Summer 2005 SoCal Meet Impressions/Photos
Aug 18, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #166 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by brianknewbie
icon10.gif

Well to each their own -- the PS-1s are still my favorite phone
cool.gif
. While it didnt handle that one particular part of the track the way the HD650 did, from how you and Edwood were describing it, I was expecting much, much, MUCH worse than what it ended up being...

Yeah, I listened to the track with the PS-1's on the Meridian and Stealth right before Brian did. I guess I can't hear as well as you guys because it didn't bother me that much. I agree with Ray about the PS-1's being a "load on the head," but they are excellent headphones, especially balanced on the G-Reference. Also note that Brian's PS-1 was modified to run on a balanced setup so maybe that affected the performance on the Stealth. I don't know.

That bass track must be the deal breaker for you LFF because on day one you told me that the balanced PS-1's were awesome. I wonder how the Beyer DT770's would handle that track.
basshead.gif

Aug 18, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #167 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
That bass track must be the deal breaker for you LFF because on day one you told me that the balanced PS-1's were awesome. I wonder how the Beyer DT770's would handle that track.
basshead.gif

Yes - that was the deal breaker. Don't get me wrong - they are excellent headphones. I just think they suck for the $$$$.
tongue.gif

Aug 18, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #170 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by ivandal
nothings overrated if it fits your style, hehe.

I guess what I mean is i love the Rs-1, love love love. and listened to the PS-1 and was like "ummm... erm?" not worth the money, might as well just get a modded RS-1 (for comfort) and be happy -->
rs1smile.gif

Aug 18, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #171 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
I guess what I mean is i love the Rs-1, love love love. and listened to the PS-1 and was like "ummm... erm?" not worth the money, might as well just get a modded RS-1 (for comfort) and be happy -->
rs1smile.gif

Completely second this opinion. I was impressed with the balanced PS-1's early on day 1 but probably more so because I had never heard balanced headphones before day 1 of the meet. Later on that evening on day 1 I heard balanced HD-650's and was totally blown away. However, I did not have balanced RS-1's to listen to.

Based upon the stock cables though, I also feel the PS-1's are overrated and extremely overpriced. I just feel the RS-1 are more of a reference 'phone and more of a bargain when compared to the PS-1's. However, if you like the PS-1's and they make you happy then by all means - buy them and listen to them and share them. All I am saying is that they are not worth it for me. Any headphone which can't handle my demo discs well enough are just not worth it IMHO. I would much rather stick to the RS-1's and the visual and audio bliss they provide. If that apple where not infront of my icon, you could see how happy he truly was listening to them.
rs1smile.gif

Aug 19, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #173 of 229
I would like to add my voice to all those before me to say thanks to LFF,Luis,
& Edwood for organizing this fantastic two days meet.
A special thanks to Peter Rasla & Associates, P.L.C., Attorneys and Counselors at Law for opening their doors to us & trusting us in their place of business to have this very impressive meet. I personally was very impressed by the location & the offices of this great firm.
Two days with so much time to spend with great headfiers, many of which I wanted to meet so much in person, RnB180, crazyfrenchman, I asked him if he was french he said NO, nanahachi, brianknewbie, jasper994, BRBjackson, rx7_fan, Borat, jonL, I love your avater man, you are killing me, Edwood, servinginequadour, & the host himself LFF. Sorry that I did not mention the names of all the other headfiers whom I had fun talking to & enjoy their company.
I would like to say that Luis has such a wonderful taste for music, I was in a trans listening to his collection of none ending great music of latin jazz, & clasical music. I have never listened to so much music in one sitting like I did on Sunday enjoying the company of the great host.
I loved the sense of humor that this group had, as there was a real envelope with my name written on it asking the headfiers to donate some of their change for my breakfast, I think there was a lot of money donated there until tyll got hold of the envelop.
I would like to thank Bill, BRBJackson, for the time that he put in picking me up from the airport & making the hotel reservation for me.
I truely had a great time specially when we went to the mall for dinner, man you people have out of this world beautiful women in California, I was shocked by their looks & the way they dress.
I can't be more thankful for every one especially Peter who gave me rides so many times, for Bill to call me early Monday morning asking if he could me a ride to the airport. I would say this, if any one of you makes it Chicago, you rest assured that you will have a place to stay, eat & sleep.
Thanks.
Ray Samuels

Aug 19, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #175 of 229
Quote:

Ray, did you find your missing Hornet board?

Hope life finds you well
smily_headphones1.gif

No my friend, it just vanished in the thin air. Very possible it got lost among the big components & by mistake it was packed with some gear.
Ray Samuels

Aug 19, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #176 of 229
Again, Ray, it was a true pleasure having you there at the meet. Thanks so much for coming all the way out to CA. hope you find your missing board!

Aug 19, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #177 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
No my friend, it just vanished in the thin air. Very possible it got lost among the big components & by mistake it was packed with some gear.
Ray Samuels

I really really hope somebody did not take it to attempt to steal your design ideas
frown.gif

BTW it was great spending time talking and laughing with you at the meet. Not sure if you remember me, but I seem to remember you saying "I like the way this guy phrases things" when i used some.. erm.. "colorful language"
evil_smiley.gif
Thanks for the compliment
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #178 of 229
Quote:

I really really hope somebody did not take it to attempt to steal your design ideas
frown.gif

I don't Ray is at all worried about that. The bare PCB won't give any details as to the values of the resistors used or the IC's as well.

And there is more to Ray's amps than just the circuit layout. There is the quality of the parts, and the immaculate craftsmanship.

Fortunately Ray said he had another one (bare PCB), so he can show it off on other occasions. I think he should have it tethored next time.
wink.gif

-Ed

Aug 19, 2005 at 1:50 PM Post #179 of 229
Quote:

frown.gif

BTW it was great spending time talking and laughing with you at the meet. Not sure if you remember me, but I seem to remember you saying "I like the way this guy phrases things" when i used some.. erm.. "colorful language"
evil_smiley.gif
Thanks for the compliment
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Hey friends... You really do not have to worry about the little pc brd, it is not the end of the world, though I do appreciate your concern very much.
Sduibek, my friend, what makes you think I do not remember you? You have a great picture sitting with your legs streched on another chair while listening to the SR-71 as an amp. It was pleasure meeting you & all the friends whom I forgot their names at the SoCal meet.
Ray Samuels

Aug 19, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #180 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Yes - this is complete true. PS-1's distorted beyond compare and I tried it with different amps and sources with the same track. This is one of the main reasons I think the PS-1's SUCK. Mr. Ray Samuels even agreed with me calling the PS-1's a "waste of 1500 bucks and a load on the head."

When I was A/B comparing PS-1 and SR225 on a Gilmore V1, I was surprised that the SR225 sounded better. The PS-1 had a ringing problem in the upper-midrange. Listening to Jazz at Pawnshop, when the sax or the piano hit certain notes, the sound was blown out of proportion. Perplexed by this, I grabbed another PS-1, and the second PS-1 did not have such a problem and easily bettered SR225. My conclusion was that one of the PS-1 at the meet was somewhat defective. I hate to mention whose PS-1 it was, but since here is a whole string of discussions about PS-1 being distorted, I think it is OK for me to disclose it. Unfortunately, the distorted (IMHO) PS-1 had Ray's sticker over it (sorry, Ray
rolleyes.gif
). But this is just my brief impression of comparing two PS-1 and one SR225, so I could be wrong and YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back