Summi-Fi Drunk Ramblings and Unfiltered Opinions
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #46 of 64
You gotta find the needle in the haystack on those IEMs. It’s a lot easier to find the good ones in headphones than on IEMs.

IEMs to me have hit a wall. I’ve yet to find one that can absolutely match a Susvara in details let alone E-stats

Jan 17, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #47 of 64
This is not the main part of what I’m getting at.

Majority of people in summit-fi are just attracted to shiny things and really don’t have very much experience or perhaps just skill, to even discern what is objectively good. Aka - people with the money to just dive right into TOTL with little appreciation for what they’re even getting. Like someone buying expensive bottles of wine and an undeveloped palette to appreciate it.

[Many luxury products have this sort of dilemma but ours in particular since people’s hearing linearly worsens as they age (but also grow in ability to financially afford).]

While this might seem like a very subjective interest - and I would agree taste does differ among preferences - we have instead created an echo chamber of novices which then affects other’s buying choices … which then cascades into the manufacturing itself being controlled by the process.

My second point is that if we accept that this is inevitable- then the hobby has truly just become another of many other buckets of collectibles with diminished benefit beyond the sense of luxury it provides.

I think this is just a natural part of any hobby with high price tags. For the most part people equate a price tag with "better" or "best". And many just want to have whatever is deemed best to be at the head of the pack. It's unfortunate, but also inevitable really.

4. I cannot hear major differences in different DAPs. Heck, in a blind test, I'll probably fail to tell them apart.

Honestly, there is a lot of gear I don't think I'd accurately identify in a blind test. A while back I did a pretty thorough amp shootout with the Susvara, Expanse and Utopia, and between my two speaker amps and my EC Studio B, they were all really really close. Spending ample time with each amp separately I could appreciate the small nuances of each, but definitely would struggle in a blind test. (Although all three were a step above another amp I had on hand at the time). That brings me to this... I really hate when people refer to blind tests as an ultimate end all, be all lol. I do think A/B'ing, blind or not, can really shed light on how much hyperbole is thrown around here however.

Jan 17, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #48 of 64
Hi-fi is a wonderful hobby, if that’s what it is and it’s not just for showing off.

What is underestimated by many is the art and craft of putting together a system that sings. Opinion vs. experience and knowledge are very different things. It’s the people who mainly hold opinions that sometimes make forums deeply annoying.

I also find that it helps to have experience with 2–channel systems. Headphones have their limitations and it’s hard to find everything that’s possible going by this experience alone.

I don’t drink. Anyway, a toast to everyone else here.
:L3000: :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #49 of 64
I tried to enter the IEM game but nah not for me. Too expensive. Did demo a few in Canjam last year and got FiR XE6 at a decent deal. It’s a fun IEM and that’s it for me. Don’t want to enter that side anymore unless I have money to burn.
I missed the fun of putting together synergistic system in portable world. Get a DAP, IEM, tips and you are done. No No, I want to cultivate more

Jan 17, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #50 of 64
IEMs are so fast paced these days and same with DAPs and OSs. I'm waiting for a Susvara level IEM in terms of detail and resolution and I haven't heard any IEM that comes close, including Storm and Traillii

Jan 17, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #51 of 64
I am old school - no replacement for displacement.

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #52 of 64
:beyersmile:

Some people only buy expensive sh!t. At $2K to $3500 the CA-1a and SR1a are priced at mid-fi levels, but it is Summit-Fi.

I know @Nomax hates the SR1a aesthetics. He does have a point. They look bad. If Raal changed the look of the headphones they could sell them for $5k. The CA looks bad too. The pads look like some cheap sh!t. I don't care personally (I only care about sound quality), but they look bad.

I shouldn't be posting this. I don't want Raal to get any ideas

Lol

NOMAX

PS.Many manufacturers simply lack capable industrial designers 😎
Not only raal....here I can think of a few more😉

IEMs are so fast paced these days and same with DAPs and OSs. I'm waiting for a Susvara level IEM in terms of detail and resolution and I haven't heard any IEM that comes close, including Storm and Traillii

Yes, many many years ago.... already foresaw that Oriolus was on the right track👍
(They were still unknown at the time when the photo was taken)

IMG_1110.jpeg

NOMAX

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #53 of 64
I'm now on my second pair of custom IEMs. The first lasted over a decade and could've been fixed but I lost them during my cross country move. The UE11 pros, just absolutely amazing. I've probably not used any audio product more.

Recently got the UE Premier at a huge discount at CanJam and the sound is perfect, but they protrude out of the ear more than the UE11s did and makes a world of a difference weight and comfort wise. I'm going to ask if I can replace with the UE18 pros, but if not, I definitely just have a dud that won't get much use. Complete opposite experience of the UE11s, which is really ironic and quite frustrating. Still think customs are a great way to go, the UE11s comfort was by far.. and I mean by far, much better than any non-custom IEMs I've ever tried.. and I've a lot back in the day. The amount of options now are just insane though lol

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #54 of 64
Yes, many many years ago.... already foresaw that Oriolus was on the right track👍
(They were still unknown at the time when the photo was taken)

IMG_1110.jpeg

NOMAX

Can't wait for an even better Traillii! I will put my chips on Oriolus being the first manufacturer to finally reach Susvara/HE1000SE resolution/detail in the future

Jan 17, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #55 of 64
You all realized you need to be “drunk” to post on this thread right? I’m “drinking” some “black ice tea”.

Jan 17, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #56 of 64
So, as promised, I think we should have a drunk thoughts thread where we leave unfiltered opinions. Give your honest, inebriated thoughts. Only post after a few drinks :beerchug:
I barely drink anymore, but I am loving the posts in this thread. :thumbsup:

Jan 17, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #57 of 64
I thought I was the only one with these “inappropriate thoughts“ 🤣 but it looks like I am far from being the only one.

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #58 of 64
Looks like honeymoon period is over for E3. What I am puzzled about is why don’t they just return the cans and take 5% restocking fee hit rather than trying to sell in the classifieds. Classifieds look pretty dead as well with very few items sold.

I still cannot make up my mind on my expectation for Composer - it’s either a bargain Utopia or a hot mess. Guess I will have to wait until the next CanJam/Axpona.

Jan 18, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #59 of 64
Looks like honeymoon period is over for E3. What I am puzzled about is why don’t they just return the cans and take 5% restocking fee hit rather than trying to sell in the classifieds. Classifieds look pretty dead as well with very few items sold.

I still cannot make up my mind on my expectation for Composer - it’s either a bargain Utopia or a hot mess. Guess I will have to wait until the next CanJam/Axpona.
I was never sold on the E3 headphones; glad I passed.

The composer has a lot of hype. I'm skeptical, but I gotta admit the hype has attracted my attention. I look forward to trying them out if I go to Can Jam NYC again

Jan 18, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #60 of 64

Have seen lot of E3 in classified lately and all are like a week old. I had same thought, why not just send it back…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back