Summer 2005 SoCal Meet Impressions/Photos
Sep 18, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #211 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by foo_me
Don't want to give the impression that there were any thieves at the meet or among the members here. It was an accident...I left the PS1's at the meet by accident (get absent-minded sometimes) and they were in fact found, but while in storage, they went missing, most likely thrown away by mistake. Given the people involved, I have no reason to believe it was anything but a bad accident.

I try not to think about it much...crap happens...but I miss them alot. I'll most likely get another pair in the near future, but until then, I have the qualia and k3000 to keep me occupied
smily_headphones1.gif

At the next meet, we are going to tether all your gear to you.
wink.gif

-Ed

Sep 18, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #212 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by foo_me
Don't want to give the impression that there were any thieves at the meet or among the members here. It was an accident...I left the PS1's at the meet by accident (get absent-minded sometimes) and they were in fact found, but while in storage, they went missing, most likely thrown away by mistake. Given the people involved, I have no reason to believe it was anything but a bad accident.

I try not to think about it much...crap happens...but I miss them alot. I'll most likely get another pair in the near future, but until then, I have the qualia and k3000 to keep me occupied
smily_headphones1.gif

I am very sorry to hear that.

Sep 29, 2005 at 9:36 AM Post #214 of 229
So, slightly on-topic for this thread due to previous discussion about my PS-1:

I listened to them for the first time in a while (weeks?) tonight and there is a very distinct buzzing in the right can -- I have to send it back to Todd for repair/replacement.

So, LFF and Edwood, your visceral reaction to clipping on my PS-1 with that bass monster song w/ timpany drum may or may not be related to the start of this defect
smily_headphones1.gif
... I have barely listened to it since then so maybe the problem was already there, in some form, and is more noticeable now.

Sep 29, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #216 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by brianknewbie
So, slightly on-topic for this thread due to previous discussion about my PS-1:

I listened to them for the first time in a while (weeks?) tonight and there is a very distinct buzzing in the right can -- I have to send it back to Todd for repair/replacement.

So, LFF and Edwood, your visceral reaction to clipping on my PS-1 with that bass monster song w/ timpany drum may or may not be related to the start of this defect
smily_headphones1.gif
... I have barely listened to it since then so maybe the problem was already there, in some form, and is more noticeable now.

It also might be that the timpani blew the driver out
tongue.gif
Joke! If you know the recording is clean i guess it's the cans. My stax sounded broken till i found out the breakup in the highs was the recording and my Stax was resolving enough to root it out hehe.

Sep 29, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #217 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by brianknewbie

smily_headphones1.gif

No - it's the PS-1's. The RS-1's can the track slightly better but still clips. I know its the PS-1's because I listened to more than 1 at the meet and they all clipped. So do PS-1's suck @ss? - are the PS-1's bad?

No, they are very nice cans. I love the Grado sound but I feel that for the price and sound quality, the RS-1 is the top of the heap for Grado.

Sep 29, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #218 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
I love the Grado sound but I feel that for the price and sound quality, the RS-1 is the top of the heap for Grado.

Yes, of course -- few would say that the PS-1s are twice as "good" (all-encompassing) than RS-1, but they are twice the cost.

But law of diminishing returns went out the window a long time ago -- for me, I like PS-1 more. I did not really consider if it was 10% better, 50% better etc -- just that I like it more
icon10.gif

Sep 29, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #219 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
It also might be that the timpani blew the driver out
tongue.gif
Joke! If you know the recording is clean i guess it's the cans. My stax sounded broken till i found out the breakup in the highs was the recording and my Stax was resolving enough to root it out hehe.

Interesting.....yes with this specific case, it is definitely the headphones. It literally sounds like there is something loose that certain notes make it then rattle + buzz, and it is only in the right driver. And it is songs that I have listened to before, without any problem.

I'm pretty confident that Todd will take care of it (assuming he recovers from HF-1 exhaustion), but it will be inconvenient to send back for replacement (they are already recabled, so I'm guessing cannot be replaced)

On the bright side, without PS-1s, I am forced to rediscover 650 with balanced Mobius so not all that bad
icon10.gif

Oct 6, 2005 at 8:15 AM Post #222 of 229
Anybody up for a winter meet?

Oct 6, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #225 of 229
I'm up for another meet. Just say when and where.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back