in the minority or what one might term a "treble-head". I believe that a majority of people who have tried the TH-900 believed that it was harsh.

Aug 19, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #43 of 58
This depends on a lot of things: brain burn-in, volume level, selected tracks, etc. There are some people that say an un-modded HD-800 isn't harsh, yet I believe those people are in the minority or what one might term a "treble-head". I believe that a majority of people who have tried the TH-900 believed that it was harsh.
Well on my N8 tube amp and solid state amp not harsh. For me the HD800 is very bright.

Aug 19, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #44 of 58
I mean, thats more likely to do with the Cavalli - those amps make anything sound god damn glorious! The best I've ever heard my HD800 or Ether sound as well was on a liquid Glass. Cavallis amps tend to add some warmth and bit of low end kick, without compromising detail and accuracy like most tube amps.

But I know some people just don't hear/notice/get bothered by the frequencies above the "Audeze dip", and thus only hear the warm musical signature, so it might also just be that.

Aug 19, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #45 of 58
I actually find I am more sensitive to treble as opposed to when I was younger, even though I doubt my upper range goes above 15K. I guess what treble I can hear, I am more annoyed by!
Same so far, as I'm fairly sure on one hand my hearing has been potentially been compromised due to the bordering on "self harm through music" I've committed at times due to my depression (loud listening to hard electronic, and 24/7 noisecancelling headphones to be able to sleep), but one the other, my main daily drivers for years were the HD800 and T1, both of which I still love, but for my current ears they are just getting too bright, especially with my tendency to want to blast music a bit too loud.

Hearing does inevitably decline with age, however conditions like severe stress/anxiety, as I'm experiencing, heightens the body's alertness level, making things sound brighter (in order to more clearly head where potential threads are coming from). Technically it can apparently even damage your hearing by itself, which is another topic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back