Summi-Fi Drunk Ramblings and Unfiltered Opinions
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 16, 2024 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

Ciggavelli

Headphoneus Supremus
So, as promised, I think we should have a drunk thoughts thread where we leave unfiltered opinions. Give your honest, inebriated thoughts. Only post after a few drinks :beerchug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 16, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 64
Can I just acknowledge how on-the-nose it is that you left off the "t" in the subject line of this thread? Well played, sir!

Jan 16, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 64
Can I just acknowledge how on-the-nose it is that you left off the "t" in the subject line of this thread? Well played, sir!
:beyersmile: That's what drunk posting will do for you :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 64
I'll start out:

The T2 is wildly overrated. It is only marginally better than the 3ES Elite, but everybody thinks is the be all to end all.

The Stax Mafia pisses me off. Their elitism really rubs me the wrong way.

The Shang Sr has a sub-bass problem.

The CFA3 is overrated. It's good, but not the pinnacle as some posters claim.

The Susvara would be better if it used a 1266 TC style loose fitting

Meze headphones are trash. Mid-fi wrapped in Summit-fi asthetics.

People love ZMF headphones mainly because of how they look. Though the Calderas are amazing.

Jan 16, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 64
Jan 16, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 64
Jan 16, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 64
Another controversial thought, Raal could charge a lot more for their headphones. Not good for the consumer, but they could...

Jan 16, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 64
I'll join the fight club lol.
3ES Elite
The 3ES is meh. I tried the Corina on it and thought "wow, this bass is flaccid". A few weeks later, I tried out the Corina on the BHSE and thought "damn, this bass hits hard". Everything that I've heard indicates that BHSE >> 3ES.

At the same time, I also don't take the Stax Mafia's word as gospel. They collectively have a lot of experience with estat amps, but they generally want a particular type of sound from their gear. And anything that doesn't fit that model of what amps and headphones sound like is deemed to be trash. But someone could legitimately want a "floatier" sound to their estats rather than the harder-hitting, "solid" sound that the mafia amps provide.

And their focus on how much parts cost can often be judgmental. Like yeah, of course you can DIY something for cheaper if you didn't have to make a profit on a design and pay for all of the business overheads, and you already had all of the tools and instruments for DIYing that thing.

Jan 16, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 64
Also, why aren't there more women into headphones? I don't get it. Do they not appreciate high quality sound like men? I really can't understand it.

Jan 16, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #11 of 64
I'll start out:

The T2 is wildly overrated. It is only marginally better than the 3ES Elite, but everybody thinks is the be all to end all.
Or maybe the 3ES Elite is underrated.
The Stax Mafia pisses me off. Their elitism really rubs me the wrong way.
The STAX Mafia has nothing on the Chord Crazies... LOL.
The Shang Sr has a sub-bass problem.
Did you ever try applying a bass shelf?
The CFA3 is overrated. It's good, but not the pinnacle as some posters claim.
I've never heard it, but don't subscribe to the notion that "low feedback amps necessarily sound better", so an audition hasn't been a priority.
The Susvara would be better if it used a 1266 TC style loose fitting
It would be more bass-heavy, which would apparently suit your preferences. For my money, Sus is pretty close to a perfectly tuned headphone, off the right amp.
Meze headphones are trash. Mid-fi wrapped in Summit-fi asthetics.
I think the Elite is a solid headphone which is overpriced by about 40%.
People love ZMF headphones mainly because of how they look. Though the Calderas are amazing.
I'm not sure about mainly, but a fair number of their fans appear to be borderline obsessed with the aesthetics. I generally loved the overall presentation of the Caldera, but have to figure out a way to kill the low treble peak. Playing with different pads and mesh is one of my list items for CanJam NYC.

Apologies for posting while sober... I promise to "do better" next time! :beyersmile:

Jan 16, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #12 of 64
Another controversial thought, Raal could charge a lot more for their headphones. Not good for the consumer, but they could...
Shhhhh! What are you doing? You really are drunk. (Though I happen to agree with you).

Jan 16, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #13 of 64
Or maybe the 3ES Elite is underrated.

The STAX Mafia has nothing on the Chord Crazies... LOL.

Did you ever try applying a bass shelf?

I've never heard it, but don't subscribe to the notion that "low feedback amps necessarily sound better", so an audition hasn't been a priority.

It would be more bass-heavy, which would apparently suit your preferences. For my money, Sus is pretty close to a perfectly tuned headphone, off the right amp.

I think the Elite is a solid headphone which is overpriced by about 40%.

I'm not sure about mainly, but a fair number of their fans appear to be borderline obsessed with the aesthetics. I generally loved the overall presentation of the Caldera, but have to figure out a way to kill the low treble peak. Playing with different pads and mesh is one of my list items for CanJam NYC.

Apologies for posting while sober... I promise to "do better" next time! :beyersmile:
I did try a bass shelf on the Shang Sr, but still it was a problem.

The 3ES Elite might be underrated. The Stax Mafia sh!t on it, so everybody thinks it is trash, but it's not.

The Chord stans are crazy; you are right. Though I still own my modded mDAVE.

Next time post drunk
ufdup.png

Jan 16, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #14 of 64
Shhhhh! What are you doing? You really are drunk. (Though I happen to agree with you).
:beyersmile:

Some people only buy expensive sh!t. At $2K to $3500 the CA-1a and SR1a are priced at mid-fi levels, but it is Summit-Fi.

I know @Nomax hates the SR1a aesthetics. He does have a point. They look bad. If Raal changed the look of the headphones they could sell them for $5k. The CA looks bad too. The pads look like some cheap sh!t. I don't care personally (I only care about sound quality), but they look bad.

I shouldn't be posting this. I don't want Raal to get any ideas

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #15 of 64
There was this one poster who was talking about the Hifiman R10P. He said the pricing attracts certain consumers. They sell it at $5.5K and people automatically think it is a good pair of headphones. Pricing can be deceiving. We think more expensive means better, but it doesn't necessarily. I wonder how much pricing affects how somebody likes their headphones. I mean the Shang Sr is $18k and we automatically think it is amazing. But is it really? I think it is amazing, but not $18k amazing. That sh!t should be $10k. I think pricing really affects us. The headphone industry knows this. Sometimes they are trying to trick us...

Would people like the HE-1 as much if it was $18K? I don't think they would.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back